The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Empty
PostSubject: Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus   Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Empty10/30/2009, 3:55 pm

Since my last aquatic snake thread was getting a bit full Razz I thought I start a new one with this latest update... As promised ages ago... I would post my Javan Wart Snake once it stabilized... Phew...

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Javanicus
Upon receiving it, it was riddled with white spot sores which often occurs when the animal is significantly stressed.

Close up of the head... showing some of the old white sores which are effectively gone in previous pic
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Javanicusface3

I treated the water with the prescribed medication which seemed to be effective, but after doing some research, I realized I had to augment this by rethinking the setup.... After many trials this ultimately worked.

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus JavanicusOct09

One aspect of this is to ensure that the snake is provided with an effective hide that gives it a sufficient sense of security.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Peephole2
They are very shy retiring animals and when not provided with the above-mentioned, will often appear somewhat depressed and forlorn.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus IMG_5958

However I didn't really like the idea of using those PVC pipes hot-glued under a hide box to emulate the tangle roots of its natural habitat, so I balanced this with doing whatever I could to improve the water quality. This was invariably tricky considering the snake's complicating diet.

Close of the head while it was flicking its evidently very long tongue (not apparent in photo)
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Javanicusflckr

After experimenting with various food options, I realized that WC adults of this size will only take, walking catfish or other fish species devoid of scales. The result is their inclination to annoying foul the water when they defecate... and clog the filter.... pew...

so the final measure I resorted to was to have an over hanging outbox filter which removes the debris from the standing body of water, and add a pair of climbing perch which voraciously gobbles up any matter which the snake leaves behind.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Javanicus2
They also occasionally pick off parasites or flakes of dead skin off the snake in a manner which doesn't seem to bother the snake and leaves it with a relatively decent skin condition.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Javanicusdetails3
The keeled scales are rough in texture and is used by the snake to get an effective grip on its slippery prey which it wraps around and rapidly engulfs like putting on a sock. Its prey sometimes still periodically struggles in its gut... gasp...
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Juvanicusunderbelly
The skin is also loosely attached which gives it the appearence of a elongated paperbag.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Javanicusdetails2
This gives the snake a fluid degree of maneuverability in the water but its absence of ventral scales renders it virtually helpless on land. Thus I'm not too concerned about fitting a lid as the snake has been observed to have no desire to leave the water... He will raise his head to the point that only his nostrils penetrate the surface to breathe. He occasionally scales the aquarium corner and pops his head right up to the top but sensing that there is no other body of water around, readily submerges where i prefer him to be... albeit daring on my part untill I can figure a way of constructing a secure lid that accommodates the essential outbox filter and the light....

Another aspect that helps maintain water quality are the floating water plants which makes the lighting system rather important. The lights are turned on and off adhering to a standard 12 hour cycle (unautomated).

After all these elements came together, the snake's previously depressed and boring disposition altered dramatically. Before he would curl up in the back corner, but has since then been observed confidently creeping around the bottom of his tank even when the lights are on; a behavior this species usually only indulges in almost total darkness.

After I rearranged my inverts to be outside the third 'bedroom' of my apartment, it is now officially the snake room.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus SnakeRoomOct09

Yes that cobra is getting big... I downsized (traded) my immense retic for two smaller ones and put the albino (which is now collossal) in the care of one of the other share-owners who is also taking care of Nabau (my giant retic). Both snakes in his care are now eating whole chickens (shrug).

This is the latest installment of my Enhydris communal tank; a secondary water cave to the right.
Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus SWOct09
Still looking for appropriate log pieces to augment this section.

Lastly some latest shots from my crown jewel... Slithering waters log Oct 2009

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Plumbeabasks

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Waterfallplumbea2

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Waterfallplumbea

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Puffsank

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus BlueDragon
Back to top Go down
AshMashMash
Babycurus
AshMashMash

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus   Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Empty10/30/2009, 5:01 pm

Absolutely amazing! I know nothing of these at all! Wow. Stunning.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus   Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Empty10/30/2009, 11:33 pm

awesome man. that last setup looked pretty sick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus   Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus Empty

Back to top Go down

Slithering Waters pt.2 - Acrochordus javanicus
Page 1 of 1