The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Newly Arrived

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Newly Arrived   10/26/2009, 5:55 am

In early October, I received a bucket-load of scorpions; most of which consisted of species new to my collection and exceedingly rare in terms of availability in Malaysia. Chances are, you would never see them in the local pet-stores here. A handful were purchased from a tarantula breeder who lives up north; the others were generously surrendered to me from a close buddy overseas who wanted to let go of some he got bored of... when it rains it certainly pours. Here’s the mother load inventory...

Buthidae
0.1.0 Babycurus gigas

Sold as a chocolate morph jackosoni (don't ask), It’s absolutely surreal for me to actually behold this species in the flesh. Even more surreal to me is its size which is needless to say ‘gigantic’ for a bark scorpion... A surviving female of a pair; I hope she’s gravid (fingers crossed)

0.0.3 Lychas mucronatus – the Chinese Swimming Scorpion

Technically a local species though its distribution is apparently restricted to northern border of Malaysia. I’ve been wanting to find them for as long as I can remember. A species as elusive here as they are gorgeous.

0.2.0 Lychas infuscatus

My buddy bought these thinking they were juvenile mucronatus, until one of them popped on him but unfortunately, none survived. The markings on this species are unbelievable. I still can’t get over how small they really are.

0.0.2 Mesobuthus martensii – the Chinese Armor-tailed

Allegedly sold in copious quantities as a delicacy on the bustling streets of China alongside L. mucronatus, this is quite likely the species used by the Chinese navy in ancient times; hurling scorp-filled earns on to enemy ships to cause panic and disarray.

0.0.1 Rhopalurus junceus

This one is undoubtedly one of the most coveted jewels among most avid scorpion keepers. Truly a prominent thing of beauty... and it molted as I was posting this.

Caraboctonide
0.1.0 Hadrurus arizonensis - the Giant Desert Hairy

The icon of the Wild Wild West - Unfortunately mycosis is almost unavoidable in desert species here in my region but this one looks promisingly gravid. ~sigh~

Scorpionidae
1.0.0 Opistophthalmus boehmi – African Burrowing Scorpion

Here’s an interesting lone ranger that occurred so randomly. I almost never see him that I often have to lift the rock to check if he’s still there. One vividly coloured scorpionid.

In addition to this I got a Hadogenes pauciden pair which I shall feature in another post...

This motherload got me rehousing for a week... Let me OUT!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Newly Arrived   10/26/2009, 6:24 am

Remember, remember
When u got too much scorpion in ur hand, 3 Alphabet
RAC Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Mordax
Administrator

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Newly Arrived   10/26/2009, 11:31 am

Awesome new additions, Alex. Very Happy Those Lychas make my predominantly North American collection look downright boring. Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newly Arrived   

Back to top Go down

Newly Arrived
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1