The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus Petersii babies.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/28/2009, 7:47 am

Discovered my female Heterometrus Petersii has had soem babies, kind of annoyed cuase 2 weeks ago i finalyl managed to get a hold of a male so i could breed them and 2 weeks later she had babies anyways ¬_¬

Anyways, I've separated the male into his own wee kritter keeper and I've put a jar of water in front of the heat mat in the females tank to ensure high humidity and im gonna leave her well alone as much as i can.

I was watchig Bug Runners' latest vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdJka8IJV64 and he that sometimes 2I scorps climb into the wee holes and nooks in cork bark and ull never get them out, should i remove the hide, she's made a burrow anyways and maybe replace it with something smooth so the babies cant jam themselves in?

Plus, heat mats, they dont actually have to warm the side of the tank/tub or w/e to actually keep the animal warm right? cause the only way im gonna be able to keep the babies is if i put them in cricket tubs and place them on the shelf with the heat mat on the wall, but ause of the shape of the boxes the walls wont be touching hteh eat mat directly, is this ok? Also whats the best way to keep the pups, all together in a big tub or separated into smaller groups in separate tubs, i cant keep them with mother cause hte male would have to go back in the tank and the tank has a sliding glass front door with quite a gap between panes and htey pups could eaily slide out the hole and bolt.

Sorry its a big post i know but thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/28/2009, 9:09 am

sorry i don't know about breeding them yet lol...so leave that to those more knowledgeable!

but i will say...you got a brood for free?! that is awesome...after she's recovered and all the babies have gone, you will be able to find a use for that new male, so it's all good!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/28/2009, 1:42 pm

they do go into the cracks but you can always get them out again with a very soft brush. like a make up powder brush.

Your heat mats are going to have to touch the tank, a lot of heat will go into the air and it wont be enough heat, to heat the tanks.

I would also suggest, to get a taller tank, so you work from the top down, this allows the scorpion more borrowing space. as with the doors on the side you cant make the substrate as deep.

Ive always kept my scorplings in the whole group in one tank. I dont have the room not a secure enough room to have cricket tubs piled as cats will get to them easily. if not open them but knock them around.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/28/2009, 8:20 pm

As Connie said, don't remove the hide. Best not to stress mom for the time being.

If you keep them together, you're going to have a little cannibalism (but not much). If you separate them, you'll have to take more time to feed them individually. It's your call.

And you don't NEED a heat mat. As long as the area around the tank is kept reasonably warm, they'll do fine.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/30/2009, 8:26 am

i have some 5 litre square boxes and some wee heat mats that could fit onto them just need a plug thats within range of a secure place to put hte tank Chin Scratch

And Mordax I take it u dont know too much about the scottish clitmate its the middle of summer and its windy outside and rainy and not exactly warm lol like i said above ill put them in thos 5 litre tubs with the heat mats and find somewhere to plug them in without burning the house down lol
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/30/2009, 8:36 am

If you get enough bugs, it's easier just to get a space heater or radiator for the room you keep them in.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty7/30/2009, 8:51 am

nah im sure the 5 litre tubs would work, a lot cheaper to run than a wee radiator (ne central heating in this house)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Petersii babies.   Heterometrus Petersii babies. Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus Petersii babies.
Page 1 of 1