The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Cleaning up the remains

Go down 
+3
bjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Namron55
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Namron55
Pandinus
Namron55

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-05-03

Cleaning up the remains Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 3:39 am

Hey I was wondering if anyone has the same problem I just encountered; After I fed my scorpion, he left some remains of a cricket in his burrow and I don't know how to get it out of there before it grows nasty mold. I don't want to destroy his burrow, and its pretty deep down there. Anyone have any tips or tricks to solve this problem? Thank you to anyone in advance for the help.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 4:05 am

Unless you can reach it with long tweezers, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'd expect the scorp to do "housekeeping" and remove anything from the burrow that doesn't belong.
Back to top Go down
Namron55
Pandinus
Namron55

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 4:15 am

Yeah I can't reach it with tweezers, he dug himself a nice burrow. That's a relief, I try to keep his place as clean as possible to make him as happy as possible. After moving the heating pad to the back side he's been popping out and with claws ready, I think waiting for food or as I've seen on here, the " feed me position". I just don't want to over feed him. The temp is around 88 degrees so he could be more active or something.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 4:18 am

It's pretty hard to overfeed an emp. Usually they'll just keep stuffing themselves until they're full, then they won't eat for a few months and make the owner panic. Razz
Back to top Go down
Namron55
Pandinus
Namron55

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 4:26 am

Oh okay so it's like thanksgiving for people. It was funny, he tried to grab a cricket and missed it, but he got one of his legs and started munching on it while he waited for him to crawl back around to his hide.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 4:28 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Usually they'll just keep stuffing themselves until they're full, then they won't eat for a few months and make the owner panic. Razz
Hence your sig Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Namron55
Pandinus
Namron55

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 4:38 am

I now realize why you have that quote in your signature... people must ask that question a lot. I can't blame them if they're new to scorpion owning. I have a new found respect for scorpions, they're beautiful and have a dominating presence about them.
Back to top Go down
Namron55
Pandinus
Namron55

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 9:10 am

Say, I was wondering... Is normal for an Emp. to eat about 1 large and 2 smaller crickets in one night? Cause my Emp. has been in "feed me pose" cricket after cricket. He's back now doing the same thing and maybe wanting a cricket. I tried to give him another about an hour ago but he didn't really go after it, it went into his burrow but he didn't try for it. Sorry about all the questions, I bet it was answered before.
Back to top Go down
Namron55
Pandinus
Namron55

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 9:30 am

I took a picture of him, maybe in the "feed me" pose. I know it's kinda blurry, the flash bounces off the glass and without the flash it doesn't show up. Cleaning up the remains L_6b1032be4087497a95e609b5fc719702
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/9/2009, 11:29 am

Yes, it was in fact answered earlier in this thread. Razz

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Usually they'll just keep stuffing themselves until they're full

And yeah, that's the "feed me" pose.
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/10/2009, 3:41 pm

I know I'm goin off topic but as a response to your cleaning up cricket remains there is a type of millipede you can put in your tank that will clean up and your scorp won't eat it
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/10/2009, 3:50 pm

yep, milipedes, woodlice, etc..
Back to top Go down
Tabor
Pandinus
Tabor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/17/2009, 3:53 pm

isopods, i use 3 per 6x6" area of ground space, and also only in adult's cages.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/17/2009, 4:02 pm

Tabor wrote:
also only in adult's cages.

Good point, that. I suggested isopods to someone as a cleanup crew, and one went and killed his 2I U. mordax.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty5/17/2009, 11:41 pm

Tabor wrote:
isopods, i use 3 per 6x6" area of ground space, and also only in adult's cages.

If you use tropical isopods, tiny little white ones or pink, you can easily use them with what ever scorpion instar you want, these live off dead stuff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning up the remains   Cleaning up the remains Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning up the remains
Page 1 of 1