The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

B. jacksoni question!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
d@nn
Pandinus

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-05

B. jacksoni question! Empty
PostSubject: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/7/2009, 3:54 pm

I've red all about this species, so i'm aware that its not advisable to keep early instars together, because of cannibalism.
But, i'm prepared to take the chance with that.
The problem is feeding.
The enclosure is 25x25x25cm, and inside there are 6 b. jacksoni, 2I i belive.
The main problem is: will they feed on their own, with live mealworms if i just put the worms inside, or do i have to do something special about it, considering their size?
Here are two pics of my setup, so you can have a more accurate ideea.

B. jacksoni question! Dsc02215

B. jacksoni question! Dsc02216
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/7/2009, 5:44 pm

Meal worms can be a nice treat but can tend to be a bit on the "fatty" side (so ive heard, unless im thinking of wax worms)
How about just popping in 2 crickets (small) per scorpion.
(the two is to prevent fighting over one cricket-therefore enough to go around and remove the left overs after 24 hours)
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/7/2009, 7:42 pm

at that size i recommend something that moves fast to get their attention and reduce the chance of cannabalism but somethign still catchable. I say young crickets with their legs PINCHED off. Not ripped off.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/7/2009, 10:18 pm

d@nn wrote:
But, i'm prepared to take the chance with that.

It's not a chance, it's a guarantee. (I started with six 2I C. hentzi and lost ALL of them). Mealworms will burrow, so they're no good for just "tossing in." I'd start by housing your scorps individually and then offering small roaches or crickets.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/8/2009, 12:27 am

Not a guarantee at all I've had success both with B. jacksoni and L.q's in the past both which are suppose to be cannabalistic as juvs. I don't recommend it though.
Back to top Go down
d@nn
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/8/2009, 3:07 am

~Abyss~ wrote:
at that size i recommend something that moves fast to get their attention and reduce the chance of cannabalism but somethign still catchable. I say young crickets with their legs PINCHED off. Not ripped off.

Do you think that young dubia will do the trick?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/8/2009, 11:29 am

Dubia will work, just remember they have a tendency to burrow (not as much as mealworms, but they'll still try) and they're very good at finding nooks and crannies to hide in. Even so I'll occasionally see one of my scorps catch a random dubia nymph that I put in a few days prior.
Back to top Go down
d@nn
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/8/2009, 1:20 pm

OK, so, based on what you all replied, i decided to rehouse the little ones for at least two molts, hoping that they will feed better.
Any comment about this is welcome!
B. jacksoni question! Dsc02311
B. jacksoni question! Dsc02312
B. jacksoni question! Dsc02313
I've never thought they will be so small, i'm used with emps.

So, now i've looked in the box, and they are eating, so it seems this is the answer.
I'm happy!

Last edited by d@nn on 7/8/2009, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/8/2009, 7:04 pm

I wouldn't use mealworms untill they are subadults. Just a recomendation. I love recomending roaches BUT if you plan on putting them communally I think crickets attract more attention and they're pretty easy to catch if you pinch they're back legs off. The problem with dubia is they often burrow, hide, and play dead.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 4:33 am

I would *if it was me* take out the meal worms and would put in injured small crickets (one each)
Back to top Go down
d@nn
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 4:54 am

The only problem is that the crickets are very hard to find around here, but i'l try to find some.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 5:28 am

You havent got a shop that sells reptile and inverts?
Eeek. how about ordering online?
If you can find some and breed them for a while so its not wild you are feeding then one that will be cheaper for you but also not a risk of any nasties being fed to your scorpions
Back to top Go down
d@nn
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 5:59 am

No, there is not such a shop in the area, there isn't a large enough market for this right now i belive.
The wild ones are easy to find, and they are pesticide free, but they are BIG, about four times the size of the little ones.
I will try to find some, and breed them.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 6:09 am

all you need is one male and one female! they will mate and MASS of eggs haha wont take long
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 10:18 am

i use small dubia for mine.. works like a charm.. even with 2 instar..
Back to top Go down
d@nn
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 10:43 am

That is good to know, i have lots of dubia.
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 10:46 am

If you can't find crickets easily, and if you have a colony of mealworms going, just sift through for the smaller mealworms and feed each scorp individually with tweezers -- the first meal I gave my B. jacksoni was small mealworms and they all ate them without a problem. I just didn't give them a chance to burrow.
Back to top Go down
d@nn
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty7/9/2009, 10:58 am

And so i did, but i just cut in half each worm, and each scorp got its own half.
I't worked like a charm !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni question!   B. jacksoni question! Empty

Back to top Go down

B. jacksoni question!
Page 1 of 1