The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Orinthoctonus aureotibialis

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty
PostSubject: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty3/12/2008, 1:31 pm

O aureotibialis, also called the Tailand Golden Fringe, is my most unique tarantula. These guys appear rather infrequently on dealers' lists and are in my experience not easy to find. I wish I had better pictures of this one but he's turned into more of a pethole than my emps and Haplopelma lividum combined. It's all black with some slight striping on the abdomen. The coolest part though is he has these bright orange hairs on his legs. Just thought I'd share and I wanted to know if anyone else has experience with this genus.

Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Photo28

Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Photo29
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty3/12/2008, 8:47 pm

Hard to tell from the pics, but it sounds like it looks pretty cool! Lori and I lucked out when we found a pair of "Ornithoctonus sp." at a show last month for $12 each, but people on AB are giving her crap for breeding them (Mad) because we're not sure which species they are and a couple people think they're Haplopelma.

Our experience: the male is a SPAZ* and the female was really receptive to his mating. None seem to be too pet-holeish right now.

*When we first tried putting him into his own tank, he flipped out and was running around while flailing all his legs, but not really moving very far. When we put him back in his tank after the mating, he did the same "flail without going anywhere." Kind of startling to someone used to scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

PostSubject: Re: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty3/12/2008, 9:34 pm

I'm not sure of the scientific differences between the two but comparing my H lividum to my O aureatibialis the Hap doesn't have any extended setae from the back legs and has a less shiny appearance to the carapace. Other than that they are pretty similar. Same sub-family though I forget the name. Let me know if you get a sac, I love this guy even though I never see him and would be in the market for slings. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

PostSubject: Re: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty4/14/2008, 2:56 pm

Terrible news! The goldenfringe has died. No We're all in mourning.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty4/14/2008, 3:20 pm

That really sucks, man. Sad
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

Number of posts : 662
Location : Sw. Georgia, Home of the Hentzi King and the C. hentzi army

PostSubject: Re: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty4/14/2008, 4:39 pm

sorry to hear of ya loss bro
since they are not easy to see on the trade list
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orinthoctonus aureotibialis   Orinthoctonus aureotibialis Empty

Back to top Go down

Orinthoctonus aureotibialis
Page 1 of 1