The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpion scratching itself??

Go down 
+4
Sinner
binksyboy3
Mr. Mordax
Roy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Roy
Pandinus

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 1:55 am

Hi all,

I traded one of my small male Emperors for a huge female today (the owner is an Entomology prof of mine) and I noticed that she appears to be "scratching" itself a lot, e.g. scraping its chela in between its first and second pair of legs.

I assume that it is cleaning itself? I've read many times that scorpions are meticulously clean fussy creatures.

The funny thing is that while it's scratching, its chelicerae keeps moving in a motion similar to when it's masticating its prey.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has noticed this behavior as well. I'm not worried, but the fact is that my school (Cal Poly Pomona) had an Insect Day yesterday and today and this female Emp was on display the whole two days. She was handled by hundreds of people (who were first-time handlers and many of whom freaked out and nearly dropped her) so I'm wondering if the incessant scratching is due to stress/mites. (Not that I can see any on her)

Any input would be appreciated. She's so docile and such a sweetheart!!

It kills me to hear people ask "Oh, is this scorpion POISONOUS"?. I know the average person out there probably does not know the difference between venomous and poisonous but it's still a pet peeve of mine. Oh well, just a side note.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 4:55 am

Sounds normal. If you're worried about stress from the bug day (I've had a huge het at a similar event, and she's fine years later), just let her sit in her cave for a few weeks without disturbance.

And whenever people ask me that, I respond with, "Oh, no, you can eat them!" Razz
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 7:52 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
And whenever people ask me that, I respond with, "Oh, no, you can eat them!" Razz

Haha, that's brilliant! I always hate it as well when people ask that question but what can you do eh?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 1:41 pm

To be honest, I never stopped to think about the difference until a few years ago when some friends brought up their frustration watching Snakes on a Plane. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sinner
Pandinus

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 3:01 pm

This behavior is completely normal and is called "stridulation"!

As a special form of stridulation sound production in spiders and insects is known, which is produced by rubbing two body parts moving against each other.

Many scorpion species are capable of sound production by stridulation. These tough, structural body parts are rubbed together rich, incurring high-frequency hiss. Stridulate why the scorpions, is unclear. Either serve the noise to find the partner for mating, or it could also keep this a Drohverhalten against enemies.

Depending on the species stridulate scorpions have a variety. Many species Pandinus and Heterometrus stridulate through pre-swing back, and the pedipalps.
Some species for example Stridulate Opisthophtalmus by flavescens rub against each other their chelicerae. Other species such as Rhopalurus spec. Stridulate with their crests.
Stridulate Parabuthus species, can be deleted by its barbed tip of the Feilenzähnchen on their backs, and even poison sprayed (that caution should be!).

It is worth noting that for scorpions in captivity, the willingness to stridulation generally decreases with time.

SRY FOR THIS BAD ENGLISH >>>> GOOGLE TRANSLATOR Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.skorpionexperten.de
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 3:38 pm

Stridulation is the hissing we were talking about in another thread. The behavior observed by Roy is just a scorpion cleaning itself.
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 3:59 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Sounds normal. If you're worried about stress from the bug day (I've had a huge het at a similar event, and she's fine years later), just let her sit in her cave for a few weeks without disturbance.

this. i would never have that many people hold my even nicest scorpion, but she definitely needs a vacation Razz

and its nice to see others educating folks about arachnids. Smile
Back to top Go down
Roy
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 4:10 pm

It's funny you brought up Snakes On A Plane Mike. My major advisor works primarily with lizards and snakes (so do most of my other labmates, I work with frogs and toads) and we have "Bad animal movie nights". SOTP takes the top spot out of all the stupid animal movies we have watched together.

Has anyone else ever noticed that in most , if not all snake movies SOME guy always inevitably gets his privates bitten?

Maybe I should suggest watching an arachnid themed horror movie instead of our regular reptilian one next time LOL (Eight-legged Freaks, anyone?)
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 4:16 pm

Roy wrote:

Maybe I should suggest watching an arachnid themed horror movie instead of our regular reptilian one next time LOL (Eight-legged Freaks, anyone?)

arachnophobia scares the you know what out of me
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Roy
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 4:20 pm

But you're ok handling your scorps and spiders?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 5:15 pm

You've gotta watch Ice Spiders as long as you're on the subject of bad movies. The acting is some of the worst I've seen, what passes for "science" is atrocious*, and the spiders make the same sounds as my cat when he was a kitten.

*When you clone with mitochondrial DNA, all you get is mitochondria, you idiots!!!!
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 5:35 pm

snakes on a train is much worse than plane, komodo vs cobra is terrible and has bad science, they claim komodos and cobras are amphibians lol
Back to top Go down
Roy
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 5:40 pm

Snakes on a Train? Sounds like a blatant rip-off the already bad Snakes on a Plane.....

Did anyone say, "Enough is enough, I've had it with this mother-------- snakes on this mother---------- train?"

LOL
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 6:05 pm

Roy wrote:

i dont handle spiders, at all, Ever...
the only good spider is a dead spider...
and the only good dead spider is a flat spider
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/7/2010, 6:46 pm

snakes on a train came out first lol
2 days before snakes on a plane lmao
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_on_a_Train
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty3/16/2010, 8:06 pm

the lycan mikey wrote:
Roy wrote:

i dont handle spiders, at all, Ever...
the only good spider is a dead spider...
and the only good dead spider is a flat spider

golly, i know what i hope YOU come back as in your next life Rolling Eyes

i handle some of my inverts, but i know i shouldn't...they get nothing out of it, and i just get itchy hands, in the cases of the spiders lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion scratching itself??   Scorpion scratching itself?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion scratching itself??
Page 1 of 1