The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

little orange mites??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2009-11-26

little orange mites?? Empty
PostSubject: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/1/2010, 7:16 pm

i put a cricket in the tank with my empp for her to eat it but she hardly eats and just checked on her and the cricket had died but underneath the cricket there where these little orange mites, any ideas what they are?? my scorp doesnt have any on her but im worried they might be in the substrate, any suggestions?? thanks.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/2/2010, 6:46 am

Please describe them as best you can. Do they move/run about? Tear shaped? Only on the cricket after it died or did you notice them before.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/2/2010, 11:32 pm

Point number one: emps fasting is perfectly normal, so if you were about to worry, no need to. Smile

Point number two: those are probably scavenger mites, taking advantage of a dead thing being around to eat. Also nothing to worry about; if they bother you, remove the dead prey.
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/3/2010, 3:10 pm

my emp never eats lol:Pthey are soo small i cant really describe the shape they dont jump and they are not in the viv, they are only on the insect corpse and are orange in colour. they are soo small you can hardly see them moving, thanks for the help guys:D
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/4/2010, 7:57 pm

i jsut went up to check on my emp and i noticed a tiny little black/grey mite on the scorpions hide and as i went to squish it it ran with incredible speed?? i am going to clean out the tank but what do i do to the old substrate do i reuse it or just use my new bag of cocoa fibre??
thanks guy
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/4/2010, 7:58 pm

o and i forgot to mention is, what type of mite is this and is it dangerous??
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/4/2010, 10:54 pm

The tank and substrate are fine. It's a predatory mite and it eats the bad stuff.

In the words of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- DON'T PANIC. Wink
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/5/2010, 8:45 am

hahaha:P oo thats good then:) i did nearly start to panic lol thanks for the advise too:)
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty1/5/2010, 8:56 am

o and i forgot to metion that the mites are not on the scorp i have only seen one on her rock
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: little orange mites??   little orange mites?? Empty

Back to top Go down

little orange mites??
Page 1 of 1