The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Should I or not and how many?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hotttmommi
Pandinus
Hotttmommi

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Should I or not and how many? Empty
PostSubject: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/27/2009, 10:00 pm

I have been researching P. Imperators and the more i read the more i want one. I have a snake and have had Madagascar Hissers in the very recent past. I have a 10 gallon tank that i plan to set up. How important is a cover vor the tank? We are in Georgia so the humidity stays pretty high here anyways. Im just looking for anything anyone can tell me to encourage or if necessary discourage me on my descision. Any help and advicer will be greatly appreciated and welocmed. Thanks from a newbie in the scorp world awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotttbimommi
Captain Dribsong
Pandinus
Captain Dribsong

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/27/2009, 11:16 pm

Emperors can't climb out of fishtanks. However, I've heard infant emps can climb on the silicone corners. I only use a cover to keep their prey from escaping. My 60-gallon tank is mostly uncovered.

1 or 2 is fine for a 10-gallon tank. I suggest two because it's interesting to see how they interact with each other. If you aren't ready to try breeding, then try to get two males. (some females are gravid when caught or bought.) Males tend to be somewhat more docile too, from what I've seen. $15 per scorp is average where I am, and I've seen as low as $8.
Back to top Go down
http://dribsongsdomain.wordpress.com
Hotttmommi
Pandinus
Hotttmommi

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/27/2009, 11:55 pm

Cool which would you prefer to have WC or CB? I only have one place locally that i can get Emps and they are like $15@ so they are fairly average priced form what i have found out thru my research. And Is there a better time of year to get Emps? I am getting more and more excited. I think I am going to work on getting 2 as my Christmas present to myself. And if I do happen to end up with a gravid female I could just cover the tank with a screen cover to keep any of the young from escaping? Right? Sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure I do things right and safely for the scorps as well as my family. Thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
Captain Dribsong
Pandinus
Captain Dribsong

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 12:21 am

With CB, you have a better chance of knowing their ages. WC also might have parasites or illnesses. So I personally prefer CB.

I don't think it matters what time of year you buy Emps, however, I could be wrong.

As for scorplings, you could use a good cover to keep scorplings from escaping. Though you will need a larger tank (or maybe even several tanks) for the babies. Most people recommend at least 5 gallons per adult scorp, focusing mainly on floorspace.
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 11:20 am

Captain Dribsong wrote:
Emperors can't climb out of fishtanks. However, I've heard infant emps can climb on the silicone corners. I only use a cover to keep their prey from escaping. My 60-gallon tank is mostly uncovered.

1 or 2 is fine for a 10-gallon tank. I suggest two because it's interesting to see how they interact with each other. If you aren't ready to try breeding, then try to get two males. (some females are gravid when caught or bought.) Males tend to be somewhat more docile too, from what I've seen. $15 per scorp is average where I am, and I've seen as low as $8.

Can i ask how many of what you have in a 60 gallon out of intrest? thats a BIG tank, my T.blondi could sure use one of them lol
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 11:32 am

And i hear 5 gallon a emperor is a good rule to stick at, and glass tanks are good cause they cant climb the sides (but that never stops them trying lol) at night i used to leave the lid off when i had mine in my 25 gallon tank just to let the temperature drop abit.

Living over there i can imagen its alot hotter than what it is over here in england where i am, so i cant imagen humidity or temperature being a problem, i also cant imagen anyone on here trying to defer you from buying a emperor, theres not many bad points about them, you will hear people refer to them as "pet holes" meaning they will hide alot and can for long amounts of time, but don't let that put you off, remember if there hiding then its a good thing Smile And holding one is still a good experience even after a few hundred times lol.

Honestly just get one, or 2, or a couple, you wont regret it at all, and make sure you put pics up soon aswell of when you do!

And just to make you realise you want one even more, heres a pic of my male re-inacting titanic on my thumb or something lol

And wait a minute, whats that forum i can see in the background? Chin Scratch

Should I or not and how many? DSC00417
Back to top Go down
Hotttmommi
Pandinus
Hotttmommi

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 11:39 am

Thanks so much guys. I am just waiting on payday now. Hopefully I will be able to get at least one. Christmas is coming so I have to be careful with the funds. Maybe one emp this payday and one next. Do you guys think they will be ok introducing them like that or should i try to get both at the same time? And by the way New Guy that is so cool looking is that empa little on the chubby side or do they all look like that as they get bigger. Either way he is awesome looking . Thanks again guys
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 5:03 pm

Was abit on the chubby side, hes just molted lol. And i introduced my male to my female about a month after having her, if you get a 2nd one make sure to take the first out, completly re-arrange the tank, then put them in together. Should solve any territory defence problems.
Back to top Go down
Hotttmommi
Pandinus
Hotttmommi

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 5:06 pm

Cool I wouldnt have even thought of taking the first out and rearranging. But it makes total sence, then they both have to figure it out and neither has an advantage. Thanks
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 5:27 pm

There should be a care sheet for emperors under the caresheet part of the forum although ive never had a proper look myself, could check that out aswell
Back to top Go down
Captain Dribsong
Pandinus
Captain Dribsong

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty11/28/2009, 6:13 pm

The-New-Guy wrote:
Captain Dribsong wrote:

Can i ask how many of what you have in a 60 gallon out of intrest? thats a BIG tank, my T.blondi could sure use one of them lol

Right now I just have the Emp pair. Hopefully sometime in the near future they'll mate and give me dozens of babies to make the tank more lively. XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I or not and how many?   Should I or not and how many? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I or not and how many?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: The Burrow in Ghana: Emperor Zone-
Jump to: