The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Unidentified Buthid from Borneo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Unidentified Buthid from Borneo   11/28/2009, 2:40 pm

One of my homeboys sent me a link this morning from the site of a nature photographer in Sarawak, Borneo....

http://www.wildborne...corpion&p=1&i=2

Living in Sarawak for many years, I know of no such buthid like this... in fact I never found a buthid in the wild there before. I seriously would like to know what this is, or if anyone at all can tell me what this is....

could it be a new lychas species?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified Buthid from Borneo   11/29/2009, 12:19 pm

the links not working mate
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
binksyboy3
Androctonus

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified Buthid from Borneo   11/29/2009, 2:04 pm

Yep, link is not working for me either
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified Buthid from Borneo   11/29/2009, 3:54 pm

Dude, Alex, quit posting this all over the web in hopes to find out what it is. It is an unidentified species - go to Borneo, document it and name it and get over it. You don't think the amateurs on this forum know what it is if Michiel, Luc, and I have already told you it's unknown and undocumented, do you?

You didn't just get the link it's been on AB for a few wks. I really want to be nice to you because you're a pretty decent guy but I have to call you out on this one.

It's most likely from the genus Lychas. In a few months I'll probably be able to make the arrangements to go to Borneo myself and camp out for a month studying this scorpion but for the time being, it's a scorpion, a cool looking scorpion, and very much a Buthid. If someone beats me to Borneo, good; that person saves me a grand on the round trip flight alone.

Here's the pic for those of you who realize that Alex posted a broken link:

For any taxonomic questions in regards to the aforementioned scorpion please refer them to the following people and they will say the same or point you in the direction of someone else who will say the same:

Dr. Victor Fet - fet@marshall.edu
M.Sc. Entomology Eric Ythier - info@scorpionfauna.com
Jan Ove Rein - jan.rein@ub.ntnu.no
Dr. Michael Soleglad - soleglad@znet.com

Last edited by Rasputin on 11/29/2009, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LXDNG79
Tityus

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified Buthid from Borneo   11/29/2009, 6:36 pm

Shocked Chill out Brother Ras,

I only posted it here and Venomlist just to be a tad bit thorough, and I rarely go to AB. I didn't even know it was there at all and I never posted anything there. My nick there is Longimanus. There's no need to exaggerate about me posting it all over the web like some all out shameless ad promoter jeezz... I thought at least you of all the people out there would share the same enthusiasm I have for chancing upon a scorpion that might be new to science. Rolling Eyes

So EXCUUUUUUUUSE me...

And DUDE, it's OK. You're not obligated in anyway to try and be nice to me. It's not a total shock to me and some people that being nice is not exactly you're greatest talent, but you just might be a kicking bass player. In the end it doesn't matter, I accept and love you the way you are Razz .

I will take you up on that trip to Borneo, which I was already considering the minute I saw that pic, and thanks for recommending me those awesome scorpiologist. cheers

and to everyone else on this forum, pls don't take it to heart about what Ras said calling everyone here amateurs... underneath his brash metalhead exoskeleton he's a real sweetheart! Very Happy He's just a little more serious about the hobby than the average person... Wink but Hey it helps to have people like him lead the charge. Nothing wrong with amateurs... after all even Gods started out as mere mortals....

Thanks so much for that...
Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unidentified Buthid from Borneo   

Back to top Go down

Unidentified Buthid from Borneo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1