The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Normal Emperor behavior?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-02-09

Normal Emperor behavior? Empty
PostSubject: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/9/2010, 9:26 pm

The stuff in brown is older.

Hi guys I am a noob, I have owned desert type scorps in the past and one emperor years ago but this one is different.
I purchased Pinchy about 4 days ago. The terrarium she was in at the pet store was full of poop mold and mites. She is a full grown female. She was in the cage with about 6 other full grown males and females and was the least aggressive of the bunch but she is super mean.

For about 2 days now she has been very aggressive, (I just try to give her space and leave her alone) She abandoned her hides yesterday and has just been sitting in her water bowl for about 26 or so hours. She looks to be in good shape, she ate 2 crickets the second day and has pooped once since then I have no lights on her terrarium it is moist but not soaking and about 80 degrees. I have a heat rock in there for extra warmth and to create a little bit of steam in the air.

Is this normal behavior?

Last edited by Sithis on 2/10/2010, 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/9/2010, 11:27 pm

yes, shes stressed from previous conditions and being moved to yours
give her time
leave her alone too
heat rocks are dangerous and bad; get rid of it
if shes eating though, she should be fine
note, should be.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 12:36 am

Thanks Ill get it out right now
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 3:01 am

Wise decision. She's probably trying to wash-off the mites. Does she still have some? If unsure, give us a pic. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 12:16 pm

I am at work right now but I cleaned off all mites. When I bought her I kept her in a smaller terrarium about 5gal. After I was sure there were no mites, poop, or fungus on her I put her into the larger terrarium 10gal.
She was staying in battle position posing with tail up and claws in front and open. You know how they look when they're gonna strike.

Well last night after I took the heat rock out, I turned up my home made mister and fogged the cage down for about an hour.I cant leave my mister on for too long because it makes steam and I dont want to cook her Now she is a bit more active and has been walking around.

The heat rock was my source of steam and warmth. Like I said I have no lamp because I know she hates light. With no heat rock or heat lamp what can I use to keep the temp good in there?

Do you think maybe she wants a companion?
Back to top Go down
Chaika
Centruroides
Chaika

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 1:43 pm

Sithis wrote:
The heat rock was my source of steam and warmth. Like I said I have no lamp because I know she hates light. With no heat rock or heat lamp what can I use to keep the temp good in there?

You could use a heatmat. Any reasonable reptile shop should stock them, otherwise, they're easy enough to get online. Just stick onto the side of the tank and that should do the job Smile
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 2:45 pm

Chaika wrote:
Sithis wrote:

You could use a heatmat. Any reasonable reptile shop should stock them, otherwise, they're easy enough to get online. Just stick onto the side of the tank and that should do the job Smile

Thanks man Ill pick one up today
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 2:47 pm

my heat mat hardly generated any heat
i use infrared and blue glow bulbs from exoterra
depending, it could be cheaper and just work better overall
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 3:00 pm

gromgroms wrote:

1) It depends whether you used it on glass or plastic
2) You may have bought a rubbish brand one.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 3:01 pm

it is glass and not cheap
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 3:03 pm

Sithis wrote:
Well last night after I took the heat rock out, I turned up my home made mister and fogged the cage down for about an hour.I cant leave my mister on for too long because it makes steam and I dont want to cook her Now she is a bit more active and has been walking around.

The heat rock was my source of steam and warmth.

My advice is don't use that mister thingy. Get a "habistat heat mat" by "eurorep" and that should give you perfect temperatures (assuming your tanks/enclosures are glass)

To raise humidity, just pour water onto the substrate about once a week.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 3:04 pm

Sithis wrote:
it is glass and not cheap

No, that post was for gromgroms. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 3:07 pm

On my way now to the reptile shop. Lunch Break!

30 minutes passes

Got a tank heater made by T-REX and picked up a small male.

Last edited by Sithis on 2/10/2010, 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 4:17 pm

zoomed, so not cheap
and it was on glass
and it didnt do much
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 6:01 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:
Sithis wrote:

The heat rock was my source of steam and warmth.

My advice is don't use that mister thingy. Get a "habistat heat mat" by "eurorep" and that should give you perfect temperatures (assuming your tanks/enclosures are glass)

To raise humidity, just pour water onto the substrate about once a week.

Just place it beneath the terrarium like I would for a snake?
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 6:39 pm

No its best that you take the pad and put it on the side of the tank better than putting it directly under neath. I had mine underneath for a while but it tends to drain all the moisture away from where it is located. Makes the soil go from rich moist to dry in a day or so. Put it on the side of the tank where your scorpion tends to chill for most of the time.

Also, i have a heat pad for my scorpions and i have a light as well. I'm sure as long as you give them somewhere to hide thats dark enough from the light, that it will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/10/2010, 7:20 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/11/2010, 3:00 am

Yep, scorpions burrow to get away from heat naturally and so putting the mat on the bottom would be a bad idea as it would go against their natural instinct.

Just place it on the side of the tank and you should be fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/11/2010, 3:02 am

gromgroms wrote:
zoomed, so not cheap
and it was on glass
and it didnt do much

Yeh but i meant rubbish quality, they are all quite expensive.

I have two kinds of heat mat and have 5 of them and they all work perfectly and on different sized tanks.
Back to top Go down
Chaika
Centruroides
Chaika

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty2/11/2010, 7:18 am

gromgroms wrote:

That can happen, especially if the room isn't that warm to begin with. I back all of my heatmats with a sheeet of polystyrene, to direct all of the heat into the tank rather than letting it escape, and find that that really bumps up the amount of heat that they can generate. Also, making sure that the ventilation holes are not directly above the heatmat also helps keep the heat in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Normal Emperor behavior?   Normal Emperor behavior? Empty

Back to top Go down

Normal Emperor behavior?
Page 1 of 1