The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge

Go down 
+12
rafiqos
*Connie*
Kuma
LadyRiotControl
Barry
Kejser
Mr. Mordax
Lester
Rideon
binksyboy3
aros
RyoKenzaki
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/25/2009, 7:01 pm

Still not convinced personally, metasoma taped up or not. No two scorpions are the same, some will be agro with you, others not.

If this was a fully acceptable way to handle a scorpion in the hobby / field, I think a professional would have let it be known long before now.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/25/2009, 8:30 pm

well it does give some questions as i tried on my AFS and it just pinch and struggle to escape.. but for his's scorpion.. its just as calm as a baby.. really baffled on this...
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/25/2009, 10:08 pm

the one on video is the day after mites infestation so yeah I intentionally left the telson untaped to see for myself whether it will sting or not and give a chance for the scorpion to defend itself,

the first one was taped because I know its going to be a long procedure that I intended to carry once for all to at least terminate 70% of the parasite on the body.

up to you to believe that fact or not,

by the way I guess you guys are all baffled y they didn't sting,

well I shall try on other specimen if I got the chance.
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 12:37 am

Try mine, aros if we meet :p
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 12:48 am

i would love if u try one of my aggressive one.. even a little vibration puts it into defense...
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 1:01 am

Hey, I got a Q, the other day i found lots of tiny white colored mites looking things walking about in my laoticus community tank. there are some even walking on my laoticuses. so i panic and overhauled the whole thing and basically try to catch as many as i see on the scorps by using a piece of sponge. THen i put them all back in the morning and everything went back to normal. First, are those tiny white mites looking thing dangerous? Second, is everything really 'clean' now?

What about smaller species? how do you remove their mites then?
Back to top Go down
http://slipperyjumps.blogspot.com
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 3:17 am

moving mites are OK, infact they clean up the tank for you.
Its the mites that are small, ini clusters around the joints to worry about
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 3:23 am

right! thanx. so i actually don't need to overhaul the whole tank? just let them walk around and clean up, do they clean up the bad mites too? what happens when they over populate the tank? will they? =)
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 3:55 am

Connie- a Q for u. if you have an infestation of mite (presumably the bad one) what would you do? I know only few percentage have this problem but i just want to know what other people would do if they notice their scorps is infected. No harm done k. just out of curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 5:51 am

The good mites actually eat the bad mites so you can put the good mites on your infested scorpion and they can do a clean-up job of eating the grain mites that dont move
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 7:02 am

Quote :
The good mites actually eat the bad mites so you can put the good mites on your infested scorpion and they can do a clean-up job of eating the grain mites that dont move

wow, I thought grain mites are only to grain. I didn't know that the one sticking to the scorpion which are harmful to them are also called grain mites. I believed they fall under Acaridae family?

I thought they were mites from other genus or family like Sarcoptidae. Or maybe ticks.

whew, all I know is mites makes me No pale

even the harmless one, when they come in swarm make me scratch my head and suffocated lol.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 7:10 am

Keeping mites to a minimum... make sure you take husks out and uneaten crickets, and put woodlice / pill bugs in forest enclosures, they eat waste husks and mites and mould.
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 7:14 am

Quote :
Keeping mites to a minimum... make sure you take husks out and uneaten crickets, and put woodlice / pill bugs in forest enclosures, they eat waste husks and mites and mould.

pill bugs so means any millipedes can be up to this job too, right?
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 11:05 am

not sure about any millipedes to be perfectly honest. I just know that pill bugs / woodlice are ok. But I'm sure there are any other suitable someone will let us know

You just need to make sure you dont put pill bugs in with very tiny scorpions, the pill bug sometimes mistake the scorpions for food!
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 12:51 pm

ah think aros is referring to pill bug millipedes...
Lisa just means woodlice (pill bugs are a type thereof, i think the kind that can roll into a ball...hence why the shorter millipedes were named for them, as well as the superficial similarity), essentially, the little land-based crustaceans that eat wood and random detritus. they generally seem to be ignored by the larger predator that is their tank mate, but they clean up after them...eating faecal matter, discarded bolas, mould, and i *think* mite eggs.

if you can self-collect them, it's good to quarantine the woodlice for a week or two, as they can store pesticides for about that long, from what i've heard. however, since they're unlikely to be eaten, the risk is (i think) quite low.

they are interesting little animals in their own right...easy to care for, just need a a moistened corner of the tank (over-filled waterdishes are fine) so they can breathe through their gills.

edit: hadn't seen what Lisa posted before about very small scorplings... best to heed that warning! otherwise, i believe these are very inoffensive creatures.

Last edited by corpselight on 5/26/2009, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 12:52 pm

Shall i change the topic title to Combating mites with mites?
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 1:20 pm

change -combating mites- alone should be sufficient, because we generally talk about mites here, right?
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 1:26 pm

the other day i panic, my laoticus community was infested with white tiny crawlies even on the scorps, so i overhauled the tank and put the laoticus all back in the morning and everything was back to normal. the night before i even try to take out as much white looking tiny insects from the scorps as possible with a piece of sponge, First; is it all clean now? second, how do i know which is good mite and which is bad mite?
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 1:43 pm

Connie already said that, those mites that move around are the good one while those that stick on your scorp joint and does not move are the bad one
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 1:55 pm

so the one in the water is actually good mites...according to corpselight.. they like overfilled water. I've seen these things moving about in the water.. I thought it was bad mites... so i threw it away and replace with new water... but it kept on coming back but less number... now there is still in there but very little amount...so i presume that the one in the water is good mites then
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 2:00 pm

like lisa said,

keep the mites at minimum is always the best way.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 2:23 pm

yeah the mites do fall in to the water, nice little 'trap' for them to fall into.

just helps keep the numbers under control. whether they are good or bad mites.
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 2:29 pm

Quote :

just helps keep the numbers under control. whether they are good or bad mites.

Because logically when they are too many mites we cannot even differentiate them anyway lol.

And their swarming presence might stressed the scorpion indeed, or the keeper which at the end of the day stressed both parties.

but one mystical question I have is, out of the blues, even if you make sure the place is quarantine like a bubble boy, the mites still appear, now from which black holes they are from, this remains mystery.

Baffled me most of the time lol.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 2:37 pm

good question there aros.. same here... mayb the coco fibre were using.. its just waiting for some water.. or mayb there are already mites eggs inside the fibre.. just s little drop of water and viola!... instant mites...
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty5/26/2009, 2:50 pm

i don noe, because I don really practice microwaving the substrates. Btw urs is microwaved is it, rideon?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next