The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Advice needed on selling Slings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cowin8579
Pandinus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Advice needed on selling Slings Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/20/2010, 2:13 pm

Hello. Thanks to breeding, I was able to have a lot of great experiences with scorpions thus far. However, I'm beginning to worry that I'm going to have way too many. I have been planning on selling them, but what I was offered wasn't very high.

My jacksoni, I have 2 adults, 3 4th instar, and 23 third instar.

My Mordax is now gravid, and I can see embryos.

My Emperor is about to Pop.

zzzzzzzzz I already have 30 scorpions, and 50-60 will be a bit much.

I talked to a scorpion/tarantula dealer who I befriended, and they offered me 5$ each for the 3rd instar slings, and I would assume that they would buy the emperor slings at 2-3 dollars possibly. Mordax, I will work with them most likely.

Have you ever not been able to sell your slings? Are the above prices fair? If you weren't a dealer trying to make money, would you separate the sexes of the more common species?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/26/2010, 2:03 am

When I needed to sell mordax babies because of bills one year, all 10 I had sold within a couple days.

When I had 80 and was offering up half for sale the following fall, nothing sold.

Sometimes it's the economy, sometimes it's the luck of the draw, sometimes it's what's "in" at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Cowin8579
Pandinus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/29/2010, 9:53 am

Thank you for the help. For an update, I did a guy interesting in New York.. And gave him a great deal in my opinion, which ended up just being another dollar per 3-4 instar and 10$ for adults.

The thing is, that female just gave birth AGAIN! It has been 2 months? Another huge brood, and I haven't lost any due to molting yet in either batch. My roaches cannot keep up with the feeding demands. They don't breed fast enough! haha.

The price for B. jacksoni should be dropping to about nothing before long. From what I understand in talking with dealers, they can buy them for nothing.. or their stock breeds easily, and they are still selling for 15-35 dollars per B. jacksoni. Then again "pest species" of scorpions down south still sell for 15$ which is shocking.

I'm unloading anything that breeds this quickly, and now focusing on harder to find/more expensive scorpions with slower/more diminished fecundity.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/29/2010, 1:31 pm

The same scorp gave birth to another large brood 2 months later? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/30/2010, 2:14 am

Man, I feel left out. I bought five slings to hopefully start up a breeding project, only two made it to adulthood, and the male died two weeks after the female matured. Sad

binksyboy3 wrote:
The same scorp gave birth to another large brood 2 months later? Shocked

That's been documented in this species.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/30/2010, 7:10 am

Wow! You learn something new everyday. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty1/30/2010, 3:09 pm

I know the OP found resolution. But I wanted to add some things for those that follow or next time the OP has more broods. Smile

For a lps, the prices you mentioned are reasonable. Remember, they have access to large distributors/importers that you don't, unless you have a wholesale license.

In the year I've been selling scorpions, I have noticed something that may help you out in the long term. I have seen over time, as I post in forums, and put up pictures, care sheets, and the like, that I have a lot more interest when I have sales.

People appreciate help, pics, vids, info, et al. They come to know, like, and trust you. They know you know what you are doing. They know they will get healthy and well taken care of scorpions.

Really and truly, this will help a lot. I don't even have to put my sales lists on the boards now. I have a list I can email and most of them will be sold almost immediately.....

Another thing I wanted to add,.... I would not personally only have the rarest of the rare.
If all you have is super hot/rare species, you will have a limited customer base. If you are selling 2i's, and your cheapest species is $30 a pop, you won't have a huge audience.
Plus, I think you will find people getting 10 B. jacksoni, sometimes picking up a P. transvaalicus or two sometimes too. But I guess that's up to you, and your time allowances etc. Maybe it would be fine. But If I ever get a chance to breed a lot again, you better believe I want to have a diverse selection of venom/rarity's in my room!

Smile ~r
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty2/10/2010, 7:51 pm

Would you ship them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on selling Slings   Advice needed on selling Slings Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on selling Slings
Page 1 of 1