The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus Swammerdami

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tel0s
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/29/2010, 5:12 pm

So I received my H. Swammi in the post today, and I put it into its new home. I gave it a cricket and it seemed to disregard it, and was almost apprehensive of its presence. Also, it's done a lot of running around in "threat stance". Is this something to worry about, and is there anything I can do to help it settle in? I crushed the head of a cricket and it still didnt take to it. it's currently about 2-3 inches long. I'll post pics shortly.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/29/2010, 7:20 pm

Leave it alone for a couple of days to let it settle in before you try to feed it.
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 3:40 am

So it's nothing to be worried about? awesome. thanks Smile

Man this stuff is addictive. who wants to send me my next scorpion? Razz I dont particularly want emperors or a Desert hairy, any reccommendations? Smile (they'll also have to be available from a UK breeder/reputable store)
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:26 am

That's pretty typical behavior. As binksy said, it'll settle in and probably start to burrow if given adequate substrate.

To quench your addiction, a communal setup would be nice so you can see more and feed more Very Happy
Try Centruroides vittatus or Babycurus jacksoni.

Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 11:15 am

H. laoticus wrote:
That's pretty typical behavior. As binksy said, it'll settle in and probably start to burrow if given adequate substrate.

To quench your addiction, a communal setup would be nice so you can see more and feed more Very Happy

I've thought as much, however, would they not attack each other? Are there specific species/genus which would be less aggressive to each other?

also, Im under the impression that Centruroides are buthids, and I need a licence to keep these, which i dont have.
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 2:07 pm

tel0s wrote:
H. laoticus wrote:

I've thought as much, however, would they not attack each other? Are there specific species/genus which would be less aggressive to each other?

also, Im under the impression that Centruroides are buthids, and I need a licence to keep these, which i dont have.

Why do you need a licence to keep them?
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 2:11 pm

Joey wrote:
tel0s wrote:
H. laoticus wrote:

Why do you need a licence to keep them?

Aparrently I've been told laws in the UK state that it is illegal to keep buthids without a convaluted permit by mr mordax.
"fat tails are illegal without a convoluted permit." Sad I dont know where to get one of these, or how much they cost.
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 2:12 pm

i would just keep hush hush ...then search the net and make calls and find out this way you cover your ass if some how someone finds out or whatever
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 2:24 pm

You won't be able to Joey i'm afraid Wink

It is called a DWA licence - feel free to look it up. You need a set of requirements in your home that will be inspected and you have to pay a fee anually that ranges depending on your local council anywhere from £200 a year to £5000 a year and so on.

So, basically you probably won't be able to have one Razz

You are correct in thinking you can't have the two species mentioned above without a licence.

I would recommend an Opistophthalmus sp or one of my personal favourites, a bothriurus cf demayi. Smile

Scorpio maurus sp are great as well Smile
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 2:25 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:

It is called a DWA licence - feel free to look it up. You need a set of requirements in your home that will be inspected and you have to pay a fee anually that ranges depending on your local council anywhere from £200 a year to £5000 a year and so on.

You are correct in thinking you can't have the two species mentioned above without a licence.

I would recommend an Opistophthalmus sp or one of my personal favourites, a bothriurus cf demayi. Smile

Thanks Binksy Smile how do I find out what the range of scorpions I can own is? any link to documentation?
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 2:31 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:

Oh thats lame lol, I wonder if I need some type of licence to own any here Question
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 3:04 pm

Wow! that bothriurus cf demayi is really awesome looking. Whats its full unabbreviated name so that I can do some more research?

I've uploaded pictures to a public facebook album, take a look ! Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247873&id=561945970&l=9d9ba44926
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 3:14 pm

tel0s wrote:
Wow! that bothriurus cf demayi is really awesome looking. Whats its full unabbreviated name so that I can do some more research?

That's it! Smile The CF as far as I'm aware doesn't stand for anything.

tel0s wrote:

Nice. 2i is it? or 3i?

tel0s wrote:
how do I find out what the range of scorpions I can own is? any link to documentation?

I posted the answer in the other thread. Here is a link to the DWA list - http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife/protect/documents/dwa-animallist.pdf

Just search for the scorpion section.

Joey wrote:
I wonder if I need some type of licence to own any here Question

I'm pretty sure that you don't need one.
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 3:15 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:
tel0s wrote:

That's it! Smile The CF as far as I'm aware doesn't stand for anything.

tel0s wrote:

Nice. 2i is it? or 3i?

tel0s wrote:
how do I find out what the range of scorpions I can own is? any link to documentation?

I posted the answer in the other thread. Here is a link to the DWA list - http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife/protect/documents/dwa-animallist.pdf

Just search for the scorpion section.

Joey wrote:
I wonder if I need some type of licence to own any here Question

I'm pretty sure that you don't need one.

Thanks for that Very Happy

I've honestly no idea about its instar, It was listed as "L2/3" but seeing as its 2/3 inches long, or could be 2i/3i it could be either Razz

are the demayi/opthalmus rare/difficult to obtain in the UK?

Opistophthalmus Pallipes looks amazing. Anything I should know about this particular sp.?
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 3:39 pm

joey, nobody in Fl or the continental united states needs a permit or license as far as i know
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 3:46 pm

the lycan mikey wrote:
joey, nobody in Fl or the continental united states needs a permit or license as far as i know

Well that's good, hey since your from Florida what do you use as feeder's?
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:03 pm

well since ive got 4, ill break it down real fast
2 pandinus imperator females - 3 large crickets a piece
1 pandinus imperator unsexed 4i - 2 medium sized crickets
1 c. hentzi male (if im right) - 1-2 pinhead crickets (he'll eat every piece of both cricks too)

every 10 days is the amount of time in between feedings, because on day 7-9 they start looking for it, and i get them only gut loaded crickets...(edit) from my local pet store

every so often ive used baby to mid sized anoles "experimentally" and my conclusion is that they'll eat them...but its very rare i do it because the anoles where i live are out of sight by the time i notice them...
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:06 pm

Well there reason i was asking is cause i have reptile like savannah monitors and bearded dragon etc.. and crickets are smelling and die in a few days and i want to see if other Florida people were thinking of breeding some other type of feeder i know i am just dont know what
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:08 pm

try the dubia roaches everyone talks about....

those crickets are never in the tank longer than say....35 hours?
they usually eat all of what i give them pretty quickly...
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:21 pm

dubias are illegal in florida ;/ the only state
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:25 pm

Joey wrote:

How come?
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:26 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:
Joey wrote:

How come?

who knows but no one will ship here
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:34 pm

heres why...
its on a chameleon forum, but they answer it straight out
and someone also posted a site that does ship them to Fl...
lol...

http://www.chameleonforums.com/dubia-roaches-fl-13327/

Last edited by the lycan mikey on 7/30/2010, 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joey
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty7/30/2010, 4:36 pm

yea kinda sucks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Swammerdami   Heterometrus Swammerdami Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus Swammerdami
Page 1 of 1