The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wappy08
Pandinus
wappy08

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-03-12

how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty
PostSubject: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/19/2008, 8:29 am

guys how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in the stage of pre molt??

Last edited by Thaedion on 3/19/2008, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : this post was origionally in the 'Problem with Laoticus' thread and seems to be off topic so I moved it into its own)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/19/2008, 10:51 am

From what I know- It'll be fat and it'll look like you can see another skin underneath it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/19/2008, 10:56 am

The "other skin underneath" refers to being able to see the new tergites forming through the intersegmental membrane. Here's an example photo:
how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Pre-molt

Being able to see tergites isn't always the case, though.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/19/2008, 5:30 pm

Well a simply way to check if you can't see the new tergites is to look at the shape of an emp. A fat scorp gets very blimp like, a gravid gets more round around the back end, and a premolt usually gets longer. I have some pics at home I'll try to post so you can see what I mean.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
wappy08
Pandinus
wappy08

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/23/2008, 9:22 am

my laoticus is just plane black and her skin is dry not lyk my longimanus whose very shiny... i really dont know is its molting or what.. and she dosnt eat only drinks water.. by the way is it ok for my longimanus to eat too much?? because shes really eating more like she eats 2 somethimes 3 crickets a day...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/23/2008, 12:24 pm

Can you upload a photo to better describe what you're talking about?

I had a longimanus once who drank a LOT just before she had babies -- so, your laoticus could be gravid. It's also hard to overfeed a scorpion. When they are full they quit eating.

Here's an adult H. laoticus on my hand for a size comparison. If yours is this big then it's not in premolt. (This species is kind of small for a Het, especially compared to H. longimanus.
how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Heterometrus%20laoticus%20handling%203
Back to top Go down
wappy08
Pandinus
wappy08

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/24/2008, 8:08 am

wow that's just too big mind is just kinda smaller i cant get a betr pic bec of my phone but shes not that shiny very dry and how do i explaine this in her back is longated and luks heavy...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/24/2008, 10:54 am

"Elongated and heavy" could be premolt. The body of this guy was only about as long as the width of three of my fingers, so if yours is shorter it's possibly in premolt (or just really fat, which usually comes before premolt).

Photos please! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wappy08
Pandinus
wappy08

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/27/2008, 8:32 am

i'll still try to get some photos... i dont know i hope its in pre molt not dying... by the way my longimanus is eating a lot than her usual diet is it ok to still feed her that much??
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/27/2008, 11:16 am

Most scorpions stop eating when you feed them too much, so it's hard to overfeed.

Is that your longimanus in your avatar? I can tell that one's immature but it doesn't look like it's in premolt in that photo.
Back to top Go down
wappy08
Pandinus
wappy08

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty3/30/2008, 8:19 am

yup its my longimanus the other one im talking about is my laoticus i cant take a pic of her bec she rarely comes out of her borrow.. and i notice that my laoticus's posture is curve and dosnt move too much.... in my pic my longimanus is fat and at night she always go's out looking for food and im afraid to feed her she might get overfed..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt   how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt Empty

Back to top Go down

how can u distinguish if a scorpion is in premolt
Page 1 of 1