The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Emp feeding question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mauge135
Pandinus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Emp feeding question Empty
PostSubject: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty10/26/2009, 12:14 pm

Just one simple question. Will my emp eat crickets that are already dead? I keep buying bugtubs that I get at my local pet store and they have like... 50 crickets in it (smallest one you can get). But before I get them fed to my emp Xena, there's about 30 crickets that are already dead in the container.

I feel as though im wasting money on those bug tubs, but that's the only way I can get crickets around here. So will she eat them even though they're already dead? And will she still get the same nutrients and whatnot if they are already dead, if not.. can someone suggest an alternate diet for my emp?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty10/26/2009, 12:30 pm

If they're fresh, they should be ok, but you may have to tweezer-feed -- scorps don't typically scavenge.

If they stink, don't feed them to your scorp.

One solution is to breed roaches, as they're easier to keep and breed than crickets, and make good feeders. The only downside is you'll have more than you know what to do with (unless you expand your collection Wink).
Back to top Go down
kfc rocks
Pandinus

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/3/2009, 3:59 am

instead of buying them from a shop you can just go outside and find lots of insects all of which your scorpion should eat.you can get away with feeding anything to an emporor scorpion as long as its small enough and of course an insect.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/3/2009, 12:19 pm

^Bad idea. Parasites, anthropogenic chemicals, other nasties -- stuff that could be in wild-caught prey that you DON'T want your scorpion to eat.

Not to mention, winter's a-comin'. Not many bugs out now (in northern temperate climates, anyway).
Back to top Go down
kfc rocks
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/3/2009, 3:12 pm

wow i didnt no it was such a bad idea well im not doin it again well altho in the wild he would just eat like that wouldnt he???????
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/4/2009, 12:53 am

In the "wild," there aren't generally gardeners spraying agricultural chemicals. However, there are still parasites and predators, but I doubt you'd want to introduce a hungry meerkat or some roundworms in your tank.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/4/2009, 3:19 am

^ Well said. Razz
Back to top Go down
kfc rocks
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/4/2009, 12:42 pm

oh i see allthough im shore my garden is free of any chemicals altho i understand they could pick it up from another garden so ur right and im never doin it again

thanks for tellin me :sex: lollolololol i love that emotion thingy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/5/2009, 3:06 am

Even if there's no chemicals (gods I hate that word, WATER is a chemical!!), there's still the possibility of parasites.
Back to top Go down
Captain Dribsong
Pandinus
Captain Dribsong

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/17/2009, 10:45 pm

Recently I've been experimenting with earthworms. All of my emps seem to enjoy them. A lot of people also buy and/or breed superworms.
Back to top Go down
http://dribsongsdomain.wordpress.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty11/18/2009, 3:25 am

How do you expect to procure earthworms without pesticides or fertilizers in their systems? Bait shops?

They sound like they'd be messy to clean up after.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emp feeding question   Emp feeding question Empty

Back to top Go down

Emp feeding question
Page 1 of 1