The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-04

help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty
PostSubject: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/10/2010, 10:54 pm

i received this scorp from a dealer who simpily called it a "texas yellow" so i know its from either texas or or another down south area, but am not sure what its tank should be set up like,temp,or humidity. the pics arnt great but you can see the basic figure and a little design, for what you cant see he is yellow/tan with darker rings from his tail to his head and is about an inch. i was told he would only get about two inches mabye a little larger, but please help me identify him and what his habitat should be thank you

help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Casiehomeandcolorado055

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 1:03 am

Could it be a bark scorp?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 2:55 am

Sorry, I would like to help but those pictures are really blurry. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 3:36 am

I know I'm sry my Pic phone sucks could it be a jaejovis like I mean are they native to Texas areas because it looks just like it and until I can get a better pic is my emp set up suitable
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 1:49 pm

Honestly I can't tell - wait for one of the others.

If it is a desert scorp, then really it needs sand and not soil.
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 4:57 pm

Right ok tonight I will post a better picture
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 5:10 pm

I'm thinking im going to go with a mix until I know for sure
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 7:38 pm

Sinistersoljer wrote:
I'm thinking im going to go with a mix until I know for sure

Good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 8:08 pm

Ill Post new pic tonight
Back to top Go down
Sanbroly
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 8:58 pm

clearly a centruroides. could be an exilicauda as they said, but a better pic from the metasoma would help alot
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 10:38 pm

I need a better pic. I couldn't say any which way yet... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/11/2010, 10:49 pm

new pics these are still blurry but the best i have Sad

help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Casiehomeandcolorado057

help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Casiehomeandcolorado059

i hope this is a little better but i dont have a digital camera as of now
Back to top Go down
Sanbroly
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 6:05 am

mmm more confused now
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 10:58 am

I don't think that is a centruroides. It looks kind of like some of our Vaejovis species...But scorpions are hard to I.D. from pictures sometimes, and this is still a bit blurry..

How big is it's body without the metasoma (tail)? Do you know how old it is?
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 12:22 pm

His body is a little over a half inch without tail and they said he has molted twice
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 1:39 pm

Well, if that's two molts in it's whole life so far, that isn't one of the micro vaejovids. Still could be a bigger Vaejovis. Maybe a parauroctonus.

Thing is, without better picture (s), you are going to have to do some searching yourself, because only you can really see it. If you click on the link below, and scroll down to texas. Then click on the genus names. Look at the pics it has for those species from texas. Google the ones it doesn't. Remember though, some change color over time, like D. lindo....
Anyway, if that is a Texas species, it is most likely one from genus Vaejovis or Parauroctonus.
With the Texas list of those genus' in the website below, you don't have much searching to do to get a better idea, maybe you could narrow it down, then we could go from there? Don't underestimate the power of a good picture though, thousand words and all. Smile ~r

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/states.html
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 2:42 pm

I went and bought a digital camera (this scorp is getting exspencive LOL) and will get a zoomed in pic but I will check your site aswell thanks and I was thinking a bark scorpion or centriode austrian something like that I can't remember exact name that's a guess
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 3:01 pm

It doesn't look like any Texas Centruroides!

Actually, there is only one in Texas. C. vittatus, it has many color forms, but none of them look like that!

Other U.S. centruroides are: C. exilicauda, C. gracilis, C. hentzi, C. sculturatus and C. guaninenis Smile 6 of them.

Can't wait for new pics! wohoo!
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 4:16 pm

What areas are most important to focus on with him like is there an area that would make you say "oh I know what that is" ?
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 4:20 pm

Also FYI the pet guy said he could be from anywhere in the south that's just what they named it and there by no means professional I don't know much about scorps but I know more than them so if there is a scorp somewhere else south that it looks like than it could be it
Back to top Go down
Sanbroly
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 5:22 pm

yeah it looks more like a vaejovis but is still confusing
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 7:10 pm

Is coca fiber ok To use till possitive
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/12/2010, 10:10 pm

Yeah. Keep it on the dryer side. Give it a water dish. Give it a hide. You will be good for a while. Just don't mist hardly at all. The coco will absorb it and slowly release it as humidity.
Keep it dry, and you will be fine for a while. ~r
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/13/2010, 2:58 am

Alright thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty2/21/2010, 3:23 am

Any updates? I've been scorpion hunting in the dry areas of west Texas and it resembles the Vaejovis spp. found in that area . . . my best suggestion is do an image search for "vaejovis" and "hoffimanus". You may find a match.

As has been stated, Vaejovis do best when kept dry and warm, but offer a little bit of moisture from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"   help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow" Empty

Back to top Go down

help identify please sold to me as a "texas yellow"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next