The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Housing question?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
burtaandurny101
Pandinus

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/14/2009, 5:45 pm

First off i would like to apologize for asking so many questions.

I really like my new emp and would like to get another one. mine is a male and i do not paricularely want to risk having a bunch of scorplings to care for.....
Would it be alright to keep to males in the same cage? would they eat each other? went to the store today and was about to get one but i thought it best to stay away from spiratic purchases if i am not sure if they will be alright.
the ones at the pet store are all adults, would a sub-adult and adult not work together? what about getting one about 1.5 inches and putting it in with mine?
Agian, sorry for the stupid questions, almost daily. thank you.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/14/2009, 5:51 pm

Don't worry about stupid questions; we were all n00bs at one point. Let me break things down.

Baby scorps are generally easy to take care of and don't require a lot of space. I was in the same situation as you when I started out and was nervous when I realized I had a male / female pair. Then I was disappointed when I never got babies after all.

Two males will be ok together as long as you remove any established territories -- take out all hides and scorpions, mix the substrate up real well, then put the hides back in (rearranged) and introduce the scorpions. Scuffles usually calm down within the first day or two.

Emps are not known for being cannibalistic, but they may munch on a tankmate on occasion. This doesn't happen often, though it's a risk for any species, even the communal ones ("they're always communal until they're not").

I've kept an adult male with an unsexed subadult before without problems.

1.5 inches and an adult seems to be a large enough size discrepancy that I wouldn't risk it, unless it was a female and one of her offspring that had been kept together the whole time.

One final note -- are you sure yours is a male?

Hope this clears a few things up for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
burtaandurny101
Pandinus

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/14/2009, 9:21 pm

i sexed it myself but it seems very clear with a magnifying glass and the "biology of scorpans."
i think i will prolly get a female and hope they dont mate and if they do, i think i am experienced enough with ecotics i can deal, find homes for them, maybe make a litle $$ on the side.
thank you
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/14/2009, 9:38 pm

Haha...you are sooo hooked! Its awesome to see people get into scorpions!!! You have some great questions burt! It helps all of us learn something...or at least think about something we need to. Keep asking and get some pics of yours up. And start clearing out your room to make room for all the new tanks...lol
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/15/2009, 6:42 am

I wouldnt risk a huge size difference but we are all different. I would wait for an adult male or female to come into the shop. The WC *wild caught* females are normally gravid and will have babies but sometimes they are not gravid.
Mating wont happen without help in the tank such as a flat surface for it all to happen on...

Best bet is to move the tank all around like Mike said, move the hides, mix up the substrate and put it all back in new places, get another adult pandinus imperator *brown telson* and take both out and put them both in together and then sit back and wait for things to calm down...and they SHOULD but if you really dont think it will then you will need to take someone out and forget it because sometimes scorpions get along, and sometimes they dont!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/15/2009, 1:31 pm

Forgot to mention -- to the untrained eye, scorpion mating looks an awful lot like fighting. They grab pinchers and walk back and forth, sometimes playing "swords" with their tails and possibly with the male stinging the female.
Back to top Go down
burtaandurny101
Pandinus

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/15/2009, 5:24 pm

Haha, i have spent the last week rearranging my reptile/arthropod room out to make room for new additions to the creepy crawlie family.
i have always been into scorps but have always just bought snakes and such....
i am off to get a female today!!!
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Housing question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Housing question?   Housing question? Empty2/15/2009, 6:05 pm

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content