The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New guy with first Pandinus.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TiTAN
Pandinus

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-18

New guy with first Pandinus. Empty
PostSubject: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/18/2009, 9:02 pm

Hello! After what seems an eternity I`ve finally got into the hobby with a pair of P. Imperators! I have what appear to be 4i or 5i emps in a ten gallon setup and they seem to have settled down fine (escape attempts aside heh). They seem to have all the bits and pieces intact as far as I have seen so no problems to report. I would say they are about 5 inches or so in length, I would post pics but I only have web access on my mobile and I`ve never tried that before. I guess thats it for now, cheers! Oh, and I apologize if this looks funny, I am on a mobile phone ya know!
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/18/2009, 9:38 pm

Hey, welcome, and congrats on the start of your addiction
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/18/2009, 9:56 pm

Thanks! I already have thoughts and plans for a P. cavimanus (militaris) and a H. spinifer/Laoticus lol
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/18/2009, 10:34 pm

What's your tank setup like?
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/18/2009, 11:21 pm

Nothing fancy, 10 gallon tank with 2inches coconut husk on bottom and about 4 or 5 inches eco earth and potting soil mix on top of that. A wide shallow dish for water and two hides. I am currently using an infrared bulb for heat until I get a suitable heating pad for the side.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 12:28 am

Ok, cool, just making sure you had a good substrate. The most common mistake newcomers to the hobby make is using bark chips or sand.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 2:04 am

Hehe, yea I noticed that even pet stores tend to do bad things like that. Not naming any names here *cough petco cough* lol. I like to research things like this before I get into them, good business and all that Smile . My emps seem to have made themselves at home, they`re drinking and burrowing together! Strangely enough, I have noticed that the larger one is active and agressive for a P. Imperator though. Maybe he ate his spinach haha
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 2:52 am

Welcome to the forum.
Sometimes the agressive "one" is normally a female. Just my experience. The males tend to be more laid back.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 3:18 am

I see, thanks for the info. I was hoping for a matching set, maybe I got lucky Smile ! I will try to sex them soon but I may not be able to tell before they molt. Still not sure on the instar, I want to say 5i based on size but I don`t want to disturb them to try and confirm it tonight. At what instar can you sex P. Imperator? Still learning some stuff hehe.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 11:20 am

The Petco around here isn't TOO bad . . . they use cocofiber, but only enough to cover the bottom of the tank.

You can sex them fairly early on, you just have to get a good look at the pectines and operculum (keep in mind, an immature male's pectines may seem small so you may have to judge by the operculum).

I can never remember what instar emps mature at (regardless of how often people on here remind me Razz), but if their telsons are cream-colored or light brown, they're subadults. White = juvenile, dark brown = adult.

Oh, and my male was a spitfire. Just to keep things weird.
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 1:04 pm

They are certainly sub-adults, as the telsons are a nice creamy brown. If I am not mistaken they are ready to start eating now. I believe I have seen the "feed me seymour" posture lol. I am not to worried about positive id on sex or instar just yet, as I don`t want to stress them out too much. They`ve had an eventful 24 hours and probly just want a feed and a good lurk right now.
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 6:48 pm

I was right! I offered the larger of the pair a superworm as a treat and it was instantly gobbled up. The smaller of the two didn`t want a worm but did however suck down a cricket. The way it was captured was strange though. I believe he/she was pretending to be a T, as the cricket was taken with the mouth parts and not the pincers or the tail. Oh well, they seem happy at least Smile
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 8:49 pm

Update: I have positively identified the smaller/more slender of my pair as a female. Now if the the fat one will just try to climb the corner as well....

Edit: I have a positive id on both emps now. The smaller of the two is a 4i female and the larger is a 5i female. I will be getting a 3rd P. imperator tuesday or wedensday. I Hope I get a male.
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 9:28 pm

Sex it in the shop if its an adult, or ask for the sex.
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:14 pm

I wanted to get out of petco quick so I didn`t take the time to id them in store. This particular petco isn`t that great, improper id on animals. less than ideal enclosures and worst of all, the employees don`t know/care. I found a closer ps that not only knows about what they are doing but also genuinely cares. I will most certainly take the time this go around hehe

Last edited by TiTAN on 8/19/2009, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:16 pm

Thats fantastic. Ive had experience with unknowledgeable pet stores and its a real bum to buy from them, spesh if the scorps are over priced.

Congrats on sourcing a new one
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:23 pm

Thanks, this ps also trying to expand on their arachnids which means more scorps for me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:25 pm

Haha, lucky you, id was lucky to find a ps round here that even sells scorps, i payed 30 quid, like 25 dollars i think for my pandinus
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:38 pm

2xw wrote:
Sex it in the shop if its an adult, or ask for the sex.

I have yet to find a petstore that I could trust with accurately sexing anything other than a hamster.
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:46 pm

hey sexing a hamster isnt all that easy......

maybe a petstore should let a customer sex a scorp before he buys.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 10:59 pm

Are you kidding? Males are seriously packin' Wink Razz

The stores around here will let me sex scorps before I buy 'em if I sound like I know what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 11:03 pm

Anyone can sound like they know what theyre talking about just by spending an hour on here, haha. And i wouldnt know ive never sexed a male hamster before!!
Back to top Go down
TiTAN
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty8/19/2009, 11:28 pm

Shocked Are you serious? 25 for a P. Imperator?! And I though 17 was expensive Sad . I have no doubt these guys will let me sex their scorps for them. It`s a ps run by people who are into what they sell, so no worries. These guys are cool enough that the few who know what they`re talking about at pet smart actually send business they`re way haha. That`s how I found this new source for inverts Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy with first Pandinus.   New guy with first Pandinus. Empty

Back to top Go down

New guy with first Pandinus.
Page 1 of 1