The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge

Go down 
+12
rafiqos
*Connie*
Kuma
LadyRiotControl
Barry
Kejser
Mr. Mordax
Lester
Rideon
binksyboy3
aros
RyoKenzaki
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:24 am

Im sorry but how is this a good way to hold a scorpion? talk about stressing it out!
Not only is its tail and telson selotaped but its being held upside down mingled through fingers....

There are better ways, one of them being the cupping method or even the tailing method with long padded tongs.

If anyone wants to look underneath their scorpion its very easy to pop into a glass container
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:27 am

[quote="aros"]
Quote :

its a clean discussion I believed, beforehand, forgive my emotional due to the word 'stupid' u use.

cheers-
Aros.

Im sorry if i upset you even more but how could you not think the action of doing that to a living creature "stupid"

Holding a cat buy its tail is "stupid"
Holding a tarantula by one leg is "stupid"

Any person knows this, its all common sense
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:32 am

Im interested to know how does the cupping method work, connie
I usually gently "pinch" the scorp by their side and turn them around2 check for mites or sex it quickly but i only do this to small AFS, im afraid to try it on adult afs
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:35 am

How you use a cup. Place a cup behind the scorpion and put something infront of them to make them back into the cup. Place cup next to hand and gently slide the scorpion onto the hand.
Im talking about "normal" handling of a scorpion and not flipping it every which way in the manner some tanratulas get handled
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:45 am

Alright, i get ur point connie
Can u do me a favor to close down this thread to avoid more mud throwing event?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:50 am

I dont think its mud throwing I think it was scorpion owners in shock.
If someone posted something about handing a cat in a manner that isnt comfortable for a cat, any cat owner would be up in arms. Its natural.

It certainly is a good thread to see peoples views but there are "stressless" methods of handling, sexing, removing mites etc So those who handle in certain ways, have now seen other methods. Its all about expanding your experience with scorpions
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 4:19 am

I understand but the result of this discussing is clear now
Everyone'd understand this method ll stress the scorp
I believe there is no need to keep this topic open as it will only invite more ppl blaming aros for holding the scorp this way
There is nothing to be discuss now
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 5:10 am

just passing by... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 5:12 am

RyoKenzaki wrote:
I believe there is no need to keep this topic open as it will only invite more ppl blaming aros for holding the scorp this way

Nobody's blaming him, they/we are just giving a critical opinion on the method used, as you can see the title of the thread is asking for so. Thats all!
As long as i've been on this forum everyone seems to have a healthy respect for each other on here. Its all opinions on method rather than persons.

As stated there are less stressfull ways to do this and as responsible scorpion keepers we are just not condoning a method which would cause stress to the scorpion and potential injury to the owner.

And even if a scorpion survives a 2 hour ordeal, stress shortens a scorpions lifespan longterm.

Last edited by Kuma on 5/25/2009, 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 5:20 am

This thread reminds me of a Buddhist proverb - When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. It is healthy to discuss and exchange ideas. Let's treat this as an opportunity to learn instead of closing all paths and possibilities it may lead to. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/rafiqos
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 5:28 am

Orait, it can't be help then =p
Lets continue the discussion in the good way everyone
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 5:36 am

I'm all for constructive criticism, however, not when the comments are demeaning and set the "student" up for embarrassment! I'm glad to see there are other methods that can be tried though. Btw, it's good to keep an open mind, you're not in the other person's shoes!
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 6:28 am

I believe different ppl have their way to handle their problem
Be it good or bad we should somehow respect their way hmm...
Back to top Go down
aros
Pandinus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 8:45 am

Well I hope it will be free from flame here.

First of all we seriously don't know which way is the stress free way or either that way exist or not because scorpion shows no sign of facial expression, one way we can judge is by seeing their body language.

But given limited space for them to move will seems like they do not move at all.

I'm just saying if there is a way to immobilize the scorpion which is by holding the pincer might open up new possibility to hold a scorpion.

I seriously don't mean to handle for fun because it will stress them and might hurt them too. -understood well-

And I also have a clear concept that every scorpion is different and should be treated as individual even within the same species as well.

It just occur to me that this is a good way that I found out and would like to share with you guys and share thoughts of what should and not.
From here I hope to improvise.

I repeat, I do not have any hidden agenda or motive from what I do.

Now from now on we should focus on the method and not the 'student'.

Any constructive comments are most welcome while if you have a negative one, I advise you manage your language and act professionally.

As you can see, once I grab the pincer, the scorpion was calmer than grabbing the telson.

Note should also be taken that the scorpion does not use the tail in attempt to defense itself.

Lastly, I apologize if this look like an act that hurt/break the rights of the animal,

Should I misinterpret the body language of the scorpion, I'm open to any translator to interpret the neuro-linguistic programming.

the video:

Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 11:30 am

I'm baffled as to how it doesn't just sting you.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 11:39 am

I'd like to point out here that in his first post, Kejser called this method of handling stupid, he did not call any hobbyist stupid. I haven't seen much mud slinging, either -- mostly just spirited discussion.

And I'm just as baffled as Calum as to why it's not stinging or struggling to escape. scratch

Last edited by Mr. Mordax on 5/25/2009, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 11:39 am

Thats what i was thinking
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 11:52 am

yea....im wondering is that like a secret way like they have for calming sharks by turning them around, but this is for scorpions....? though im not gona try it on any of mine. =( siape tu dlm video? x gemuk pun y call him gemuk?
Back to top Go down
http://slipperyjumps.blogspot.com
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 12:09 pm

the one calling him gemuk is his bro if im not mistaken.. he said it once.. im baffled as to y his scorp did not try to escape.. i tryied on mine but it struggled and even pinch my fingers.. i dunno mayb he has a magic touch...
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 12:16 pm

ouch! haaaaahahahaha thats y im never gona try on any of mine. haha.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 12:28 pm

delirium any new scorps?
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 12:59 pm

hm... since u asked, yea. I have a new paucidens. im begining to like them alot. their personality is pretty calm. as long as u have a tiny space for it to tuck into nicely they will be pretty happy. =) so used to havng fat scorps, seeing big 'flat' ones move among those stacked rocks i made is just facinating. =) and im very happy when they are happy.

n i don understand y my Hadrurus Arizonensis wont go into the hole/burrow i made for him???
Its nice n long and dark n it wont collapse cause i had a wood bark over the hole. confused
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 3:25 pm

scorpions like to create thier own burrows. I've tried before, they sometimes use them for a few days but will then create thier own.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 4:34 pm

its not stinging or hurting any handler because its tail and telson have been selotaped (see starter pics)
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty5/25/2009, 5:17 pm

i believe for this one the tail were not sellotaped in any case...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge   A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A new way to hold a scorp? Good or bad, come judge
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next