The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jay
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/16/2010, 11:57 am

Hi all, I just got in from work and was doing the tank checks when i spotted a small white thing in my H. Arizonensis tank. It was just outside the burrow shes been digging recently under the bark. I didnt have a clue what it was at first and gently touched it with the tweezers and I noticed the small tail and then it hit me what it was. Its still moving slightly.

I didnt even notice she was gravid. She hadnt changed since the pics i put up of her recently and definatly didnt look fat and shes been eating. Maybe its just this one baby im not sure as you might know im new to scorps. Did she reject this one? i cant see any others but not sure how far the burrow goes.

I know with my limited experience I probably wudnt be able to raise it anyway but wondering if theres anyhting I can do. Its just came as a bit of a supprise and its not something iv had to look up before.

Thanks Jamie

Pandinus

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/16/2010, 2:24 pm

yep thats a baby and you probably have more to come, im not sure about this species so wait until someone who knows about this species to give you advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
SCORPIONMOD

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/17/2010, 4:03 am

shes out and about this morning and doesnt look fat at all, if anything in need of a meal. So im guessing it was just this one? or can there be this sort of gap between them? didnt think she'd leave the burrow till she was done though. Also abit worried because I can't see the baby now.

Notice your from Essex mate, know any places to get scorps?

Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/17/2010, 5:34 am

I dunno, an aborted baby?
Seems weird that it's only one. She might be holding them in until she feels it's right to give birth, such as the right temperature, humidity. I've read that scorpions (pertains to specific species?) can reabsorb embryos for nutrients. You'll have to double check this for me since it was a while ago, but that does seem very strange to have only 1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
SCORPIONMOD

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/17/2010, 7:18 am

I know, it is strange and struggling to find much about this. I think you could be right about her reabsording the baby, cant see it anywhere. Shes out sunning in the red lamp atm, shone a light down the burrow and theres nothing in there.

Im positive shes not gravid and not any more on the way. But you think its possible for her to only have one and hold the rest back? Interesting stuff but confusing.

Temps are ok but struggling with the humidity to be honest because she has mycosis and dont want to make it any worse. So been keeping it warm and dry with a small spray a week in a corner.

Well suppose at least I know the sex now lol

SCORPIONMOD

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/18/2010, 1:03 pm

Just read in the Manny Rubio book that "underfed, pregnant females commonly absorb some or all of their embryos". Maybe i wasn't feeding her enough not knowing she was gravid. And maybe she did have more in the night before i noticed this one. Suppose i'l never know.

Androctonus

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/18/2010, 4:38 pm

Well, look at it on the bright side, even if she did have several babies that were all healthy, chances are you wouldn't be able to raise them to adulthood anyway because of the difficulties associated with this species.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
SCORPIONMOD

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   6/22/2010, 11:22 am

Very true mate, I knew straight away i'd have no chance of raising them. Specially as she has mycosis on the front legs that the babys are meant to climb up Shocked

It just really supprised me.

Thanks for replies

PostSubject: Re: please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling   

Back to top Go down

please help! Just found random Haddie scorpling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1