The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Centruroides vittatus babies help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gnat
Centruroides

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Centruroides vittatus babies help!   6/18/2010, 3:30 am

i made a trade this last week, yesterday i recieved my scorps; 3 adults. one is obviously female and the other 2 appear to be female. one of the scorps showed up with a brood on her back. my big question is how do i care for the little ones? i have no experience with this species at all and i was going to work out habitat details as i went. ive read care sheets on them but that only comes to plan as you work with having the scorps. now i have a brood of 1st instar to deal with. what do i do with these guys? i know to let them come off mom on their own before i try to put them in their own container, but how do i care for them after that? i have a new brood of V. caralinianus (from a WC female) that i had planned on using to build my experience with scorplings (they are common in my area so are easy to get) but now i have some C. vittatus slings to deal with. i have a few days to figure it out, they were born in transit from the source location. the C. vittatus are more important to me to keep alive from 1st instar as i wont get anymore soon or at all. (specimens of the species in general). i have a load of 2 oz deli cups to use for the babies after they reach 2i. any advice would be very helpful, i dont have time to learn from my local scorps on how to care for baby scorplings (interesting note: one sling was loose in the cup the mom was shipped in and i tried to put it back on moms back, it ended up in the substrate near her. she picked it up after about 15 minutes and i thought she w\ould eat it but she tried to place on her back; in comparison, my V. caralinianus found a first instar that had fallen off and ate it instead)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
H. laoticus
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Centruroides vittatus babies help!   6/18/2010, 5:59 am

Just keep doing what you're doing until they come off of her back.
Then you can separate them into the deli containers and feed them parts of meal worms/crickets/roaches. You can try pinheads as well.
Make sure their substrate is a bit damp as well.

Do not forget to place vertical pieces of bark in there for them to molt!

This link will do nicely for you, from Brian S:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=67128&highlight=rearing+early+instar

btw, congrats! Pretty lucky to get a nice batch of babies with the trade Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Centruroides vittatus babies help!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1