The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Breeding Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tel0s
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Breeding Questions   7/24/2010, 10:18 pm

Hey guys,

I'm very interested in getting a breeding pair of emperors. They're really hard to find locally, and a few local pet stores are screaming out for them.
I've plenty of reading to do before I start, but I thought I'd ask here for a few tips. what would you guys say the most important things were about breeding emperors?

As far as equipment is concerned, would http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/6-litre-allstore-plastic-storage-box-556-p.asp be large enough to hold a breeding pair or would I require a larger box? Would these boxes suffice for the 1st/2nd/3rd instars? http://www.cornishcrispa.co.uk/cornish-crispa-flipups-bug-tub-pack-of-10-medium-vented-p-755.html

and finally, how long can I expect to wait (very roughly) between births?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the lycan mikey
Tityus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Questions   7/24/2010, 10:27 pm

a general rule for emperors is 5 gallons per emp...
i dont know what the conversion is to liters (sorry)

and if you do manage to get a M/F pair, if they dont do anything noticeable right away, just remove the female for about a week and reintroduce them after the time away is up...

if you do get lucky and they...get lucky...remove the female and put her in a separate container until the babies start to wander on their own...if you want, and the female doesnt eat the young (doubtful) you can keep them altogether or you can get a separate container, aquarium, etc,etc, to keep them in...

keep in mind...im not 100% on this, its just what ive read and can remember...
either way...Good luck...i cant wait to get a mature male to breed with one of my 2 females =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
tel0s
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Questions   7/24/2010, 10:30 pm

the lycan mikey wrote:
a general rule for emperors is 5 gallons per emp...
i dont know what the conversion is to liters (sorry)

and if you do manage to get a M/F pair, if they dont do anything noticeable right away, just remove the female for about a week and reintroduce them after the time away is up...

if you do get lucky and they...get lucky...remove the female and put her in a separate container until the babies start to wander on their own...if you want, and the female doesnt eat the young (doubtful) you can keep them altogether or you can get a separate container, aquarium, etc,etc, to keep them in...

keep in mind...im not 100% on this, its just what ive read and can remember...
either way...Good luck...i cant wait to get a mature male to breed with one of my 2 females =)

Thanks a tonne, Is it likely that Pandinus subspecies display cannibalistic characteristics?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the lycan mikey
Tityus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Questions   7/24/2010, 10:49 pm

ive read a few times that pandinus imperator isnt near as cannabilistic as other sp. but i do believe that unless the female imperator is under stress or theres some kind of deformity in the offspring, there shouldnt be a problem with the cannabilism thing bro
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
binksyboy3
Androctonus

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Questions   7/25/2010, 7:42 pm

You don't necessarily need another container for them to mate in. Just as long as you re-arrange the set-up and add a flat surface like a piece of slate for example.

Then do as Mikey said in terms of introducing and re-introducing the pair if nothing happens. You will have to put them in at the same time.

Although cannibalism is considered very rare amongst this sp, there have been cases of it occuring. So shouldn't be anything to worry about Smile

The gestation period can take any time between approx. 9-18 months.

When the babies are born, the mother will eat any babies that she feels have deformities and don't stand a chance of living so consumes them as useful food for energy. She will also likely eat some babies if she is overly stressed so leaving her alone at that period in time is vital.

When the babies wander of their mother's back (they'll be 2i) then you can:

1) Keep them all together with their mother
2) Keep them all together without their mother (separating her from them)
3) Keep every baby in their own individual containers.

When mine gave birth, I made two set-ups to observe behaviour and survival rates. The first set-up contained one baby living on it's own (It is now 5i and 16 months old).
The second set-up contained 10 originally, but then became 3 as I sold most of them. Those three are also now 5i.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Questions   

Back to top Go down

Breeding Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1