The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Genghis2009
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!) Empty
PostSubject: Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)   Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!) Empty12/28/2009, 2:17 pm

Hi all, been looking to get into the hobby for a while now and have spent some weeks doing my background reading, research and browsing online to soak up as much info as possible (hence how I ended up here!). Basically after much deliberation I am looking to set up to (hopefully) give a good home to a Hadrurus Arizonensis - amassing the equipment and setting up in advance of actually ordering/recieving the scorp itself. I've already read the caresheet and scanned through the numerous relevant posts here but would nevertheless like to outline what I'm doing with the hope that some of the more experienced crowd here will have the patience to offer any tips/advice/corrections. I just want to try and do the responsible thing and prepare as well as I can Smile

My set up:

Home: An exo terra terrarium (30x30x30) - no artificial lighting and positioned in a shaded part of the room well away from direct sunlight.

Substrate: this part I have found quite confusing (there is alot of differing advice out there!) but following other advice posted here I have got my hands on some desert sand and excavator clay and aim to try out the 70:30 mix. I believe Hadrurus A reacts badly to moisture/humidity so obviously I will allow the substrate to dry completely before any introduction. The base of the terrarium allows for about 5-6 inches of substrate.

Heating: Unfortunately I live in Scotland - so natural heat is really not an option without huge bills! I have an exo-terra desert heatwave mat. I get the impression this is best placed on one side of the tank rather than underneath and as Hadrurus A is a burrowing species I'm figuring that this is most suitable positioning?? Also although I believe it isn't neccessary the room has a habit of being chilly over winter and very warm in summer so for extra piece of mind I have a habistat temp regulator (with sensor) - aiming for a substrate-level temp of 25-30 degrees C I believe?? Also have a temp/humidity gauge to allow monitoring. Aiming to keep humidity low (50%?).

Water: Most sources seem to advice that Hadrurus A gets most water requirement from livefood but advises offering some water regularly nevertheless - I have a small shallow water dish but also came accross a "tarantula sponge" so can I assume it would be satisfactory to wet this and offer every few days (without leaving too long and risk increasing humidity)

Decor: Doesn't really seem necessary but I have to hand a simple hide, a couple small terrarium rocks and a small fake cacti to allow the scorp some hiding spots and help the terrarium look a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I'm sure that they will soon rearrange!

Other bits: Not planning on introducing my hand so have aquired a set of various tongs/tweesers/small tubs for use with introducing crickets, cleaning, moving scorp when neccessary etc. Managed to bag a freebie Kricket Keeper for the livefood - to be kept in an airing cupboard (nice and warm but not cooking!) with very shallow water dish (and another T-sponge) and pleanty fresh veg, apparently gut loading with suppliments isn't neccessary.

Getting the scorp: Inverts don't appear to be big buisiness locally so I'm afraid the only option appears to be mail-ordering. www.southcoastinverts.net stocks Hadrurus A and ships next day courier with heatpacks and also reassurringly refuses to ship if too risky for the scorp - i.e. weather, during molts. As I have already emphasised I will not get the scorp until set up is complete and I have taken some time to make sure conditions are right and have crickets stocked and ready to throw a welcome party! The weather here is poor just now anyway (and postage during xmas/new year in the UK is like something from the third world!) so it's not worth the risk right now anyway.

Sorry about the boring details but I'm sure everyone here was noob once and would have appreciated a bit of encouragement and advice and any feedback people take time to offer would be extremely welcome. I hope to post some pics of the set-up when ready and of course hope to be able to introduce you to a happy Hadrurus A soon after!

Many Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)   Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!) Empty12/29/2009, 8:39 pm

ur setup seems fine to me, sept dont bother with a tarantula sponge cause they can harbour bacteria, should be ok for the crickets tho cause theyre expendable Wink and it doesnt matter what kind of mix u use for the substrate as long as it will hold a burrow without collapsing, just experiment.

Where abouts in scotland do u live, if u live in edinburgh i know a shop that has a H. Arizonensis female in stock although shes a bit pricey.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, about the heat mat, i'd keep it so its covering half of the back wall of the tank so that a heat gradient is made and hte scorps can choose where to sit in the gradient and keep it a centimetre under substrate level (thats just my personal preference when it comes to the heat mats placement btw) and insulate the back of it with some polystyrene sheets or bubble wrap or w/e will work, cause i know how cold it can get during the night in scotland lol right now Edinburghs under 2 inches of ice everywhere lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Genghis2009
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)   Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!) Empty12/31/2009, 10:08 am

Thanks for the feedback, I'm in Edinburgh too and typing this in the middle of yet another blizzard outside. Mad

I'd be very interested to know where this particular shop is as all my searching for somewhere local has been fruitless so far!
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)   Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!) Empty12/31/2009, 11:37 am

Its across the road from meadowbank retail park, u know where the big sainsburys is. its on the wee street that ducks down below the main road, its called "Aquacadabra" its mainly aquatics and reptiles but they do have a few scorps in there, they had a female H. Arizonensis the last time i was there but its not likely ot have shifted since cause their scorps dont sell very well.

Where abouts in Edinburgh are ye from?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)   Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Settting Up for Hadrurus Arizonensis (Noob!)
Page 1 of 1