The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

How does it know???!

Go down 
+2
*Connie*
RX8 TuRbo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-23

How does it know???! Empty
PostSubject: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 4:57 am

Im just sitting here scratching my head and trying to figure how the mother emp knows its the baby when its catching its prey!?

Last night I put about 6 large Crickets inside the tank for feeding. I saw the mom grab one of the crickets and started to crush it with its claw and prime her mouth to feed on it. But while she had the cricket in her claw, a baby emp )3ins) grabbed on to the back side of the cricket while in the air to eat some of it too... But while that was happening the mom grabbed the baby emp thinking it was the cricket and was about to crush it..... luckily it was feeling out the baby with its claw and let go of the baby... Like it knew it was her own.... im trying to wonder if they have some type of sense as if it know ITS the baby..... i dont know... it did that a couple of times and im just trying to find out how it knows... lol, it may be a dumb question but im just sitting here thinking HOW does it know?! :/

someone Enlighten me... Shocked
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 5:01 am

Im under the belief that they do communicate to each other.
I think they let out stress signals. Since as when I have gone into the room and begun observing a moulting in process, out of no where all the other scorplings come out, circle it while some dog pile into it to protect it.
I dont know if this is vibrations, a scent they let off or maybe a "vocal" sound too low...or high for us to hear!

Maybe the young let off some warning signal to the mother. or maybe she felt that it was her young with the hairs on her chela.
The movement and shape etc let her know it was her young so let go of her grip.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
RX8 TuRbo
Centruroides
RX8 TuRbo

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 5:08 am

^ yeahh, i was thinking the same about the hairs that may send signal through each other since its sensitive to vibration and sound. maybe how the motion of the hair connects with another scorpions hair... im not sure, but its VERy interesting to watch these little guys.. so intriguing on how these creature communicate!

thank you though, i will go with that theory or Fact. Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 5:22 am

thye probably let of pheromones that alerts the mother that it's a baby or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 10:18 am

I'm gonna go with the tricobothria (sensory hairs) on the chela allowing the female to distinguish between prey and other scorpions. Not necessarily a "don't eat me, mom!" signal, but more like "oh, that's not a cricket" signal.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 4:35 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
I'm gonna go with the tricobothria (sensory hairs) on the chela allowing the female to distinguish between prey and other scorpions. Not necessarily a "don't eat me, mom!" signal, but more like "oh, that's not a cricket" signal.

iam with Mordax on this one.. but will have a read in the Biology of scorpions to see what it says..
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty7/31/2009, 5:17 pm

Old choppy video.
I thought she was gonna eat him too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does it know???!   How does it know???! Empty

Back to top Go down

How does it know???!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: The Burrow in Ghana: Emperor Zone-
Jump to: