The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Feeding Crickets Mealworms?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Doodlepig
Pandinus
Doodlepig

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Feeding Crickets Mealworms? Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Crickets Mealworms?   Feeding Crickets Mealworms? Empty8/6/2010, 8:46 pm

Crickets are omnivores right, so would feeding them occasional mealworms with vegatables and fruit make them more nutritous for your scorpion?

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Crickets Mealworms?   Feeding Crickets Mealworms? Empty8/8/2010, 11:23 am

I'm a complete noob and don't really know what I'm talking about, so any constructive criticism on my comment below is more than welcome but these are my thoughts.

Since the scorps are eating the crickets they are getting the protein from them and not really from the meal worms the crickets are eating. It would probably more beneficial to get the nutrients form the vegies/fruit the crickets might eat.

Although as I wrote that I thought about this. I'm not sure if protein affects insects the way it does humans, but protein is needed to promote muscle growth and development, so it could make for a meatier cricket. If this was the case your thoughts would be on the money.

I had also just posted a question regarding breeding feeders and was recommended to look at Blaptica Dubia Cockroaches. In doing so I found a lot cool information. An example of this is on TheRoachGuy.Com It is under nutrients and the direct link is: The Roach Guy/ Nutrients

Just thought I'd share that last part since you seemed to be interested in nutrients. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doodlepig
Pandinus
Doodlepig

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Crickets Mealworms?   Feeding Crickets Mealworms? Empty8/8/2010, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, the info was great!

Over a year ago I fed my Urodacus Manicatus, 3 or 4 mealworm over a period of time and it became Morbidly Obese, and to date (a year later) it hasent eaten a thing and is now still slightly fat.

I was also thinking that crickets fed on mealworms might have the same detrimental affect.

After seeing the Nutrients info it seems that crickets are better food than mealworms anyway, as the crickets are higher in protein and lower in fat.

so feeding crickets mealworms now seems pointless.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Crickets Mealworms?   Feeding Crickets Mealworms? Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding Crickets Mealworms?
Page 1 of 1