The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mold on the substrate?...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Mold on the substrate?... Empty
PostSubject: Mold on the substrate?...   Mold on the substrate?... Empty1/29/2010, 7:34 pm

Hello fellow emp lovers.
So, after doing a lot of reading on this site and asking some questions I decided to just pour water on the substrate in order to generate humidity in my emp's enclosure (which I'm sure most of you would agree with).

After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the top layers of the substrate weren't drying at all and since nothing in her enclosure had changed I figured I would stop putting water on it and just let it dry out a little bit. This morning I woke up and looked in the tank and there was a thin layer of mold growing over the substrate.

I promptly cleaned out the tank and added new substrate but this little bump in the road prompted me to ask some questions...

Is it best to just pour water on the substrate or should I be misting instead? The wetter, lower layers seem to facilitate burrowing.

If pouring water on the substrate is recommended then how do I prevent this from happening again? Do I need more air flow? (I was covering part of the screen with saran wrap)

Any help you guys can give would be great. Thanks. :HeathJoker:
Back to top Go down
Roger
Hadogenes
Roger

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Mold on the substrate?...   Mold on the substrate?... Empty1/30/2010, 12:25 am

Restricting air flow is almost always a good way to encourage mold growth.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Mold on the substrate?...   Mold on the substrate?... Empty1/30/2010, 1:39 am

And THIS is why I always advise against restricting airflow! Very Happy

Actually, a little bit of mold isn't a big deal -- you can spot-clean it pretty easily. It's when you get two-inch-tall mushrooms that you need to do an overhaul.

Also, if you still notice your top layers never drying out, it's possible you're adding too much water. Your substrate should be cool to the touch and not drip when you squeeze a handful of it. (The bottommost layers might right when you add it, but the water should wick up and distribute evenly within a few minutes.)
Back to top Go down
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Mold on the substrate?...   Mold on the substrate?... Empty1/30/2010, 5:17 am

Wow, those are some serious mushrooms bro. Thanks for the advice though. Now I feel bad that I messed up her home like I did.. ha ha. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again. :HeathJoker:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mold on the substrate?...   Mold on the substrate?... Empty

Back to top Go down

Mold on the substrate?...
Page 1 of 1