The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Im a newb please help

Go down 
+5
Nomadinexile
anemiaffx
binksyboy3
MrWin
Sinistersoljer
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/5/2010, 11:28 pm

Be careful though because if your using coco fibers and you have a scorpion that needs moinsture in its "house" your going to find yourself consistantly having to add more water to where the pad it because it dries out the spot in about 2 days or so. I mine underneath the tank and when i sell off my other one, im going to move the pads to behind so its better.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 1:56 am

Ok, back up a bit here.

The guy calling himself a n00b: most scorps take a few days to settle in, so they'll be a bit "weird" even by scorpion standards. And common names are all but useless; for one, there's a lot of scorpions that live in Texas and are yellow. Do you have a scientific name?

Lights: To the guy who said a black light emits electromagnetic radiation . . . THAT'S HOW LIGHT IS DEFINED! (And gamma rays, and X-rays, and UV, and microwaves, and visible light, and infrared, and radio waves, and . . .) Anywho, on the topic of blacklights, excessive UV exposure is harmful to scorpions but in small doses it's a helpful way to find them in the dark and a darn cool thing to show people who haven't seen it before.

Scorpions cannot see the red portion of the visible spectrum, and purple incandescent bulbs that cost $0.99 don't emit UV despite what the label says about them being "black light."
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 5:07 am

yup, I believe those bulbs are just colored
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 10:19 am

anemiaffx wrote:
Be careful though because if your using coco fibers and you have a scorpion that needs moinsture in its "house" your going to find yourself consistantly having to add more water to where the pad it because it dries out the spot in about 2 days or so. I mine underneath the tank and when i sell off my other one, im going to move the pads to behind so its better.

As long as you just pour a decent amount of water on the substrate, you shouldn't really need to do it again for about a week or more. At least thats what i do and it works. Once i know that the water i am using is at room temperature, I pour it next to the heat mat to immediately raise the humidity and then elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 11:25 am

There's also, I have two, ExoTerra Night Glo lights that are fine for your scorps (according to an older topic i posted on AB), and it makes them glow, emits heat, and only costs 6 bucks at local chain stores.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 1:48 pm

^If it's not UV, it won't make them glow. It's just "simulated moonlight."

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/night_glo.php
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 2:06 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
^If it's not UV, it won't make them glow. It's just "simulated moonlight."

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/night_glo.php

it makes mine "glow", as in, my hadogenes is yellowish
my emp is green
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/6/2010, 8:40 pm

I have this night glo bulb as well and it makes them glow slightly. I don't know much about the bulb since I threw away the box, but I also have a black bulb from K-mart which makes them glow a little as well.
Back to top Go down
MindSpin
Pandinus
MindSpin

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/7/2010, 7:58 pm

Mine has been out of her borrow lately and it seems like she is trying to climb the glass? Half her body is on the glass and it seems like she is sleeping in an upright stance resting on the glass. Is this normal? She hasn't ate since Tuesday so I'm going to feed her tomorrow morning. Is she coming out because she is hungry?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/7/2010, 8:54 pm

She's probably just exploring around a bit, normal activity for me. If she's next to the heat source she's just warming herself. When my scorpions are hungry they will be in their burrows w/ their claws open.
Back to top Go down
MindSpin
Pandinus
MindSpin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/7/2010, 10:24 pm

yeah her claws are open. Must be hungry. I have to go buy some crickets tomorrow morning and feed her.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 1:28 am

just because her claws are open doesnt mean she is hungry... mine always have there claws open even when i feed them...
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 2:24 am

Often, when they are hungry, they will be in the "feed - me" pose.

They will be in their hide, with only their chela (claws) sticking out and they're open.

Yours is probably just exploring.
Back to top Go down
MindSpin
Pandinus
MindSpin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 3:48 am

Okay. I'm still learning. She is my first scorpion. She has been out of her hide a lot today so that must be the case. She hasn't ate since Tuesday so I will try to feed her before work. [code]
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 4:48 am

Try to keep to feeding at night only if you can
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 1:35 pm

MindSpin wrote:
Okay. I'm still learning.

anemiaffx wrote:
Try to keep to feeding at night only if you can

That will suit their natural feeding patterns, as they would normally catch prey at night in the wild.
Back to top Go down
MrWin
Centruroides
MrWin

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 3:48 pm

Sorry to somewhat hi-jack, but it's on topic.

I have a 20gal tank for my emp and i got about..mmmm maybe 4 crickets in there for the past week. It's really a pain in the back to take them out, they just hide in plants and moss.

Should I

A - take them out and put some in again in 3 days at night
B - Leave them in
C - get them to go to the hide at night
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 3:54 pm

Remove them.

Try again with ONE cricket in a few days. If uneaten after 24 hours, remove and leave for a week.

Emps will fast from time to time, its nothing to worry about. Also, when you feed, try and only give one cricket at a time - they don't need to eat as much as you're giving them.
Back to top Go down
MrWin
Centruroides
MrWin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 3:56 pm

thanks... time to try to locate and destroy them
Back to top Go down
MrWin
Centruroides
MrWin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 4:01 pm

Hmm, just saw him come out for the 1st time in 4 or 5 days. He seems to be digging REALLY deep, because he is now bringing up gravel.... in another forum you can see pictures of how deep that would be. Is him digging in gravel - all good?
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 10:30 pm

Most lights have UV in them, just in less, or way less amounts than Black lights. Conversely, black lights usuallly have visible light in them. I think even the leds have a tiny amount.
The only exception I know is lights that have UV filters in them may have very very little, as in Microwave Plasma Sulfur lights, But those aren't really on the market yet except in projectors, Seasonal Affective Disorder lighting and commercial/industrial lighting. So anyway, there's UV in most of your lights. You won't see the Glow though because the visible light "washes" it out. ~r
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 10:49 pm

^It's called an "emission spectrum," or the range of electromagnetic radiation emitted from a particular source. It's perfectly acceptable for a light to emit no UV rays. Check out this link:

http://academics.hputx.edu/chem/Sample%20Light%20Emission.html

You'll notice that neither sample light has any emission below 400 nm (blacklights are typically around 380 nm).

This is where I go: neener-neener-neener! Razz (All in good fun Wink.)

To the threadjacking n00b, there's nothing wrong with digging up gravel. My emps do it all the time.
Back to top Go down
MindSpin
Pandinus
MindSpin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/8/2010, 11:41 pm

she ate today. She wasted no time, i put a cricket in front of her and she snatched it right up LOL
Back to top Go down
MrWin
Centruroides
MrWin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/9/2010, 2:41 am

^ atta girl
Back to top Go down
MindSpin
Pandinus
MindSpin

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty2/9/2010, 3:38 am

MrWin wrote:
^ atta girl
LOL, Now she looks fat..You can always tell when she eats. HAHA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im a newb please help   Im a newb please help - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Im a newb please help
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2