The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty
PostSubject: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/12/2009, 1:15 pm

Good day everyone
Few weeks ago my 3instar HH died due to molting problem after stucking in the exoskeleton for more than 3hours
Weird thing is the carapace didn't even cracked up and im sure it's attempting molting as i can see dried old exoskeleton on its mesasoma

Here's a picture to explain my description *Notice the dried exoskeleton at the end of its mesasoma*
Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death 100_6385
Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death 100_6387

At 1st i suspect it's the fan that i put directly in front of it that cause the humidity to dried up too fast causing the old exoskeleton harden up too fast before it can crack up the carapace but recently one of my friend have the same problem even though he doesn't have a fan facing the scorp directly

Below is a picture of my friend HH
Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Picture031
It might not be clear but notice the carapace and mesasoma u can see the dried up old exoskeleton

Both of us suspect its due to the black sand we use for the HH because other friend of us who use dry coco fiber seems to be molting without problem
Shouldn't be humidity problem too as we live in a quite humid country and i had just sprayed a few drop of water in the enclosure a night before it passed away
What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/12/2009, 1:20 pm

im just hoping to get an answer.. This is such a mystery...
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/12/2009, 2:12 pm

even with things 100% correct moulting problems can happen which result in deaths.
Sad
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/12/2009, 2:21 pm

But is the substrate the main problem?? most i see who do have HH use desert sand for their substrate. But for us, we use black sand.. and both of us have the same problem..
Back to top Go down
Lester
Tityus
Lester

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/14/2009, 9:16 am

hi guys .. i have register in here too Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/14/2009, 2:12 pm

So no one's confused, I think Lester is the friend who had the same problem.

Lester, can you confirm this?
Back to top Go down
Lester
Tityus
Lester

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/14/2009, 3:48 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
So no one's confused, I think Lester is the friend who had the same problem.

Lester, can you confirm this?

hmm ... sorry nt me ... i nt the one .. Smile my H.h molted but friend of Ryo and ridon

cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/14/2009, 4:08 pm

Ah, ok then, so you were letting them know you were here.

Ok, confusion averted.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/17/2009, 6:04 am

Its me who has the same problem as ryo did. Both of us used black sand in its enclosure. Both of our HH died with the same problem.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/18/2009, 1:52 pm

I dont think the colour of a sand changes the sand....
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/18/2009, 2:25 pm

What i mean is did i use the wrong substrate to house my HH?
Anyone else house their HH in sand substrate?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/18/2009, 8:36 pm

No, Connie, but if it's made black by artificial means . . . there could be something detrimental to invertebrates used in the process.

I honestly have no idea what it could be. What does the sand say it's recommended for? You could maybe soak it in some water and use an aquarium test kit to see if there's anything scary in it.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty3/20/2009, 3:56 am

When i bought my black sand, i wash it with clean water and then use boiled water to kill some of the batteria that may have been in the sand. after that i let the sun dries it. Then use for my HH. I dunno what caused the death but im sure than when i get another HH i wont be using this sand again..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death   Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death Empty

Back to top Go down

Mysterious Hottentotta Hottentotta Death
Page 1 of 1