The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hadgones paucidens question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dannyboi
Pandinus
dannyboi

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Hadgones paucidens question Empty
PostSubject: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 11:26 am

Hi everyone

Cool forum. I got a sub adult Hadgones paucidens just yesterday for €40, this is my third scorpion (had two emperors previously). Ive put it in an old 30 gallon tank that I had lying around. I asked the sales chap if I could add another scorpion to the tank due to it being so large and he said that if there were enough hiding holes and the scorps were well fed that it should be fine.

However after reading some posts in here I see that the Hadgones paucidens dosent seem to be communal, any advice? Its a big tank and i'd really like to add an emperor or even Hadgones paucidens in a week or so.

Also, I am using a heat mat, do scorpions need a lamp aswell? ive search the net and some sites say yes and others say no. Cheers...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 11:30 am

First off, do NOT put an emperor in with it! These two species have vastly different humidity requirements. Emps are forest scorpions and require lots of humidity; flatrocks do best where it is very dry.

With a tank that large, it may be possible to house another flatrock, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I'd just get a smaller tank.

The heat source you use is up to you. Either one works. Personally, I just keep the bug room in our apartment warm.

And sorry to say it, but I think you got ripped off. Forty Euro is about $50, and I only paid $15 whenever I've bought this species. In fact, the only scorpions I've seen that were so expensive were a few species of Androctonus.
Back to top Go down
dannyboi
Pandinus
dannyboi

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 11:46 am

Cheers for the reply, this is the cheapest scorpion ive ever seen here in Ireland, most emperors cost around €60, i think it must be the cost of importation or somthing
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 12:09 pm

Wow! Ok, didn't know that.
Back to top Go down
dannyboi
Pandinus
dannyboi

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 12:29 pm

Yeah scorpions, tarantulas and other exotic type pets in general are expenive over here, could I split the tank with a glass divider, and maintain either side (15 Gallons) to suit the particular species of scorpion?
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 2:52 pm

Lisa's the expect at dividing tanks (Ladyriotcontrol) Look at some of her threads

And Welcome to the site!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 2:53 pm

With one species, yeah. If you had an emp on one side and a flatrock on the other, the humidity would probably equilibrate and be bad for both of them.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 5:16 pm

haha cheers leon Smile

Dividing tanks is easy and economical, and you dont need to be the best person at DIY in the world to do it.

However I would suggest that if you are to 'split' tanks you keep similar habitat species together. As mike suggested mixing a desert/forest enclosure will more likely than not cause mycosis in the desert species. I have a burrowing forest tank and just about to finish my desert tank

click here for forest tank
click here for desert tank

hope these help you Smile
Back to top Go down
KingSondre
Pandinus
KingSondre

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 5:38 pm

H.P's aren't very communal no. And adding another one would lead to someone getting killed.

If I were you (or this problem happened to me Razz ) I would actually get a new tank for the HP, and get more emps in the large tank, since they are communal and seem to enjoy eachothers company alot. Razz

I don't know how your setup is - just remember; don't put the heat mat Under. It goes on the sides. You don't really need a lamp. As long as temperature and humidity is good it's no problem. Lamp AND heatmat might be a little too much, but I don't have much experience with lamps. Never used them.
Back to top Go down
dannyboi
Pandinus
dannyboi

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I might get a new tank for the HP in a while and use the large tank for a few emperors then because I dont want any murders or cannibalism Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty3/10/2009, 6:46 pm

good idea Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hadgones paucidens question   Hadgones paucidens question Empty

Back to top Go down

Hadgones paucidens question
Page 1 of 1