The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?

Go down 
+4
Birdy339
The-New-Guy
Mr. Mordax
_scorpio_
8 posters
AuthorMessage
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty
PostSubject: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/5/2009, 5:28 pm

hi guys, i pretty much know what im doing but if you guys can add anything that may help that would be great!
well, what happened was, at work (small pet shop, saturday job) they have about 15 juvie beardies all in a 4footer together and they all get on great but there is always a bit of squabbling over food. well, a while ago someone brought in 2 beardies in great condition but were a fair bit larger than the others. obviously they were reluctant to take them as they might eat the others, but the person really needed to get rid of them (for whatever reason) and offered £25 for the two and a 2ft viv. so they risked it and introduced them to the others about august and since then they all got on great. unfortunately today one of the teeniest tiniest of the babies got hold of a massive locust, and one of the big beardies saw the locust flailing about but not the beardie attached to it. needless to say this didnt end well and the beardie has been left blind in one eye and most likely deaf in the ear on that side too. they didnt have the room to look after it (they were going to of course and would no matter what but they really didnt have time or space so after a discussion i have taken it home to see how it gets on and if it survives and recovers they might have it back but i will give them £20 for it and im sure they'll let me keep it) it is quite lethargic at the moment, and seems to be a bit slow to wake up and a bit quick to go back to sleep but its still well balanced and energetic enough to jump off of my head 3 foot and land on my hand the right way up!
i will post some pics of the injury in a sec but basically the back left hand side of its head is squished.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/5/2009, 7:36 pm

got some pics, you should be able to make out the damage:

top shot:
Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Canon_10

bad side:
Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Canon_11

good side:
Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Canon_12

the good side works perfectly, it was just sleeping again...

i have decided to call it Squish.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/6/2009, 2:10 pm

I've seen at least one beardy that was blinded on one side by an attack and turned out more or less OK . . . it's just that your guy's skull doesn't look quite right (or is that just me?).

Lethargy = bad, well-balanced and energetic = good.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/6/2009, 2:16 pm

no thats right, the skull or at least some of the muscle tissue has been squashed.
it is currently wandering around its tank warming up. i have force fed it 2 waxworms and after they were in its mouth it ate them happily, so there is no damage to his mouth which is good. it had a bit of water from a pipette too.
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/6/2009, 2:50 pm

I dont know much about bearded dragons but would like to say good luck and i hope squish gets better soon!
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/6/2009, 4:26 pm

he is being a bit more active now that his cage is nice and toasty, but he seems to walk for a bit, suddenly stop and go to sleep for 5 mins, then start walking again.
brain damage?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/6/2009, 8:29 pm

Yeah, if his skull was actually damaged, I'd be very concerned about brain damage, inflammation, or fluid accumulation. Are there any exotic vets in the area you could take him to?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/7/2009, 12:03 pm

not for miles. it had some disinfectant stuff put on it as soon as the injury was seen. it doesnt look any better but it seems to be a lot more active today, though obviously not as much as it used to be... also i dont think a vet could do anything but kill it because of its small size.
i will just have to see how it goes, and hope it gets better with a lot of food, water and heat. its missing a couple of scales and of course the ear and eye could become a problem with infection so i gently wash the bad side of its face with warm water twice a day, though i'm probably going to get some proper reptile antibacterial stuff soon.
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/12/2009, 10:58 pm

how is little dude since your last post? hope all is well and hes on his way to a full recovery:)
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/13/2009, 4:56 am

i had lost hope a bit this week but yeserday i threw in some tiny locusts and it ate! its also being a lot more active. i think it should be alright.
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/13/2009, 8:39 am

aa wicked!,great to hear!! how big is he now??
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/13/2009, 1:44 pm

same, it was only last week i got him. i think including tail ge must be about 15cm.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/14/2009, 3:06 am

man, hope he's alright. Poor little guy Sad
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/14/2009, 8:06 am

If you need any help feel free to pm me, been breeding these lil guys since I was 10 years old lmao.
How is his skull looking now it could prove to be a problem in the future. Make sure you never house him with another and dont provide anything that he can really climb. You dont want him falling on it.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/14/2009, 12:33 pm

yea i was worried about what might happen with him growing because it will probably heal into a funny shape or something. it doesnt look too bad and doesnt seem to irritate him too much. i have been dabbing his eyes with chamomile tea to try and hold off any infection.
im really hoping i can get him through this without needing to go to a vet, but being as tiny as he is i cant imagine them being able to do anything.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/14/2009, 4:08 pm

the vets would more than likely suggest putting him to sleep.
I cant imagine the growing being too much of a problem it may look odd but thats just aesthetic

Just be sure there is nothing he can fall from
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty12/15/2009, 12:43 pm

as long as it wont cause his brain to be squished or anything then i will carry on trying my best and not thinking about taking him to the vets.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty3/19/2010, 5:14 pm

he had been doing amazingly well and eating great until last night, something went wrong with him, i dont know whether he knocked his head slightly or developed something in his brain but he was dead this morning.
as you would expect i feel really rubbish at the moment, but i dont know how i could have prevented it...
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty3/20/2010, 9:48 am

Sorry to hear it mate.

At least you tried your best. Sad
Back to top Go down
loki13
Pandinus
loki13

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty4/15/2010, 10:31 pm

he should be ok, i have a beardie and hes about 4 years old and a little over a foot maybe 16". i watched him hatch at the store and knew he was the one i wanted. shortly after i got him (about 2 weeks) he developed an immune deficiency and i spent tons and tons of money on this guy on biopsy's and medicine but now hes fine, lazy but fine. lol

where abouts are you located? as mentioned before you may want to take him to an exotic vet. that what i had to do with mine when he was sick.

yours should be ok how long have you had him? if nothing has happened to him since he should be ok he wont be exactly 'normal' but he'll survive =). hope all goes well and good luck!
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty4/16/2010, 3:58 am

loki13 wrote:
he should be ok, i have a beardie and hes about 4 years old and a little over a foot maybe 16". i watched him hatch at the store and knew he was the one i wanted. shortly after i got him (about 2 weeks) he developed an immune deficiency and i spent tons and tons of money on this guy on biopsy's and medicine but now hes fine, lazy but fine. lol

where abouts are you located? as mentioned before you may want to take him to an exotic vet. that what i had to do with mine when he was sick.

yours should be ok how long have you had him? if nothing has happened to him since he should be ok he wont be exactly 'normal' but he'll survive =). hope all goes well and good luck!

_scorpio_ wrote:
he was dead this morning.
Back to top Go down
loki13
Pandinus
loki13

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty4/16/2010, 9:08 am

ah man im sorry man, i didnt read the whole post.

as binky said at least you did your best and thats what counts,

squish R.I.P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?   Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Damaged Bearded Dragon - Any Advice?
Page 1 of 1