The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)

Go down 
+3
anemiaffx
Jackoravin
Mr. Mordax
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty2/6/2008, 10:14 pm

Pandinus imperator, the emperor scorpion, and a number of Heterometrus species are tropical forest scorpions that require very similar care. This care sheet should also be useful because Heterometrus are often mistakenly IDed as emperors. This should cover anything that's big, black, and has large pinchers.

Substrate: damp coco fiber or peat, deep enough for burrows (four to six inches is recommend)

Humidity: high, between 80 and 90 percent (instructions for setting up a false-bottom to maintain humidity can be found here). Provide a water dish deep enough for the scorpion to submerge itself in with climbable sides.

Temperature: 80s to 90s Fahrenheit -- can be kept cooler, but the scorpion may display more sluggish behavior

Decor: whatever is aesthetically pleasing to the keeper (see below)

Preferred hiding spot: burrows. These scorpions are generally known as "pet holes," meaning they prefer to stay in their burrows 90% of the time; as such, no decoration is necessary.

Communal: yes. Cannibalism, although rare, is more common when keepers attempt inter-species communites. Heterometrus seem to be more prone to aggression than P. imperator.

Temperament: these scorpions are known for being some of the more docile available in the pet trade (another reason they're so popular as a first scorpion). As stated above, Heterometrus are generally more likely to show aggression.

Venom: mild. Sting reports I've read suggest Heterometrus stings to be a little more painful than emps. Most that I've read say that it hurts like hell for about 30 minutes and then you're fine.

If an emperor is your first scorpion, I'll give a few extra "first-time" pointers here if you haven't read the emperor FAQ yet (I wish I had these when I got my first emps).

-- Don't worry if it stops eating. Scorps have slow metabolisms and sometimes go months without eating for no real reason. Males seem more prone to this than females. (Mine both ate right away when I got them, but this is not always the case.)
-- A new scorp likes to explore its habitat. My emperors wandered around lots at night when I first got them (they also took about a week to start a burrow). So, attempts to climb the glass are nothing to worry about. Smile
-- "A scorp that stays in its burrow is a happy scorp." 'Nuff said. If you like seeing your scorpions, make a "starter burrow" against the side of the tank. They will most likely hang out there and you can see them while they feel secure and at home.

Example of an adult male:
Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) IMG_5387

©️ 2008 Michael Reitmajer, All Rights Reserved
Back to top Go down
Jackoravin
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty3/13/2010, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the advice , its been great and very helpful. This is my first post by the way and i hope it wont be my last.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty3/13/2010, 3:48 pm

Awesome guide. Covers all basics. ***** - 5 Stars
Back to top Go down
ScorpionSam
Hadogenes
ScorpionSam

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty5/13/2011, 1:17 pm

Does this guide apply for H.Swammerdami as well?
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty5/13/2011, 1:40 pm

I would say yes. But AFAIK, you could keep the humidity a little lower.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
ScorpionSam
Hadogenes
ScorpionSam

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty5/13/2011, 2:43 pm

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpeace
Babycurus
Scorpeace

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty7/19/2011, 9:13 pm

Jackoravin wrote:
Thanks for the advice , its been great and very helpful. This is my first post by the way and i hope it wont be my last.

Oh, but it was lol!
Back to top Go down
centuro
Pandinus
centuro

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty12/18/2015, 1:00 am

Razz
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/robinbud
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)   Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions) Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!-
Jump to: