The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VerminVomit
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-28

My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty
PostSubject: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty4/17/2010, 10:14 pm

So about 2 months ago, I was given my scorpion as a birthday present. At first I though I had a male, but it turns out I was given a pregnant female and she's in labor right now.

The stuff in bold is all you really need to read.
How long is giving birth supposed to take?
One baby scorpion is out, but I think there are more coming... they may be stuck.
I have no idea when she started though. I came home and was about to put in her food and bam, I realize she's giving birth. Also, I was misting her cage and I accidently got some on her and she jerked. Then my mom came around and was like "she needs more moisture" and sprayed her directly 3 times and then I yelled at her so she stopped.

Should I take the cricket out?

How to I take care of the babies and keep the mom from eating them?
I called Petco and they said the babies should eat fruitflies. How do I feed them the flies?
I also was looking around in the successful breeding forums and I found one in which the breeder put the babies in seperate containers, but it was with different species.

Is there anything else that's important?
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-03-11

PostSubject: Re: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty4/17/2010, 10:19 pm

You do not remove the babys untill they have come off the mothers back and are wandering around like 'mini' scorpions.. That is the extent of my knowledge.

Edit: And yes, remove the cricket.
Back to top Go down
sinbe
Pandinus
sinbe

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty4/17/2010, 10:40 pm

and leave it alone for 1-2 weeks
Back to top Go down
VerminVomit
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty4/17/2010, 11:13 pm

Thank you so much.
Any information is helpful.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty4/18/2010, 4:53 am

Ensure that the tank is humid, pour some water (Don't spray as it is ineffective and won't last very long) onto your coco fibre substrate so that it is damp but not soaking and that should give you sufficient humidity for a couple of weeks.

After you have checked that the humidity is fine, leave her totally alone for 7-10 days. Do not attempt to feed her or interact with her or the babies in any way shape or form.

The birthing process can take anywhere between a few hours to a few days, it just depends on the conditions and how many babies there are to give birth to. My finished giving birth after 2 and a half days. She gave birth to 15.

Yes, take the cricket out if you can get to it without stressing the mother too much.

After a week or two, the babies will molt and will look like scorpions rather than white blobs, at this stage you have three options:

1) Leave them in to live with the mother for as long as you like
2) Separate from the mother and put them all together in a communal group
3) Separate from the mother and then keep them in individual containers.

Any of those options works fine (The second option has always been my favourite).
For the second option, they will help protect each other when one is molting acting as bouncers Smile However, you should tr and ensure that you put enough food in the tank for everyone in there i.e. make sure they all eat.

I left mine with the mother for approx. 17 days before separating from the mother and keeping all the babies in a larger tank as a communal group.

The behaviour I observed was amazing! I was lucky enough that they burrowed right along the side of the glass so I could always see what they were doing.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty4/29/2010, 2:10 pm

Update?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?   My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do? Empty

Back to top Go down

My emp is giving birth RIGHT NOW. What to I do?
Page 1 of 1