The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New to scorps- got a "female" emp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ScorpKid
Pandinus
ScorpKid

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-05-03

New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty
PostSubject: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 5:01 am

just picked up this "female" emp yesterday from a local reptile expo. The vendor told me to get a heat lamp and have it turned on for an hour or two each day to bump up the temps for good digestion (makes sense). He also said use half coco fiber/half sand.. shallow water dish, flat rock, 4 inches of substrate, feed every 2 or 3 days, keep temps between 70-90, humidity around 80%...

from what I just read going through old threads... (I think) I'm glad I didn't use sand! the way y'all put it, it seems like it kills the little guys. (?) anyways, I used half top soil, half cypress mulch (I had it laying around).. I have the temps at 85 during the day and between 75-78 at night. feed 2 adult crickets every 3 days (allowing for "Audrey III" to fully digest her meal AND get adequate exercise) spray the day before feeding.. etc.

seems like a decent schedule to me, no?

any advice is more than welcomed as this is my first scorpion.

-JG
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 8:43 am

Coco fibre as substrate

Feed two to three crickets a week

Pour don't spray (it is ineffective and won't last long) water onto the substrate so that it is damp but not soaking and that should give perfect humidity at 80%-90%. This should last a week or two before you repeat the process.

If you have a heat mat, then you won't need a bulb if you're reaching adequate temps. If you do use a bulb it MUST be a red bulb. Scorpions are negatively phototactic and don't like any light. However, they cannot see red light as it isn't on their spectrum.

Ensure heat mat goes on back side of the tank and NOT underneath. Scorpions burrow to get away from the heat when they are too hot and so by placing it underneath, you are going against their natural instinctive behaviour.

NEVER trust an exotic animals shopkeeper as they usually get things wrong and are just trying to persuade you to buy from them and might tell a few lies in the process making themselves sound knowledgable.

Welcome to the forum and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Smile
Back to top Go down
ScorpKid
Pandinus
ScorpKid

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 10:11 am

sweet. I'll get some coconut fiber and some of those terra cotta balls to put at the bottom, along with the whole tube thing to pour the water into. (I didn't sleep last night so I read and read and read and read some more about scorpions- mostly from here)

I have 16 pythons (all part of the morelia family incase some of you guys are familiar) and a vieled chameleon so my room is at 85 (plus or minus a few degrees) during the day and 75 at night. Audrey III's temp is around 82 during the day. Her humidity was up to 99% all last night so this morning I drilled in some extra holes on one side of the lid for better ventilation.

Now, you say the high humidity should last a week or two... is this due to poor ventilation or due to the whole little resevoir under the substrate? (just curious)

I was looking into the redclaws too, but after reading that they are a bit more aggressive than the emps, a story I read about a kid who had two in one tank and the female ate the male, and that I can't have an emp and a redclaw in the same enclosure (which would be cool..), I decided to just stick with the emps for now. I'll have to get 2 more when the next reptile expo comes around in the next couple months.

2:1 ratio for females to males, correct?

Thanks for the welcome.

-JG

************ do I feed one cricket every two days or do these guys prefer a mini buffet in one night?***********
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 10:53 am

if you do the false bottom setup, and do it right (thats more or less trial and error), than you should sustain perfect humidity...

lol no, dont put the red claw with your emp, thats just cruel to the emp...

2:1 sounds perfect...unless the emperors "grew up" together, id be careful about putting males together...

dude...feed 2-3 crickets once a week...
i feed mine every 10 days just to make sure they will eat after such a long digestion period...

oh, and welcome to scorpion forum dude =)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
ScorpKid
Pandinus
ScorpKid

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 2:00 pm

I'll probably just end up with a 20 gallon long tank and 2.1 emps.. And a single redclaw by himself cause he probably won't play well with others..

My female had eaten 2 roaches yesterday afternoon and happily devoured an adult cricket early this morning.. Is that bad? I heard that you know when to slow down on the feeding once you can see those white stripes from under the sections along the body..?

Oh, and why can't they be in sand?

Last edited by ScorpKid on 5/3/2010, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-read previous reply)
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 2:40 pm

i have a 29 gallon (long) tank for 2 females...
if you want 3 emps in a tank, id get a 30 gallon and make sure theres atleast 2 hides per scorpion until you see which hides they frequesntly dwell...
id get a 10 gallon for the red claw...

nahh its not bad...a scorpion will gorge itself, given the opportunity...
lol you slow down on feeding when they turn the food away...

white stripes under the body?? somebody else will have to tell you the answer to that, ive never heard that before...

because they are tropical forest dwellers...
and i believe the the sand will cause impaction (digestive problems)...
im not 100% sure so dont quote me, i just know someone told me not to, so i dont lol
Back to top Go down
ScorpKid
Pandinus
ScorpKid

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 2:46 pm

I meant the white part between each little "plate" that you see when the scorp is too fat.

-JG
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 3:30 pm

You mean the grey membrane between the tergites (plates) - Yes it is completely normal if it is visible. Smile
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/3/2010, 3:31 pm

nevermind, binksy answered it lol...
i was completely lost @
Back to top Go down
ScorpKid
Pandinus
ScorpKid

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/4/2010, 12:23 am

my bad. yeah those things. I read that if you see those being very visible, you're feeding too much.

if a 10 gallon is perfect for one, and a 30 gallon is perfect for 3, wouldn't a 20 gallon be perfect for 2?

I want to get some scorplings.. 2 female and 1 male.. not sure where to get them so young though. How quick do emps grow? Would it be reasonable to put 3 scorplings in a 30 gallon tank?

aaaannnddddddddd my emp I got.... I don't know how many times she has molted.. is that an issue? how do I know when they are about to molt so I can bump up humidity? (poor feeding response?)

thanks for all the advice

-JG
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty5/4/2010, 2:07 am

Most sugest 5 gallons per scorp as a rule of thumb. If the membrane is visible, then they are at a good weight. Scorpions won't die from overfeeding. They can be hugely fat revealing lots and lots of the membrane but then they will gorge themselves when they have eaten too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to scorps- got a "female" emp   New to scorps- got a "female" emp Empty

Back to top Go down

New to scorps- got a "female" emp
Page 1 of 1