The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

androctonus bicolor and c.marga

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-31

androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty
PostSubject: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty1/30/2010, 11:32 pm

gud day to all of you soon i will have the following specie androctonus bicolor and c.marga i red some caresheets in the internet but i dont know what is the right one so im here to take some advice from experienced people here keeping the species that i mentioned
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty1/31/2010, 12:33 am

Androctonus: hot and dry, sandy substrate, rocks or bark to hide under.

C. margaritatus: warm and on the humid side, with bark for climbing and molting from.
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty1/31/2010, 7:27 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Androctonus: hot and dry, sandy substrate, rocks or bark to hide under.

C. margaritatus: warm and on the humid side, with bark for climbing and molting from.

how can i maintain a hot and dry?? and about the substrate,is it pure sand or can mix it with some clay? im worried if i can keep the androcs alive..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty1/31/2010, 2:43 pm

To keep it hot and dry, try putting a lamp over it and don't add any water -- maybe just a very light misting at one end of the tank once a week.

You can mix a little clay in with the substrate. I've seen others do this with some success. This genus doesn't burrow in my experience, but they'll dig out shallow scrapes under rocks or pieces of bark.
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty1/31/2010, 11:10 pm

ok thank you very much Smile

about the c.marga you said bark is needed.. how big is the bark or how high?

im planning to use this one but im gonna clean it first,is this ok for margas and androcs? i have 2 pcs of this
what kind of lamp should i use? should i leave the top close?
androctonus bicolor and c.marga Dscn1711
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/1/2010, 1:34 am

I hope you don't plan on using that tank for both species -- they have very different humidity requirements.

Anyway, the bark only really needs to be tall enough that the scorpion can molt hanging from it.

You should definitely have a lid, if only because Androctonus is a genus you don't want escaping on accident.
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/1/2010, 4:58 am

that tank that i posted is recommended for c.marga or androc?? can i use a plastic lid or a glass?? ofcourse i have to use another tank.. separate.

can i use a very dry soil? we have in our backyard and its very like sand now..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/2/2010, 12:03 am

Dry sandy soil is fine for the Androctonus, just bake it first if you're getting it from outside to kill any pathogens.

Use coco fiber for the Centruroides.

Plastic or glass doesn't matter unless you have a lamp on top and the plastic has a low melting point.
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/2/2010, 5:04 am

ok thanks.. just while ago i drop by in the nearest household accesories shop to canvas some lamp,there are many but i dont know which lamp will i get..
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/2/2010, 7:59 am

Ok Dude, by the looks of it, there's couple of problems with that tank for either species....

To start of with (besides the pre-clean condition), this can be too big for one A. bicolor by itself unless you wanna put a divider in between to combo house two. Remember... A. bicolor: not communal.

Even for a communal C. marg, its too big... the adults are actually really small. Think Liocheles australasiae 'sub-adult' and skinny it down to anorexic super-model proportions. So you could keep 10 C. marg in a tank half that size without too much tension lol... hardly but you get the idea.

The thing about size of enclosure in relation to the scorpion, is that you want the scorpion to instantly catch its prey the moment you throw it in. Its just such a let down during feeding time when you have to tweezer prod and chase those crix around into the direction of your hungry scorp, and its something you don't wanna do with Androctonus... they can be quite fast and they they are always more alert to your presence than they are of the crix. Furthermore you don't want any prey insects wandering around your scorpion tank for too long in case they die in some secluded corner and becomes a mite magnet.

Now for this aquarium in particular with worn silicon joints. Either of these scorpions will find them challenging obstacle courses with untamed freedom as the ultimate prize, especially C. marg.

Both scorps have roughly different requirements. I have no personal experience with C. marg but I had an A. bicolor b4 and when I got him he already had mycosis. Now as you might have heard/read, mycosis is an incurable fungal infections which eats away at the exoskeleton and typically occurs in desert scorps kept in humidity conditions that its not suited for. But because we live in the humid tropics, that presents a problem for us that none of our hobbyist friends in temperate countries usually have to deal with. Many keepers of desert species here resort to keeping their setups for these, bone dry.... i.e. not a drop... which goes against our customary instincts but is nonetheless quite crucial pertaining to the above matter. Of the three desert species I have/had, both the A. bicolor and the H. arizonensis had mycosis when I got them (they were given to me so not a supplier problem) and my Lieurus eventually contracted mycosis as a result of contaminated substrate.

So that's something you should take note of.... This is another reason why you don't want uneaten prey items dieing and rotting in your desert enclosure and hence why you don't want such a large enclosure for your A. bicolor, which many ppl I heard have kept in medium deli as adults nothing short of sufficiently.

For substrate, I would go to a pristine tropical beach and bag the white wind-blown sand on a really hot day, or bake the sand I get from a nursery in the oven which my wife would put me inside to bake with/on the sand if she saw me attempt this....

Its a different world from our standpoint. I've had friends that have accidentally drowned their painstakingly-acquired bark scorpions species just by misting them to death... and that's because they misinterpreted online caresheets which are, typically centered towards people who live in drier places far far away from where most scorpions usually live. Like why would we keep em right... we have to live among them lol scratch

But tropical forest species are usually a walk in the park for us... so feel free to take note of the temperature and humidity levels stipulated by those same caresheets which ironically means nothing to us because we're not used to reading those gauges which indicates changes that, for us at least, don't really seem to change much. Very few pet stores sell here due to lack of demand/necessity?! so are there enclosure dehumidifiers? lol (maybe be different for you in the Philipines... confidently certain and glad)

So for you, I'd keep your A. bicolor toasting under an incandescent light bulb, but just remember... don't leave it on all day or week. lol and just watch out for those Androctonus... though not substantiated, hearsay suggest the possibility that they could use their powerful tails to flick themselves up into the air so.... please make sure you have a lid with ample ventilation (extra fine mesh for your C. marg).

Bone-dry, personally I've noticed that the effectiveness of the venom when subduing prey decreases dramatically when they're kept like this... and for a fragile bark scorpions this means a much tougher fight for strength; not at all good. So mist if you must, but spray it on the glass... remember whatever you do not a single drop on the substrate ok ok just don't make a swimming pool in the sand from spraying on the glass.... lol

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to post it up on this thread... We try to keep a vigil but we're only humans with many pairs of chelicerae to feed.

Cheers and all the best dude.... A. bicolor happens to be my favorite of all the Androctonus and I was lucky to have kept one for awhile. But to take easy on the headaches, I think I'm gonna lay off the occasional arid desert species for awhile... I know... I love them too lol....

Chela wave
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/2/2010, 10:21 am

i knew that you will show up Smile

i sensed it.. thanks for the lecture.. Smile

just wait for my progress the bad news is there no a.bicolor left my dealer said..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/2/2010, 10:43 am

IIRC, Brian S. keeps his adult Androctonus communally . . .
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/4/2010, 12:56 am

how can i know if my sand substrate is contaminated?? plss answer it Smile

is there a method than can rid of it?
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/4/2010, 1:19 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Dry sandy soil is fine for the Androctonus, just bake it first if you're getting it from outside to kill any pathogens.

You could use a solar oven too if it gets super hot for a while.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/4/2010, 1:40 am

sasword_ron wrote:
how can i know if my sand substrate is contaminated?? plss answer it Smile

is there a method than can rid of it?

You can't know, you can just take preventative measures -- by the method I outlined earlier.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/5/2010, 10:08 pm

sasword_ron wrote:
i knew that you will show up Smile

i sensed it.. thanks for the lecture.. Smile

just wait for my progress the bad news is there no a.bicolor left my dealer said..

Not a lecture.... I quit my lecturing job for that reason lol.... just so you understand why is what is and how is... hope that helps

cheers
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty2/5/2010, 10:12 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
IIRC, Brian S. keeps his adult Androctonus communally . . .

aww true that.... but that is kinda risky if you don't have sufficient tank space and hiding places... I know pairs can be kept without a hitch but Ythier's picture of a female eating a male made me a bit cautious... lol

Thanks Mike, you the man! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: androctonus bicolor and c.marga   androctonus bicolor and c.marga Empty

Back to top Go down

androctonus bicolor and c.marga
Page 1 of 1