The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Vaejovis carolinianus feeding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gnat
Centruroides
Gnat

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Vaejovis carolinianus feeding Empty
PostSubject: Vaejovis carolinianus feeding   Vaejovis carolinianus feeding Empty9/26/2009, 6:09 am

im kinda new to scorps, ive an emperor that feeds well on adult crickets, my question is about a Vaejovis Carolinianus that i recently aquired. first, ive tried to breed crickets with no luck ( please dont tell me how easy they are to breed) the guy i have is about .75 inch in size, also i do not have an easy source for pinheads. ive heard that young scorps can be fed crickets larger than themselves if they are torn apart first, will this method of feeding fresh kill apply to an adult scorp? it is a WC specimen and i am interested in keeping it as well as getting more of them as they are fairly easy to catch in the area i live in. my real question is this: how do i feed a small scorp if the food is bigger than he is?
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus feeding   Vaejovis carolinianus feeding Empty9/26/2009, 1:37 pm

Headcrush the cricket and then just put it in the enclosure. It may sound harsh but it's just what happens. By doing this, the scorp can feed when it wants to and there is no risk of the cricket harming the scorp by using it's mandivals.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus feeding   Vaejovis carolinianus feeding Empty9/26/2009, 1:38 pm

Just squish the head of the cricket with a pair of tweezers / forceps so it can't attack the scorp or jump too well. Usually they'll twitch enough to elicit a feeding response. If your scorp still doesn't feed, it could be

A) perceiving the prey as too large
B) fasting
C) not yet settled in

I won't tell you crickets are easy to breed ('cause they're not), but roaches are. If you expand your collection enough, I'd suggest starting up a roach colony. You'll get a wide variety of sizes from nymph to adult that should be appropriate for most any scorp you'll keep.

The biggest disadvantage of roaches is that most either burrow or play dead, so you may have to tong-feed your scorpions (or continue to headcrush as you would a cricket).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus feeding   Vaejovis carolinianus feeding Empty

Back to top Go down

Vaejovis carolinianus feeding
Page 1 of 1