The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Newbie to the World of Scorpions

Go down 
+2
Gnat
jessica.c.rea
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jessica.c.rea
Pandinus
jessica.c.rea

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/23/2010, 11:12 pm

A couple of days ago my dad found a young bark striped scorpion in our home. Instead of squishing they little guy, he allowed me to keep him.

I have him in a "Kritter Keeper" with enough sand in it for burrowing, a small bottle cap of fresh water, and a cricket he's been working on all day (boy can this little guy eat!).

I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

First off, should I even keep him? I feel kind of bad taking him for the wild you know? But I have a feeling he'll die outside because of all our dogs and cats and birds and such.

Second, am I taking care of the little guy properly? Is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable? I've been doing a lot of research, but I figured I would ask some experts Razz

Any advice at all is good advice! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://abandonedvoodoo.deviantart.com/
Gnat
Centruroides
Gnat

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/24/2010, 1:35 am

where are you located? and can you post a pic of your scorp? would help alot in ID'ing what kind of scorp you have and if you are caring for it proper. as far as taking him out of the wild, he probably doesnt care as long as he can find food and can hide to feel safe. would be better off in captivity where he can get a regular meal. care wise, it depends on exactly what kind of scorp you have but give it a piece of bark to climb on/hide under and you should do fine
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/24/2010, 7:53 am

If you've never kept a scorp before then I'd be pesimistic about starting out with a bark scorpion, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for the tank (kritter keeper) I would add a piece of bark and push it into the sand so that it stands almost vertically with a slight slope to it.

And as Gnat said, throw us a pic and we can work out exactly what bark scorpion it is - which in turn will also help us to ensure that you're providing the right conditions for it. Smile
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/24/2010, 8:14 am

my friend also found a stripped house scorp on their house and keeping the animal on arboreal set up...
Back to top Go down
jessica.c.rea
Pandinus
jessica.c.rea

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/24/2010, 1:03 pm

Thank you Gnat and binksyboy3 for the helpful advice!

To answer Gant's questions:
I live in the Texas hill country in a semi rual little town.
And here are some pics of the little guy in his new home:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/24/2010, 2:51 pm

Looks like Centruroides Vittatus
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/24/2010, 5:14 pm

Nice find! If you get a pair they'll be making babies in no time.
Well, if it is a C. vattitus, here's info on their care: https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/caresheets-f29/centruroides-vittatus-t1132.htm

http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/c_vittatus.php
Back to top Go down
jessica.c.rea
Pandinus
jessica.c.rea

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/25/2010, 12:40 pm

thanks everyone for the helpful advice!!

:3 this little guy should be liveing the high life in no time thanks to all of your helpful tips!!
Back to top Go down
DesertHaddy
Pandinus
DesertHaddy

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty6/25/2010, 1:27 pm

Congrats on your little find! :-)

Looks like you've got it sorted to the best extent. Just noticed, if you've got a few little body parts of crickets left over, it is best to remove them to reduce the risk of mould and mites forming... Other than that WELL DONE!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to the World of Scorpions   Newbie to the World of Scorpions Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie to the World of Scorpions
Page 1 of 1