The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

morph questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-31

morph questions Empty
PostSubject: morph questions   morph questions Empty1/30/2010, 11:50 pm

for example guys a.australis hector morph and another a.australis libycus morph.. they can mate Question
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

morph questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: morph questions   morph questions Empty1/31/2010, 12:32 am

They're the same species, so yes.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

morph questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: morph questions   morph questions Empty1/31/2010, 12:54 am

in general, morphs of the same species are sexually compatible. Even some subspecies to the extent but there are some reasons why some people may want to retain the purity of some genetic strains....

especially if morphs represent regionally isolated populations....

mating pairs from different morphs chances resulting in new morphs.... I know this holds true for reptiles but for inverts, the genetic attributes are not as prevalent.

I think we need the insight of someone with knowledge in genetics
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

morph questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: morph questions   morph questions Empty1/31/2010, 1:17 am

I can't predict the characteristics of any offspring -- it varies among animals what happens when you mix different morphs or breeds.

For example, some species will have a litter mixed of what looks like copies of parent A and copies of parent B -- if I remember correctly, in this case, some of the offspring will carry the genes of the parent they don't look like and possibly have offspring representing that parent later on.

In other cases, the offspring will receive a mix of characteristics from both parents A and B, and all look roughly the same.

The first case is where one form of the trait is dominant and one is recessive. Since chromosomes are (usually) in pairs and each parent contributes one of that pair, the offspring can get [dominant][dominant], [dominant][recessive], or [recessive][recessive]. If an offspring gets a [dominant], it will display that characteristic, but it must get two [recessive] to display the recessive characteristic

Although the offspring that have [dominant][recessive] will show the [dominant] form, they may have offspring of their own that display the [recessive] characteristic.

I don't exactly recall the mechanism that leads to the second situation, where the offspring look like a mix of each parent.

For a better understanding of all this, I highly recommend The Cartoon Guide to Genetics.
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

morph questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: morph questions   morph questions Empty1/31/2010, 5:00 am

I always tell people that scorpion morph are like skin color for human
A chinese can mate with indian and others skin color so yeah, its fine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

morph questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: morph questions   morph questions Empty

Back to top Go down

morph questions
Page 1 of 1