The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

I found a mother scorpion today!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
daffyshuler
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-30

I found a mother scorpion today! Empty
PostSubject: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 12:58 am

She's pregnant and can't be too far along in it, as it's hard to see the white between her underside and back. She's been going crazy in my 5 gallon tank I got for FREE!! yea, I feel great about it. I made it a simple home, and so now I have 2 V. Carolinianus. One I know is female[well duh, she's pregnant] and the other is still a mystery. I named her Maia: The Roman Goddess of Fertility since I found her under a rock pregnant, and the other is Barney Fife. I can't find the other one, I just know it's in there. But now I'm kinda worried, how is V. Carolinianus with babies? I don't want her to eat them, but I she is feeding on a cricket right now, so I'm glad to see at least one of them eating.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 1:14 am

How do you know she's gravid?

Anywho, after they pop, scorpions are generally fine if you ignore them for a week.
Back to top Go down
daffyshuler
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 1:40 am

I'm just guessing she's pregnant, I can see some white between her back and belly, near the legs, you know? I'd take a pic but she's feeding.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 11:50 am

White what? Blobs?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
daffyshuler
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 1:40 pm

No, it's like under her exoskeleton, and it's separating the back from the belly, there is no separation on her back yet between the things.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 2:08 pm

is she an adult? Could just be a well fed scorpion.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 3:49 pm

need a pic really Very Happy
Back to top Go down
daffyshuler
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 11:05 pm

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/picture7nu.jpg/

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/picture8y.jpg/

I'm pretty sure she's pregnant, she was found outside in the woods.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty10/7/2009, 11:25 pm

The fact that she's a wild-caught adult alone would suggest that she's gravid -- however, your description and the pictures wouldn't suggest it by themselves. The membrane you describe is normally visible in any scorpion that isn't starving. You can only see the embryos in late-term females, and that's when you see individual blobs through the membrane.

The body structure appears female at a glance, but have you gotten a look at "her" pectines to be sure?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I found a mother scorpion today!   I found a mother scorpion today! Empty

Back to top Go down

I found a mother scorpion today!
Page 1 of 1