The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively

Go down 
+5
**GS**
wcwalker136
Mr. Mordax
binksyboy3
johnboypitt
9 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboypitt
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-18

[HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty
PostSubject: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty7/19/2010, 2:58 am

hello Smile I have read conflicting things regarding the heating pad. Some say on a portion of the bottom of the habitat, some say on the side, etc... what is the ultimate best place? I live in San Diego, Ca, so it doesn't get very cold in my room. If it does, I usually close up the windows etc. I'm not sure if that info helps make this placement decision, but please let me know. Visually, the bottom would be ideal, so there is no view blockage on the habitat. So i'm hoping that's what the best choice will be for my situation.

Also, i have a thermometer and hygrometer that sticks onto a wall in the cage. Does the depth placement of these matter? I would think that the deeper the more accurate in-cage reading it will give, where as if it were close to the screen top, outside environment might affect the reading. Thank you! Smile

Oh, one other question... will the use of fans in my room affect the habitat at all? I have two that i use sometimes which are pretty powerful and can get the breeze whipping up pretty good, so i wonder if that will cause any cooling to occur inside the tank.

Last edited by GS on 3/16/2012, 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated title)
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty7/19/2010, 4:05 am

You must never place a heat mat underneath your scorp's viv. Scorpions will naturally burrow to get away from the heat when they are too hot, so placing the heat mat underneath will go against their natural instincts and will cause undue amounts of stress and if persistent, could potentially lead to death.

Just stick them against the back side (because that's where your heat mat will be) in the center of the mat.
Only digital thermometers & or hygrometers are reliable - The stick on dial ones are next to useless, they appear like they are giving you a reading but it is a very inaccurate reading.
For an emperor though, you don't need a hygrometer - just pour some water onto the substrate once every week or two and that will give you a constant 80%-90% which is fine.

As for the fan, I recently found out that when I have my fan on at night, my leopard gecko vivarium drops 2 or 3 degrees celcius. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty7/27/2010, 11:14 pm

If you live in San Diego, I hardly think a heatmat is necessary.
Back to top Go down
wcwalker136
Pandinus
wcwalker136

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/2/2011, 11:09 pm

I cant get my heating pad to stick to the back of my tank it keeps falling off.. What can i do to keep it from falling???
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/wcwalker136
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/3/2011, 11:46 am

3M tape?

Something like this below but get the clear transparent one.. as you can remove it without leaving stains.

[HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Scotch%20110

Having said that.. i still recommend using infra red heat lamp if possible Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/3/2011, 11:58 am

I use normal clear packaging tape. Alcohol works good for removing any glue/bits of tape if I need removal.

+1 to GS' advice on IR lamps. I do use mostly pads, but, saying again, mine are custom made from floorheating film, not the ready petstore ripoffs.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/3/2011, 12:54 pm

DolbyR wrote:
I do use mostly pads, but, saying again, mine are custom made from floorheating film, not the ready petstore ripoffs.

Agree.. it's just like making your own coconut hide for your scorpion than to get a ready made ones from the pet-store..
Well.. by choosing the D.I.Y method.. you get to drink the juice too!
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/3/2011, 1:03 pm

Yeah I just tape the mats to the backs of the tanks, they don't get too hot though. Just make sure your mat don't get too hot as some do.

Also agree that IR lamps are better when possible. I don't use them because I sleep in my scorp room, or is it a bedroom, I'm not sure any more. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/18/2011, 8:53 am

JamieLawrence wrote:
Yeah I just tape the mats to the backs of the tanks, they don't get too hot though. Just make sure your mat don't get too hot as some do.

Also agree that IR lamps are better when possible. I don't use them because I sleep in my scorp room, or is it a bedroom, I'm not sure any more. LOL

hahaha i think you sleep in your scorp room Smile

infrared heat lamps ftw
Back to top Go down
infinitebohr
Pandinus
infinitebohr

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty11/18/2011, 9:18 am

Interesting thread. I am having similar questions myself about heating pads and bulbs. I ultimately went with heating pads just because I am not home some weekends and wasn't comfortable leaving the lamps on. Now I'm trying to decide where to put the heating pads I bought as well. My space heater keeps my invert room at 80 F, so I am also worried that the heating pads will drive the temperature too high, I don't believe they are adjustable.

As far as the thermometer and hygrometer I used to use the Flukers digital read out ones (I have a few hermit crab colonies too that require high humidity), but I found that I was replacing batteries every 2 weeks or so. I'm not sure if the high humidity shortens battery life, but it wasn't cost effective to continue to replace them. Currently I am using the Zoomed Duel Thermo/Hygro analog read out. I agree they aren't quite as accurate, but all of the ones I have read exactly the same when I put them all in a tank for testing, so at least they are consistent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively   [HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively Empty

Back to top Go down

[HOW TO] Utilize Heating pad, Thermometer, and Hygrometer effectively
Page 1 of 1