The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.

Go down 
+2
*Connie*
CorsePerVita
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CorsePerVita
Hadogenes
CorsePerVita

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-25

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty
PostSubject: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/28/2009, 4:04 am

Unfortunately, we got my fiance a kitten a while back. This kitten grew up and became a bit malicious. It showed interest in my scorpion tanks, all of which are latched. Except the emperor tank... it had an opening with a hinge to get water on the substrate. My fiance thought she would show the kitty because it showed so much interest. My fiance isn't too well educated on scorpions so I can't blame her. Somehow the cat got in and managed to capture the scorpion, get it outside of the habitat and kill it.

I woke up one morning to check my stocks and get my morning brew. Went to check on zergy and the entire top portion of the habitat was not only moved over... but his hide was flipped upside down and no signs of zergy.

My first reaction was "Don't move, for fear of stepping on him, look around carefully... places he might want to hide."

I said "Amanda... we have a problem."

literally 30 seconds later i hear an "AHH it's up here OH MY GOD!" (she didn't mind scorpions when they're in the tank, near her feet are another thing...) and apparently zergy was dead, she didn't know that though... and nearby the bed where the cat put it.

Needless to say I was NOT a happy camper.

I educated my fiance on the scorpion habitats and "Curious cats" and we found a place to put the habitat with a new setup, latched, hinged, and in a tight enough spot that there is no humanly (errr catly way...) possible for it to get into it.

I started my search for another emperor. I had zergy for a long time (I want to say close to 2 years now) and have only experienced a few scorpion deaths out of ALL of the scorpions i have kept over the years since I got interested in this. (I also have IHeartMantids and other community members to thank for all of the wonderful education) but zergy was a cool scorpion and i'll miss him.

RIP Zergy. (picture of him in the after-arthropod-life)

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0129

I started my search for another emperor. I didn't just "want another emperor" but one that had a little bit of personality to him and one that stuck out. I went from store to store. Put my number in at some places that were getting them in normally. Eventually a petco called me "We've got 3." i came down and checked them out and watched for a few. They lifted up the hide and showed me. There was 2 smaller ones, and a bigger one running around. Every time one of the others got near him he'd push them around and get back in the spot he wanted to go to. He was HUGE. I said "Mind if i look at him?" and the guy scooped him up and put him down on the top of the terrarium. The others were pretty mellow and this one turned on him and gave him a little warning. I said "I can tell that one has a bit of personality from the others, i like it. I'll take that one."

I didn't want to leave him in the cold, so I brought him to work with me. My co-workers knew I kept scorpions, but pretty much none of them had seen a scorpion in person at least not one as big as him... So it was cool to show people a bit about the hobby and educate people. I got a lot of "Will it kill me?" followed by simple education and how docile the emperor is compared to others, etc.... and "You want to hold it?" (knowing no one would say yes, lol, i don't handle my emps anymore anyway) with a prompt "EW NO OMG you can hold them?"

I hadn't seen any crickets, fed him a few crickets and he would stuff the WHOLE DARN THING down! I was used to zergy picking at them face first and enjoying them slowly like a snack. This one flat out was pretty much *NOM* all gone. I had never seen an emperor do that.

So because zergy was so popularly named after "zerg" from starcraft (seemed to fit him) i named this one "Torrasque" which is the name of a very large zerg. Fit him well because he dwarfs zergy in size. Much larger... Here's some pictures of my new addition to the family.

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0065

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0074

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0079

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0082

I have a feeling when he gets bigger I'm going to have to do something about the tank, or get a bigger one, good lord he can ALMOST touch the top....
RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0086

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0084

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0089

Nom nom crunch crunch
RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0105

I can't understand you with your mouth full..... At least chew first?
RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0105

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0097
Back to top Go down
http://www.oo2w.com/site/
CorsePerVita
Hadogenes
CorsePerVita

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/28/2009, 4:30 am

The crafty evil one...
Yeah when i was putting torrasque into his new habitat the cat was doing this...

I can has scorpion?
RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0088

What? Has to be one in here i smellz it...
RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0087

WTF where he go?
RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. DSC_0068
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/28/2009, 4:43 am

Your cat is lovely. I have 4 so know how important it is to keep your tanks and inverts inside safe.
We lost a juvi "king baboon" to our kittens and I also nearly lost my Iomachus Politus. I found her behind another tank, her dosile still nature meant the kittens didnt see her and they walked away and she ran to safety. We didnt know it was the kittens and blamed Kiki our older cat...Poor Kiki we soon learnt that it was the 3 ginger boys!!!
But my fiance was so upset about his king baboon, we had had it from very very small and it was just starting to really get big! Oh dear.

If you give us pectine shots we can sex your scorpion for you unless you have already and know how to sex pandinus imperator.

But note to finace, dont show the cat whats inside the tank Smile
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/28/2009, 11:18 am

that's so sad about your Emp, dude.. least you got another one to fill the void... It always sucks when a scorpion dies.. especially your first one. Sad

and at least the cat didn't get tagged. bad kitty!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/28/2009, 2:25 pm

CorsePerVita wrote:
My fiance thought she would show the kitty because it showed so much interest.

Bang Head

My fiancee and I have two cats and a myriad of bugs, and the cats simply aren't allowed in the bugroom without human supervision. There was one time where she thought they ate her A. metallica and FLIPPED OUT until we found it hiding behind the window blinds the next day, minus a leg.

I'm glad you found a nice new addition, and I hope you can keep the cat out. Squirt guns work wonders. Wink

And I can tell why your new scorp is such a pig! It's too skinny! Keep letting him / her / it stuff its face until it refuses food and packs on some weight. Very Happy If you're lucky it's a girl who came over gravid.

PS, this is IHeartMantids (see sig)
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/28/2009, 6:41 pm

Too bad the cat didn't get tagged it would have thought twice before doing it again.

Last edited by diabollicallycursed on 3/29/2009, 4:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited, no animal cruelty comments. see rules of forum)
Back to top Go down
CorsePerVita
Hadogenes
CorsePerVita

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/29/2009, 2:57 pm

diabollicallycursed wrote:
Too bad the cat didn't get tagged it would have thought twice before doing it again.

i hear ya. i doubt it would kill the cat. i was kinda hoping he at least love pinched him.

good to see everyone again, how ya been iheartmantids? and i see connie is still here too!
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/29/2009, 4:06 pm

tl;dr

One of the reasons that I don't like cats all that much [they're so nosy with other pets being around] ...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty3/29/2009, 7:32 pm

I know I can't stand my fiances two fat nosey cats they just sit there and eye my rose hair. I swear I'll give them away if anything happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.   RIP Zergy :( My first emperor. Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Zergy :( My first emperor.
Page 1 of 1