The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty
PostSubject: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 11:04 am

Ive just found one, alive and with a broken arm! it was fine last night. Found it pressed to the glass with the right "arm" totally bent back"...opened tank to remove the "body" as I thought it must be dead and it ran off dragging its arm behind it!!!

So...any suggestions on what to do? I dont think I could pull the arm off! I didnt see any "bleeding"...so what to do? its now at a total disadvantage with the other in the tank...maybe it was a fight? I dont know. It was fine last night and then now, this afternoon it was pressed between the water bowl and glass all broken up (there is a gap between the two...been like it since I got them)
I even looked in this morning and it wasnt there, in that spot.

*hmm* what to do...eh
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 11:55 am

Well, for one, I'd keep it in a separate tank.

As for the arm, I'm not really sure . . . if it's not leaking, maybe leave it be? scratch

Does it look like there's any way to amputate the damaged part without injuring the little guy any more?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 11:58 am

Its basically hanging on...but its not something i want to mess with honestly. I dont want to cause more stress for it or pain.
I have a feeling, it will just drop off...but I dont want to pull or cut it off. I couldnt handle that and wouldnt be able to rest knowing if I had caused more damage.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 12:16 pm

I'm just worried about the severed part decaying and then infecting the attached part . . . maybe just a quick "snip" to the connecting piece? It might be more stressful to have a piece of it dragging around and causing problems.

And it's generally accepted that arthropods' nervous systems are too primitive to feel "pain" -- not that I'm condoning mutilating them or anything, just saying that they don't need anesthetic.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 1:39 pm

I think it would be best to remove the limb tbh.. It will be fine without it.
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 2:20 pm

dont dead and dying limbs tend to just come off of their own accord in these types of animals?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 3:20 pm

I don't think so.. but either way, the good part of the limb might start to decay as well as the "dead" part unless it is removed.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/22/2009, 4:09 pm

mrflibble wrote:
dont dead and dying limbs tend to just come off of their own accord in these types of animals?

I would think in some cases yes, i remember a thread on AB where a person had cut off a "broken" "arm" of a scorpion and the "arm" was all empty for fluids and stuff plus no bleeding from the wound so i would think they are able to fix it them self but for Connies sake i dont know what she could do, either cut it off, let it stay or kill the scorp..

if you want to kill it and be quick about it, use boiling water, i have killed a couple of smaller scorps that way and it had worked pretty fast. Boiled up some water and get a big cup of it, then dropped the scorp in there, died instantly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty

Back to top Go down

Broken arm Caraboctonus keyserlingi
Page 1 of 1