The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

How to Handle emps

Go down 
+5
Deathstalker
Kejser
Mr. Mordax
scorpion111
binksyboy3
9 posters
AuthorMessage
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/7/2009, 1:14 pm

How do you guys pick up your emperor scorpions?
I have been picking mine up by the tail but lately they have been reaching up to try and pinch me.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/7/2009, 1:25 pm

I tail them, only if I have too. judging by they're reactions, they don't like being handled.

as for the pinching problem, put something in the way between your hand and the scorp. the scorp will go for the object instead.

I prefer this method because it is quick, and causes less stress than jabbing it around to get it into a cup.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/7/2009, 2:00 pm

I'd say tailing is more stressful than getting 'em into a cup -- you don't need to jab them, just gently prod them.

Binks, this question comes up a lot. The best way in my opinion is just to place your hand flat on the substrate and scootch them on to your hand with some gentle prodding, using either a stick, some tongs, or your other hand.

Most scorpions calm down a lot once they're out of the tank -- then they're just on a big soft piece of ground instead of cornered.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/8/2009, 5:37 am

Thanks.
Ive seen videos of people picking up their scorpions by the body, thunb on one side, and the fingers on the other and it works pretty well. But i guess that they are very docile scorps.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/8/2009, 9:53 am

binksyboy3 wrote:
Thanks.
Ive seen videos of people picking up their scorpions by the body, thunb on one side, and the fingers on the other and it works pretty well. But i guess that they are very docile scorps.

I whouldnt recommend that metode for scorpions.. no matter what scorpion..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/8/2009, 1:26 pm

Yeah, that kind of positions the stinger to launch into the palm of your hand if they don't like it. I've only ever done that with a half-dead emp that was too far gone to climb onto my hand willingly.

It works pretty well for some tarantulas, though, if you do it just right.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/10/2009, 3:21 pm

yeah that method has worked well for me with T's but i'd never use it for scorps though!
Back to top Go down
KingSondre
Pandinus
KingSondre

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-23

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty3/10/2009, 4:04 pm

I'd say tailing is more stressful, if not Most stressful. That normally gets them quite fired up, and they will try to pinch and normally act a bit defensive for a while after.
I normally use my hand rather than the cup. They don't seem very stressed at all, even though they often need a little nudge to walk onto my hand, and accept pretty much everything. After tailing them they are more stressed and more prone to pinch or sting.
Back to top Go down
Iberian88
Pandinus
Iberian88

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-28

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty6/3/2009, 7:23 pm

I read somewhere that handling a scorpion reduces it's life span. Is there any truth to this? Can someone please confirm this?
Back to top Go down
Chaika
Centruroides
Chaika

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-04-21

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty6/4/2009, 7:35 am

Iberian88 wrote:
I read somewhere that handling a scorpion reduces it's life span. Is there any truth to this? Can someone please confirm this?
I think that stress of any kind reduces an animal's lifespan. So the more you handle the more stress the animal experiences the less it lives. Also, there is quite a lot of scientific literature on the effect of rest deprivation on a variety of animals (incl. insects) so based on what I've read I would think that if you purposefully disturb the scorpion in its hide in order to handle it then you're more likely to reduce it's lifespan then if you just get it to walk onto your hand when it's up and about anyway.
Example: I used to have two hamsters when I was a kid (I know it's far from a scorpion but just to illustrate), one lived for just about 2yrs and the other over 3yrs. Needless to say the one that lived the longest was the one I handled the least (exams, studying and all that) and I think that the difference was at least partially caused by the stress associated with waking them up to handle them during the day when they wouldn't normally be active.

PS - sorry for the essay lol!
Back to top Go down
sm6xvz
Pandinus
sm6xvz

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-03-18

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty6/4/2009, 10:03 am

I use to fole my scorps with a little stick or a twezzer in to a cup.
never pick them up with my bare hands...
I don´t want to put myself in a situation that I can be stung. yhaa I´m a little cowerd Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://flumflum.se/
Chaika
Centruroides
Chaika

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-04-21

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty6/4/2009, 10:48 am

sm6xvz wrote:
I don´t want to put myself in a situation that I can be stung. yhaa I´m a little cowerd Embarassed
Nothing to be ashamed of there Wink. Perfectly respectable not to want to be bitten or stung! I'm really careful when moving my scorp and the T's too just because I don't like the idea either.
Back to top Go down
Iberian88
Pandinus
Iberian88

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-28

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty6/4/2009, 4:08 pm

Chaika wrote:
Iberian88 wrote:
I think that stress of any kind reduces an animal's lifespan. So the more you handle the more stress the animal experiences the less it lives. Also, there is quite a lot of scientific literature on the effect of rest deprivation on a variety of animals (incl. insects) so based on what I've read I would think that if you purposefully disturb the scorpion in its hide in order to handle it then you're more likely to reduce it's lifespan then if you just get it to walk onto your hand when it's up and about anyway.
Example: I used to have two hamsters when I was a kid (I know it's far from a scorpion but just to illustrate), one lived for just about 2yrs and the other over 3yrs. Needless to say the one that lived the longest was the one I handled the least (exams, studying and all that) and I think that the difference was at least partially caused by the stress associated with waking them up to handle them during the day when they wouldn't normally be active.

PS - sorry for the essay lol!

Ah. I see. Thank you for the information. Ya. I don't disturb mine at all. It's my brother who will tap on the lid of it's container whenever he comes around to observe it, but I told him not to do it anymore, especially since she's gravid for several weeks now, which brings me to my next rather off topic question-- is 3" to 6" of dirt necessary, particularly for "post- labor," or will the coconut dome- as you can see in my avatar where she's laying atop it- be sufficient? So if anything I just handle it when it's most active during the night? Haha. No problem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How to Handle emps Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Handle emps   How to Handle emps Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Handle emps
Page 1 of 1