The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty
PostSubject: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty2/6/2008, 10:18 pm

Some great B. jacksoni info can be found on this PDF -- information is taken from that document and personal experience.

Substrate: coco fiber or a mix that will hold some humidity -- does not necessarily need to support burrows

Humidity: mid-range, around 65-75%. A shallow water dish and occasional misting may help.

Temperature: warm, mid 70s to low 80s Fahrenheit (a little cooler than emperors)

Decor: vertical bark or bark-like hides and climbs (necessary for proper molting*)

Preferred hiding spot: this species may dig out a shallow scrape under a piece of bark, but they also seem to like hiding in small crevices (some of mine frequently hide in the very bottom of an egg carton cup)

Communal: as adults, yes; cannibalism is more common among immature specimens

Temperment: known to play dead, but can be very fast and skittish and as such are not recommended for handling. Will aggressively sting prey

Venom: moderate, but not "medically significant" -- sting reports I've read suggest it hurts a lot for a day or two

Babycurus jacksoni is great as a "begginner advanced" species -- they are relatively easy to care for, have beautiful coloration, are communal, and only require a little more expertise than beginner species.

An immature specimen:
Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Favorite%202

*NOTE: unlike other bark scorpions B. jacksoni doesn't neccesarily need a vertical molting spot but some do molt vertically
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty12/31/2008, 6:13 am

Thank you for the great care sheet. I am really leaning toward getting some of these. Will it matter if I add to the community slowly over time? Will introduce gradually and watch for aggression of course bounce
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty12/31/2008, 1:30 pm

Can't say from experience, but I have a feeling a single outsider would be seen as an intruder.

Best to take everyone out and rearrange everything so established territories are gone, just like when introducing emps.
Back to top Go down
jasent
Pandinus
jasent

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 4:46 am

what about growth rates and life span? just an idea
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 11:13 am

That depends entirely on the conditions you keep them in (specifically temperature). My female lasted about a year and a half, my male a year -- but two adults is a small sample size.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 6:58 pm

I received my b. jacksoni on 2-2-09 and they were all about 2 to 4 weeks into 3i. From 2-14 to 3-1 they all had molted to 4i. I'm keeping mine at 85F to 90F 9which is about 5 degrees warmer than normal) with visible condensation on the container walls...I keep half the coco fiber substrate moist. The one that molted on 2-14 is looking quite chubby and could molt any day a month later...see it in the next post along with the other one that molted 2-3 weeks ago. Mine were all born in November and December 2008. Hope that helps. I'd be happy to share any additional info if it helps you out. This is an amazing species and one of the best looking scorpions in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
jasent
Pandinus
jasent

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 7:10 pm

thanks also becoming one of my fav.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 7:30 pm

Chubby Chocolate
Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Chocja10

4i Red
Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Redjax12
Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Redjax13
Back to top Go down
jasent
Pandinus
jasent

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 7:41 pm

nice tomorrow i'll post some of mine in Hi-Def
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty3/17/2009, 8:56 pm

I'm all for care-related Q&A, but if this turns into discussion, please keep it to the general forum.
Back to top Go down
DestinyWasBound
Pandinus
DestinyWasBound

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty12/21/2009, 10:43 pm

anyone have any breeding info on these guys?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~   Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~ Empty

Back to top Go down

Babycurus jacksoni (Rusty Thick-Tail)~~HOT~~
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!-
Jump to: