The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Different feeding tactics?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Different feeding tactics? Empty
PostSubject: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/8/2009, 2:59 pm

Really what im wondering is should i treat feeding my 2 emps different because i keep them in the same tank? This only occured to me last night as i saw the 2 fight over locusts.

They both get a locust each every 6 days, usually they are both fine with it, but yesterday i put one in and the male grabbed it straight up, put another in and shunted it towards the female and she wasnt intrested much.

i left it a while came back and found the locust on otherside of tank, put it back next to the female, she took intrest and grabbed it and started tucking in, at this point the male came over and grabbed it off her and walked off with both, im not sure if it was appropriate for me to take any action at that point but i did and grabbed the 2nd locust he had back off him and gave it back to her in which she started tucking in again, and yet again he went over to her and tried to take it off her, but this time she wasnt letting go until the male struck a blow at her with his claw then she left it, at which time i took action AGAIN and gave it back to her and he sort of left it.

They have never had any sort of confrontation over food at all, i always make sure i have enough for both, so i appologise in advance if people think i should of left them both to it to settle it, just was my first reaction like "you cant have both you greedy git" lol.

So what im wondering is shall i be using a different way to feed them to make sure they both get enough instead of just whacking 2 in? ie taking them out to feed or something (i dont see this as nessescary but just making an example).

Or should i just treat it as "well if she was that hungry she would of put up more of a fight".

How do you guys make sure your communal setups have enough food between them? Should i be worried about the male stealing her food? He is slightly bigger than her and seems to be growing faster than she is. Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/8/2009, 5:57 pm

in my opinion, my scorpions eat when they are hungry, and dont eat when they arent hungry. so i just feed them all they want then wait a week. for example, sometimes my P.Cavimanus takes one cricket and wont eat anymore, some times he takes 2,3,4 at once. I'm pretty sure they can't over eat themselves to death, and if you think they are getting too fat just put them on more of a diet.
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/8/2009, 6:24 pm

But then again im thinking it wasnt the fact that the female wasnt hungry just the males the bigger and more dominant so thinks he can boss her around?
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/8/2009, 6:26 pm

I don't think it was necessarily bossing around, think it was more the male was really hungry and he saw another piece of food. Maybe hes just a fatty Smile
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/8/2009, 6:28 pm

Dont think your wrong there, he is turning abit chunky, but i cant tell yet if thats just where hes growing or is getting fat lol, hes a really good eater never turns down anything, the female usually does turn food down at first but aint too worried about that, she used to be really fiesty, males sorted her out though lol
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/9/2009, 2:24 am

Maybe he was coming off of a fast.

Next time, if he tries to steal it, just put in another one for the female. If he eats that one, then he must really be hungry. tongue
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty10/9/2009, 10:21 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Maybe he was coming off of a fast.

Next time, if he tries to steal it, just put in another one for the female. If he eats that one, then he must really be hungry. tongue

Not sure about that, hes never refused food ever, think hes just greedy, and yeah well he is starting to get bigger so maybe lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different feeding tactics?   Different feeding tactics? Empty

Back to top Go down

Different feeding tactics?
Page 1 of 1