The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Bark Scorpions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/7/2010, 12:58 pm

Im looking to get 2 bark scorpions. Im looking mainly at the Centroids and i was wondering what are the smallest ones that can be housed together without as many problems? im aware that there is still a factor that they may cannibalize after a molt. I wish to house 2 that are not TOO big that they cannot live in a 5 gallon tank.. I hear they are rather small so please give me any suggestions. anyone who knows some that have a great color please post there scientific names please.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/8/2010, 10:59 am

i have 2 wild caught c. hentzi that i house in a 1 gallon betta tank that i redid for them especially...
if you want ill post pics so you can see it...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 12:55 am

id love that yes
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 1:54 am

I believe you can house quite a few in a 5 gallon tank. I read on another forum of an intermediate member housing 10 in a 5 gallon. He said it was easier to feed them and easier for the scorps to find food. I, on the other hand, have no experience in the matter Smile
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 2:11 am

I plan on putting 2 in my 5 gallon..I think 2 is perfect because i like mine to have more than enough space.. having them seem "packed" or like there isnt enough space.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 11:25 am

ok...so i was gonna do this last night...but i was way too tired and all i could do was look at the post you left anemia...lol

but now i got the pics of my tank...
keep in mind, i found these outside in the woods, therefore i used what i found in the woods to make their tanks (nothing has been sterilized because, well because i got lazy and i know i shouldnt have)

i took the false bottom idea as a way to keep humidity in the tank (i live in florida and its been pretty humid outside lately)
Bark Scorpions 15n8ze0

my apologies this pic is kinda difficult to see, but i have pieces of pine bark from a dead pine stump as pieces for the scorpions to crawl on, i have them set all kinds of different ways because they tend to hide on the underside...also a dasani water bottle cap with 2 rocks and some water (ive seen them drink from this like maybe twice)
Bark Scorpions 2qn1izb

i have some pieces sitting vertcal and others sitting across those pieces horizontally
(and at night on occasion when i wander away from my room an come back, the male is often wandering around) but these pics were taken in daylight so theyre both hiding
(the males under the largest piece of bark on the right, the females under the largest piece of bark to the left, actually shes right on the side of that said bark and scared me when i moved them looking for her)
Bark Scorpions 2ynlap3

or i have them (pine bark) tilted against the tank to help with finding them (scorpions) when i shine the flashlight on them to see what theyre up to...lol actually theres a small piece of bark holding that large "up front" piece up)
Bark Scorpions 358t0n4

pea rock gravel, pine bark pieces, and moss from the woods in a 1 gallon betta fish tank
the tube in the middle was for an air stone, but i thought it would look so much better as a scorpion tank and that tube would function 1,000 times better as a false bottom reservoir tube =)
Bark Scorpions 2vnpaxi

one of the favored spots for the female to hide, i have seen her here several times and ive also seen her eat once out of the 2 times ive fed her...
the male has eaten 3 times and they both eat upside down...its the craziest thing ive ever seen
Bark Scorpions Vpc7cl

now this is from my personal experience, and i dont claim to be a genius, once again, this is trial and error...
i used to have sand in there, but i came to the conclusion that it was for my benefit, so i got rid of it first chance i got...
they usually dont come off the bark and i hardly see them touch the substrate unless they go for the water bowl, which ive caught both drinking from atleast once (the male twice)
like i said, i didnt sterilize anything, i found all this, minus the substrate, in the woods...i just kept walking until i felt there wasnt gonna be a risk of pesticides (they drop that crap in my neighborhood pretty regularly) the reason i did everything without sanitizing,was because i wanted a completely natural setup...with my emperors tank everything was boiled, baked, washed, rinsed, etc,etc,etc...

i know...i know...i should have taken the same care of these, but like said i wanted this to be a true natural setup, not natural looking like my emperors....

the tank does have a light on it, which i turn on from time to time in the daytime to heat the tank when i think my room is kinda chilly...at night i leave it totally dark...
i even put up books and such between the fish tank and the scorpion tank because i have it next to my 10 gallon freshwater tank which has a light on constantly and because i have a little brother who always happens to see me playing with my emperors and he thinks the bark scorpions are just his size...so i had to keep it out of his reach and out of his reach just happens to be next to my freshwater tank lol

i was gonna write more, but suddenly i realize i just got lost in another train of thought and i cant remember what i was gonna add...oh well...itll come back to me later...

anyhow dude, i hope this helps, i have a male and female that live in this tank and i hope im right in my thinking that the females getting fatter and shes possibly gravid ( I dont even know how to tell if shes even mature)...maybe shes just gonna molt...i dont know...anyways...i hope this helps you to some extent...lol
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 11:53 am

Lol yeah thanks this helped a lot. Im using basically the exact same tank as you except mine has 6 sides instead of 4. I cant remember the geographical name for the shape but yeah lol Its a beta tank as well and has a light on the top. I got a exo terra night bulb. So its like a heat bulb, except it puts off heat. It shoots a purpleish beam which i like lol.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 12:01 pm

lol that sounds awesome...

mines not 4 sided...
its a weird 5 sided triangular shape lol

idk the name either
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 12:05 pm

Yea lol my mom got if from petco for my little brother and i got it free so no complaining lol. . Also i put about 3 long pieces of bark facing up so it looks like a make shift teepee. Like the indians lol. Perfect for hanging upside down and hiding, etc.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 1:49 pm

sweet....
lol i thought it was the craziest thing when i saw the scorpions eating the crickets upside down...

i was sitting there one night looking at it...and i wondered why the cricket was hanging butt down from the bark, and i clicked on my little 14 volt flashlight to check it out (i thought it found sap from the pine bark) and sure enough, it was missing his head and in the pinchers of the male...lol...i sat there for like 15 minutes clickin the light on an off to see when it finished...
i usually go to the pet store and ask for 6 of the biggest crickets i can get (emperors)
and 2 of the smallest they can find for me for the bark scorpions....its such a trip that they have no problem snatching up the crickets from upside down...

i wonder, do other bark dwellers do it to?
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 11:37 pm

idk ive read some other things along the website and others say that the centroids cling to thing upside down too so it might be that genus.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/9/2010, 11:45 pm

ahh...
well i only have c. hentzi and i highly doubt im lucky enough to find any other centuroides species...lol
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty4/10/2010, 1:40 am

lol just wait till the weather gets warmer and then go play in humid places and move stuff. lol
Back to top Go down
ArizonaFreak
Pandinus
ArizonaFreak

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-02

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty5/11/2010, 5:41 pm

I have some centruoid sculputuratus', they are communal species. Dry environments.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty5/11/2010, 7:24 pm

Thanks but im looking for mainly gracilis or hentzi's.
Back to top Go down
Jorpion
Pandinus
Jorpion

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty5/21/2010, 7:02 am

I have several colonies of C. sculpturatus, each made up of approx 50 sub-adults/adults. Each colony is housed in a 10-gallon tank. They have plenty of hides and branches at their disposal. Feeding time is a blast... once a week I dump in approx 100 3/8inch crickets and sit back and watch the frenzy begin.

Jeff
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty5/21/2010, 12:44 pm

Well i see you live in LA. I live in sacramento so if you have any of the Gracilis or Hentzi's and you ever roll threw here or FRESNO, tell me dude.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bark Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bark Scorpions   Bark Scorpions Empty

Back to top Go down

Bark Scorpions
Page 1 of 1