The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)

Go down 
+6
*Connie*
Deathstalker
Andrew273
Mr. Mordax
Venom
MonsterFish
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MonsterFish
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/5/2009, 3:16 pm

Can deathstalkers climb glass?

If so can anything be smeared on the glass to stop them?

If not, how deep should the aquarium/vivarium be so that the scorpion could not climb out?
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/5/2009, 4:35 pm

They don't climb glass at all.

But they MIGHT climb the glue that is used to put the glass together at the corners
Back to top Go down
MonsterFish
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/5/2009, 4:42 pm

So a completely escape proof lid is still essential then in case they climb the silicone, no height of tank is escape proof if open topped?

How high could a full grown deathstalker reach, ie to grab a lid to climb if it were unable to climb the silicone?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/6/2009, 1:40 am

Split from the caresheet.

As venom said, no scorpions can climb a sheer surface, but it's possible in theory that they may climb the silicone in the corner. If you ask me, it's dumb to keep ANY invert in an open-top container -- especially one as venomous as the species in question.

In order for a lid to be outside a scorpion's reach, the shortest wall height would have to be greater than the scorpion's fully-extended tail + body + pinchers.
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/6/2009, 2:21 am

I keep a few things in lidless containers (G rosea, S rubronitens, C cyanpubescens). No scorpion can climb glass. My LQs (Lieurus quinquestriatus, Israeli Deathstalker scorpions) live in a container with a sliding lid which I can put a lock on. I'm lazy and my bug room is blocked off so i don't.

Do not screw with LQs. Even if there's no recorded cases of them climbing the silicone why take that chance?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/6/2009, 3:04 am

Why would you keep tarantulas lidless? They can climb glass just fine.
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/6/2009, 2:39 pm

*shrugs*
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/7/2009, 3:54 am

I had T's that would climb glass very easily! why take the risk and lose a T when u can simpily put a lid on!!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/7/2009, 4:31 am

We had the t blondi up the glass yesterday and pressed to the lid...man im glad we have a lid because he would have been out and gone and probably would have eaten the kittens ha ha
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
MonsterFish
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/8/2009, 1:50 pm

Thanks for the answers, I wasn't planning in keeping it in an open-topped tank.

I will keep it in a locked viv but the viv sits inside another aquarium as an extra precaution, the lrger aquarium has a lid but is not very secure. If in the very unlikely event that it were to get out of the vivarium I wanted to be confident it could still not escape the aquarium.

My Godson (3) is often about so I am taking every step I can to make sure it is secure.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/8/2009, 2:04 pm

...::shaking head::...

no comment

EDIT: wait, wait....UGH!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/8/2009, 2:09 pm

If it could get on the lid of the inner aquarium, could it reach the top of the outer aquarium?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/8/2009, 2:15 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
If it could get on the lid of the inner aquarium, could it reach the top of the outer aquarium?

you're trying to get me to "UGH" again aren't you?

MY PEACE: Deathstalkers, in theory can't climb glass, are sneaky buggers! they have been reported to scale many enclosure walls. lid? if you don't put a lid on it, you deserve the chaos that may ensue!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/8/2009, 2:23 pm

I wasn't trying to make you snap, Ras; I just wanted to ensure that there was sufficient precaution being taken.

Monster fish, you might wanna find a way to secure that outermost lid.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/8/2009, 2:28 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
I wasn't trying to make you snap, Ras; I just wanted to ensure that there was sufficient precaution being taken.

I was just adding another "UGH" to further emphasize my obvious disliking for this thread.

you know the next question is gonna be "My Androctonus australis just stung me when I tried picking him up, what should I do?"

common sense dictates, that unless one lives exposed in the native habitat of that species and is prone to finding said species hanging out in their shoes or various other locations of their living quarters on a regular basis, that one should keep it in an enclosure that is 100% escape proof.
Back to top Go down
MonsterFish
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/10/2009, 5:38 pm

Rasputin I think you are missing the point of my thread.

The scorpion will be in a sealed vivarium under lock and key as I said.

The outer aquarium that the viv will be set in is as a very last completely hypothetical barrier.
Do you keep your scorpions under double lock and key????

I am just being anal about precautions, that’s why I am asking the questions regarding the outer aquarium even though there is in all likelihood zero percent chance of the scorpion ever being outside of its locked vivarium.

Everyone who has taken the time to actually read the posts and respond intelligently, I thank you.

"If it could get on the lid of the inner aquarium, could it reach the top of the outer aquarium?"

Yes I suppose it could. I will just ensure the outer aquarium is secure as well to be 100%
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/10/2009, 5:47 pm

as long as the main lid is secure, you should be fine. the only time I use multiple enclosures is if I'm worried about somebody being stupid and getting into my critters or if there's a 4 legged miscreant that has access to the area.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/10/2009, 6:59 pm

i'd defo try n secure the lid! in the Uk as your prob awere we need a license to keep deathstalkers and all the locks and set ups get checked before the license is granted! sometimes its just not worth the hassle!
Back to top Go down
SSRH.NBK
Pandinus
SSRH.NBK

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/12/2009, 2:50 am

Deathstalker wrote:
i'd defo try n secure the lid! in the Uk as your prob awere we need a license to keep deathstalkers and all the locks and set ups get checked before the license is granted! sometimes its just not worth the hassle!
I would think the license is a little more hassle than it's worth.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/12/2009, 12:19 pm

yes, it is..

in some places it can be £2000+ a year. (some place in wales, I think..)

plus all the checks, locks, and other crap you need..
Back to top Go down
MonsterFish
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/12/2009, 10:31 pm

Its only about £100 a year here for a species like this so it isn't too bad.

I'll get my set-up organised and apply and take it from there.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty3/14/2009, 3:31 pm

Just to mention, i have a tank with sliding doors on it i keep my heterometrus spinifer and it managed to use the silicone in the corner n the door frame as a ladder and made it all the tway onto the lid without falling off. so no sliding doors ifi ts a LQ
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)   Glass-climbing (deathstalkers) Empty

Back to top Go down

Glass-climbing (deathstalkers)
Page 1 of 1