The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

heterometrus ID.. need help

Go down 
+3
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Mr. Mordax
scorponok
7 posters
AuthorMessage
scorponok
Pandinus
scorponok

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-08-24

heterometrus ID.. need help Empty
PostSubject: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty8/24/2009, 8:32 am

Ok this was sold as H. Spinifer. I looked in to some heterometrus pdf files but I had a hard time comparing . Took a couple of pics and I hope you guys could help me out. This is surely a female

heterometrus ID.. need help Het_fem01

heterometrus ID.. need help Het_fem02

TIA
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty8/24/2009, 8:59 am

Instinct tells me it's H. longimanus . . . not 100% positive on that, it's just a gut feeling.
Back to top Go down
scorponok
Pandinus
scorponok

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty8/24/2009, 9:10 am

Mr. Mordax can you tell me how you were able to identify it?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty8/24/2009, 9:15 am

I have a large, adult female H. longimanus, and the overall body structure of yours strikes me as being similar enough to think it's the same species. If I remember right, mine has the same pattern of granulation on the carapace, and I know mine has the same elongated telson shape.

Edit: here's a link to my pics: http://mrmordax.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=heterometruslongimanus

Edit edit: I may be wrong; yours appears to have some granulation on the chela whereas mine is quite smooth. My second guess would be H. cyanus -- I've heard they're similar in appearance and yours is exhibiting a blue tinge in the pictures.
Back to top Go down
scorponok
Pandinus
scorponok

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty8/24/2009, 10:56 am

I really cant confirm on the granulation on the carapace and chela, honestly that is where i am confused. H. longimanus and h. spinifer has almost the same spread of granulation.

Your h. longimanus seems to have a more robust chela than mine. I dont know maybe just the angles.

But yes it does have a greenish blue appearance, especially when taken out on a sunny day.

Do you need more pics? I'll provide more if needed.

On another note. my hets seems to be comfortable in a communal setup. I keep 4 of them. They have been together since 2nd instars til they molted to adults.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty8/26/2009, 8:08 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that granulation on males is a lot more obvious, its for this reason i kept doubting my male H. Petersii was actually an H. Petersii cause his chela and carapace had a bit more prominent granulation than the female but it seems theyre a match cause they attempted mating a week before the female gave birth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorponok
Pandinus
scorponok

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/2/2009, 6:28 am

The-Scorp-Whisperer wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that granulation on males is a lot more obvious, its for this reason i kept doubting my male H. Petersii was actually an H. Petersii cause his chela and carapace had a bit more prominent granulation than the female but it seems theyre a match cause they attempted mating a week before the female gave birth.

Unfortunately my male died several months ago. I read some hybrid stories Im not exactly sure but heterometrus does mate regardless of sp..?
Back to top Go down
scorponok
Pandinus
scorponok

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/2/2009, 6:41 am

Sorry for the delayed update.

Took the scorpion out and shot some pics. Still the same scorpion (female).

heterometrus ID.. need help HSout_female01

heterometrus ID.. need help HSout_female03

heterometrus ID.. need help HSout_female02

*zoom

heterometrus ID.. need help HSout_female02_zoom

* i just changed the angle

heterometrus ID.. need help HSout_female02_zoom1

Heterometrus Spinifer granulation
heterometrus ID.. need help Hspinifer_gran

Heterometrus Longimanus granulation
heterometrus ID.. need help Hlongi_gran

OMG. Did i just solve my own problem? Is it really a H. spinifer?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/2/2009, 11:01 am

Yeah, now it looks like spinifer to me. It's a lot smaller than my H. longimanus.
Back to top Go down
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/2/2009, 8:06 pm

Me thinks she's a definite spinifer. jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/rafiqos
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/3/2009, 3:47 pm

Yep, definately a spinifer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorponok
Pandinus
scorponok

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/4/2009, 12:09 am

THanks for the input guys. I feel relieved already. I need to find a male spinifer now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty9/4/2009, 1:07 pm

After having a good look. I would also have to say het spinifer.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Solrac1993
Pandinus
Solrac1993

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty5/9/2010, 5:45 pm

I first thought it was a spinifer, but when I observed the granulations, I saw that longimanus had granulations in front and behind its eyes, just like the one your picture. Also, spinifer has smoother chelae than longimanus. Spinifer has a dark-coloured telson, longimanus has a red one. And longimanus has a black body colour in all lighting conditions. Considering that only males of longimanus have long chelae, this female might be a longimanus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: heterometrus ID.. need help   heterometrus ID.. need help Empty

Back to top Go down

heterometrus ID.. need help
Page 1 of 1