The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Help! Unable to feed scorpions!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
squids
Pandinus
squids

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty
PostSubject: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/25/2010, 11:23 pm

Hey, I'm to this forum and have a sort of urgent problem. I have two Emperor Scorpions, 1 male and 1 female, i bought the female first and 2 weeks later bought the male. The female is EXTREMELY agressive, i cannot even come close to her with the forceps as she'll lunge and grab it. The male is extremely docile, running away at every chance and not particularly bothered by me when handled. My guess on this is that the female was wild-caught while the male was probably breeded. And here's where my problem comes in, the two scoprions always share the same burrow despite having numerous hiding places, and whatever i feed them, the female immediately grabs it and devours it while the male doesn't even have the slightest reaction. I tried feeding 2 today, and the female grabbed both. the female seems ever hungry despite that I'm feeding her everyday, and the male hasn't ate anything from the time i got him since i can never get food to him, ( got him 5 days ago). They are similar in size and are not agressive to each other, any and all help are welcomed, thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/26/2010, 12:09 am

if you want the male to eat that bad and you dont have a problem handling it, try feeding it in a plastic container or something...

i have 2 females and if i get too small of crickets, i have to actually place the crickets in there claws, if the crickets are as large as i like them to be, the scorpions snatch them straight up right away when they get too close to the hides.
if they happen to be sharing a hide at the time of feeding, i wait until one scorpion is at the opposite end of the tank and just push one or hand one straight to my smaller female.

im not sure if this will work for you, but its worth a shot (if you really want it to eat)
also in most cases, the male just might not be hungry...most scorpions fast for long periods of time, so just give it a week or two and try again
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
squids
Pandinus
squids

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/26/2010, 12:15 am

thanks, it's not that i really want it to eat, i just needed an answer since it looks like it's gonna continue for a while, i tried to get the female away from the borrow when i want to feed the male, but she's so agressive that i have a hard time doing that without accidently pulling one of her claws off... and the male is way too deep inside the burrow to bring out without moving the rock itseld
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/26/2010, 1:25 pm

Don't worry if your emperor doesn't eat. They will often fast for long or short periods of time when gorged, molting, gravid, or just at random. An emperor can go a year without food so its nothing to worry about.

I would recommend that you put into the tank 2 crickets per scorp (4 in your case) every week or so. Do NOT feed everyday. In theory, this keeps them hungry and reduces the chance of them fasting as a result of over-eating.

And, don't worry, the male will get a cricket himself eventually, just keep an eye on him. Remove any cricket parts or carcases after about 24 hours to minimize the risk of mites.

Also, is there any size difference between your two scorps? If so how big?
And finally, what colour are their telsons? (the ball at the end of their tail with the sting on it)
Back to top Go down
squids
Pandinus
squids

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/26/2010, 8:43 pm

thanks for the help, do you mean 4 crickets fed all together and just let them roam around the cage or 4 crickets over the course of the week.
there's no difference between their size ( i was careful about that when picking) and I can't really tell the color right now, I'm gonna have to wait till they come out, right now their way too deep inside their burrow to see their tail and theres no easy way to get them out, I'll tell you as soon as they come out.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/26/2010, 9:32 pm

yeah all at once...
if they dont eat them inside of 24-48 hours, pull them out and try again in a few days..

binky will say 24, but i leave mine in for 2 days just because mine will eat them all in 2 days and i give mine 3 a piece
Back to top Go down
squids
Pandinus
squids

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/27/2010, 1:09 am

k thanks all
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/27/2010, 1:54 am

no prob dude
Back to top Go down
MrWin
Centruroides
MrWin

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty3/27/2010, 3:14 pm

lol, i have the same thing

Male just digs all days in the hide and female always aggressive towards everything and always eats no matter what.

I m not too worried.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Unable to feed scorpions!   Help! Unable to feed scorpions! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! Unable to feed scorpions!
Page 1 of 1