The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

V. spinigerus Community Attempt

Go down 
+5
Vietnamese510
redknee
Athlon2k2
*Connie*
Mr. Mordax
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/7/2008, 5:52 pm

I don't have any photos of it, but it's a 2.5 gallon tank with three large pieces of cork arranged to give plenty of hides.

Obviously not secure enough hides. Sad
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/7/2008, 6:03 pm

With my invidual enclosure, I lay down a couple inches of dirt. Then I moisted it and put the rocks down. Then I sprinkle some sand and place misc. rocks. They build their own burrows. I just try to mimic where I got them from. I guess I might try building the communal tank this weekend.

Another problem is they are all juvenile.
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/7/2008, 6:08 pm

I know this is going to sound weird, but Vietnamese your avatar looks a lot like my car. I have an '05 Pontiac GTO Maybe that's why I like the car. Not the best picture and aspect but you get the idea.

V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Pontiac_06gto_angularfront_Regular
Back to top Go down
Vietnamese510
Centruroides
Vietnamese510

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/7/2008, 6:26 pm

Athlon2k2 wrote:
I know this is going to sound weird, but Vietnamese your avatar looks a lot like my car. I have an '05 Pontiac GTO Maybe that's why I like the car. Not the best picture and aspect but you get the idea.

V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Pontiac_06gto_angularfront_Regular

ytes mine picture of enclosure is in the show off your scoprion en closures ahha
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/6craccincuhzz
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/7/2008, 7:26 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
Down to four. Sad

Apparently these guys have big appetites, 'cause all the roaches I put in are gone -- after a few days, when all my other communities still have roaches in there after over a month sometimes.

I tossed in some more roaches and I'll keep a closer eye on them.

How do you know? Did you find remains or one just missing?
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/7/2008, 10:55 pm

I found remains. Sad
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/8/2008, 2:54 am

Sad
awwww.

Maybe somethings are meant to be the way they are and not changed?

but you tried

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Vietnamese510
Centruroides
Vietnamese510

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/8/2008, 6:04 am

hey its okay ill keep updating with mine i just hope none of mine get eatin ;'( to of the littlest ones got eatin but i still have 9 more in there Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/9/2008, 9:20 pm

Checked again today . . . found the pair of larger ones (the females) hiding together and the two smaller ones (the males) hiding separately -- no further deaths. There were still a couple roaches left from the last time I checked but I tossed in a few small ones for the males.
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

Number of posts : 662
Location : Sw. Georgia, Home of the Hentzi King and the C. hentzi army

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 10:01 am

the is awesome to hear, i would say you have no worries
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 10:57 am

See, that's what I was thinking, until I looked in last night. I saw the biggest female (upper right in pic) munching on one of her smaller tankmates. Evil or Very Mad There was plenty of prey in there, too.

V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 IMG_0786

I'll be separating them today.
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 12:55 pm

That sucks to hear. I decided to keep all five of mine seperate. At least we all know now some of there behaviors.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 1:42 pm

Im sorry you have to break it all up now. But maybe its not a case of being well fed but they know they are different from each other and in their world they dont like others who are different

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 4:55 pm

Well, I'd kept hearing half the people say "they're highly cannibalistic" and the other half saying "they do great together." Obviously I wound up with a cannibalistic bunch.

I sexed the remainder -- I've got a big female in her own tank now, and a smaller male and female. I'll separate the two smaller ones when I get home as I don't want to risk losing my only male.

On a side note, how big are mature V. spinigerus? I'm wondering if she's so ornery because she's gravid. I mean, she's FAT, but I'm guessing that's in part from eating a whole scorpion last night -- and premolt scorps don't feed. She's about an inch with her tail curled up.
Back to top Go down
Vietnamese510
Centruroides
Vietnamese510

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 4:57 pm

hmm i have like 3 big ones that could be females

and the rest are small little guys i dont really know but they are doing really nice together and they did not eat each other only 2 of the littlest ones got eatin up the first day but after that they are doing really fine
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 5:00 pm

I hope you have better luck than I did! Smile
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/10/2008, 5:54 pm

I think they get up to about 3 inches from mouth to start of tail.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/19/2008, 1:59 am

Update . . .

The two that I left together are still fine -- added some extra prey last night.

The cannibal is still a big ol' bad-tempered fatty. I haven't fed her since she last ate a roommate (it was quite a meal).
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/19/2008, 2:18 pm

Bad tempered and a fatty, sounds preggers to me my friend!
xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/19/2008, 2:54 pm

That's what I'm thinking -- and kind of hoping.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/19/2008, 3:56 pm

I think that more then likely is the case! Just hang on, wait and see and im sure there will be babies!
She sounds preggers to me!

Good luck!!!

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/22/2008, 12:53 pm

The community attempt is over for the time being. I got tired of my H. arizonensis kicking sand out of her shallow tank, so I took the two remaining communal V. spinigerus out of their 2.5 gallon and filled it with wet sand to dry for the AZ hairy.

The larger of the two is almost ready to molt -- I can see the new tergites through her membrane (and she stung the cork I was using to coax her into a deli cup). Anywho, those two are in separate deli cups and the "gravid" one is still in her own small KK. After the biggest one pops (assuming she's gravid) I might try a community again after the babies have had a chance to grow.

If anyone's wondering, I put my female flat-rock into the hairy's old tank.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/22/2008, 10:08 pm

lots of moving about going on then!

xxx
Back to top Go down
Lokal
Breeder

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/31/2008, 2:17 am

I came to this thread a little late but in my experience they are very cannibalistic, unless they are the same size. Never had problems when they are all adults, every other time, I had multiple losses. Hopefully things go better now.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty3/31/2008, 10:17 am

I'll try the all-adult method, in that case. I've never heard anyone distinguish between successes and failures being due to size differences.

So I guess these guys communal nature is a bit more like barks and a bit less like forest scorps. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V. spinigerus Community Attempt   V. spinigerus Community Attempt - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

V. spinigerus Community Attempt
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next